View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A few questions? 
Selling plater

Post A few questions?
Hi, this is my first time playing the game, and theres a few things I would like to find out.

There seems to be real life jockeys in the game, but there doesnt seem to be any real life horses? I completed 2 seasons of the game and didnt see 1 horse that was real?

Another question is about training? I purchase the swimming pool and jumping training but the horses just dont seem to improve at all?

If anyone could help out that would be great.

Thanks

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:52 am
Group 1 winner

I created a realistic horse database, not all 10000+ horses were done but 2000+ were done, here's the link, but it would mean starting a new game.
http://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4158

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:46 am
Selling plater

I created a realistic horse database, not all 10000+ horses were done but 2000+ were done, here's the link, but it would mean starting a new game.
http://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4158

Ok. How accurate is this? Thanks :)

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:36 am
Group 1 winner

It'll just be names only. Horse ability varies quite alot in the game, so you might get a 'George Washington' that couldn't win a claimer or he could be a world beater.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Selling plater

Ok. Any answer on the training side of things? Thanks

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:38 am
Group 1 winner

There are lots of realistic names in the game. Like The Duke said, you might have a horse with a name of a great but it's ability won't reflect that. Kauto Star is in the game!

I'd buy all the training aids, but I don't know how much they affect the horses' abilities.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:47 pm
Selling plater

I really cant seem to get to grips with the game.

Iv started numerous new games on flats and over fences, but dont seem to win much money.

Is it a game of patience, or luck?

I have a horse win a few C2 races, and then cruise through a couple of Grade 1 races and then he is nowhere in the next 5 races. (Condition is always maximum)

Could anyone give me any tips please? Would be greatly appreciated!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 pm
Selling plater

Definetly a game of patience to begin with in my opinion.
Its all about the breeding!!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:06 pm
Handicapper

I agree with James, you're playing the long game with SO. You won't get success straight away. I reckon by about your third season it will start to make sense. The game is logical really. If you were a superb winner, winner, winner straight off you'd soon lose interest, wouldn't you? It is definitely a thinking / strategy game.

Are you on easy training or manual training. Just a thought but I have found that plenty of horses do not need to be at their very best, the peak, to do well. But they do not want to race more than six times a year, in my experience. I've also found that if a particular jockey gets on well with your horse - try and keep him on it the next time etc. Don't let your heart rule with 'favourite' jockey.

Good luck, you will make the breakthrough, it takes time. That's the beauty of it - to me at any rate!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:00 pm
Group 1 winner

Totally agree Dixie, that is the beauty of it because SO4 is a beautiful game.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:54 am
Selling plater

Yeh I think I am going to have another crack at it. Its just getting the money together to start breeding. Think I will start an easy game tonight and just see it out instead of keep starting new games

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:10 am
Group 3 winner

Most people, though not all, cheat to gain money at the start. They use 'art money' (you'd have to search threads for this as no idea how it works), or, watch for races won by a long shot, with a high priced horse second, first 2 well clear, ctrl alt del out, go back in and put a whopping reversed forecast on the result. Once you've made a reasonable amount of cash and have all the upgrades money starts to be irrelevant. Good luck with the new game.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:12 am
Selling plater

I never really use the betting side of the game, but I think I may just have to, just to earn some cash!

In terms of watching the race to see the outcome then going back to it, would the result not be different? I have tried this in 'Football Mana*er' and the result is different everytime? Or does the engine not work in the same way?

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:24 am
Group 3 winner

If the first 2 are clear of the rest the result tends to stay the same, maybe first 2 places reversed that's why i would do a reversed forecast. have a pre meeting bet then one at the races too, double the winnings. Betting is the only way really to get any real money to kick start things. Another way is to look for big handicaps and look for horses 50/1 or bigger that are distance and going winners, quite a lot of big handicaps are won in the game by the long priced horses, false markets

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:39 pm
Handicapper

I think most of us have done the Ctrl Alt Del 'option'. Beware though that as you say the result just might not be the same. My theory though is that early in the game things are weighed against you, just ever so slightly. If you do the results option then make a note of all six races in case one or two results do change next time through. You could look out big priced outsiders to finish in a place or win etc. The R/Fcst idea should bring money in but as I say, make a note of all SIX results 1,2,3 places.

I've never used ART money, that just makes a mockery of the game in my view although the above suggestion does too, at least it will temporarily stop you going blinking mad!

Good luck

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next