View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Grand National horses ... question, please. 
Selling plater

Post Grand National horses ... question, please.
As I understand the 'National', the most suitable horses are thus. They are supposedly 2m 6f horses with stamina and speed. I have had two runners who both get 3mls plus. However, after the race my jockeys tell me that they did not get the trip. For the purpose of the game, can anyone enlighten me as to the parameters for 'National' horses?

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:04 am
Handicapper

i dont understand that theory, for a national horse in the game id be looking for somehting that wanted 3m4 atleast and preferably wins over 3m and 4m, these types to me seem few and far between but had a few national winner based like this and never had 1 that wanted less than 3m altho am sure it maybe possible.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:15 am
Group 1 winner

I have a few 4m horses and a couple of 4m 4f horses none yet have won the National for me.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:56 am
Selling plater

Post National horses
My information is taken from real life. Some yeras ago in the local paper the prerequisites for a 'national' horse were that it was a genuine 2m6f horse which should also have good stamina and good speed. As this is only a game, I am thinking that adhering to the above criteria would not be possible within the game. I shall now search for a few 4milers.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:28 pm
Handicapper

in previous versions of SO it would of been near impossible to get a 2m6f horse to stay 4m4f but now with horses having more flexibility it cud be possible though unlikely or irregular though 3m 3m4 horses do win regularly as 4m horses im yet to come across a 4m4 horse though.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:02 pm
Handicapper

I have got 2 4mile 4 furlong horses in my stable but when running them over 4 miles the jockey said it was too far????.
So I have no idea about the national.
One did get round in 9th and the jockey said it needed further after other jockey said 4 miles was too far.
I cannot make sense of it all.

Bill

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:08 pm
Handicapper

depends how horses are ridden, how old are they usually they stay better when they get a bit older how much weight did they carry? may just not of been good enough one time and a lower weight helping it see out the distance better.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:03 pm
Group 3 winner

I did have a horse that came second in the Grand National that was an average horse at best. It had little speed but stamina in abundance and loved soft ground. That particular National was run on heavy ground and it was beaten by two lengths (and gaining).
The following year it came a distant fifth on good ground.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:55 pm
Group 1 winner

yeh you want your national horse to be experienced, a bt older. you will have 4mile horses who at 4, 5 dont want to run further than 3 miles!!

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 pm
Group 3 winner

most GN horses are 3m4f + usually 8yo or older

and most are in the daily sales for little money

as they aint gonna win no grade races...

this is what i look out for and im told im quite good at finding stayers

or National horses as they call them..

this will help you find them just stick to the criteria above ok

gl

Paul(LR)

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:48 pm
Group 1 winner

Just to add to this. The old theory was that a National horse should be a horse who wants 2m4f because it would be quick enough to get itself out of trouble and hopefully stay as they went a bit slower in the National. But now with modern training methods, the fact that horses are so much quicker, the fact that the course has changed and the fact that horses go faster in the race this theory has been completely disproved, a 2m4f horse COULD win the National but it's got no better chance than a horse who wants 4m4f.

As for the game they are few and far between, I usually find they're horses who I can only really run in the National because they're not fast enough for anything else.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:55 pm
Selling plater

just thought id put my bit in and let u no i won it with a horse called aludra it runs over 4m and only races 4 times a year it is 9yr it was on a rating of 96 and had never won a race before so i think it just goes t show anything can win it really

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:26 pm
Group 1 winner

I always look for 7-8yo with a 4m, 4m4f distance.... Just started a new game and came across this beauty within a few seasons, just bought for a minimal amount at the after racing sales, can't remember how much but it was cheap! My own little Red Rum!!! In 7 Nationals, Won 3, 2nd once and fell 3 times! If only he learn't to jump earlier!!! Also bucks the rubbish horse wins the national, a Cesarewitch and Doncaster Cup says so! Suppose I just got lucky only bought it one season in!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:52 pm
Group 3 winner

I find that its best to get a top class flat horse that stays 2 mile 2+ and also stays 4 mile + over fences. They dont usually see out the 4 mile 4 trip of the Aintree Grand National until they are 8. I think that 10 year olds are best for the Grand National.

My best National horse was a horse I bought in auction called Paco Boy who had won the Melbourne Cup twice. He went on to win the Ascot Gold Cup 3 times for me. Since he was a gelding I put him over fences as an 8 year old for the first time. His record in the Grand National was F112314.

I may have another one in the making. I bought a 2 year old called Enviromental. Didnt run him until he was 4. He was unplaced in a maiden and then won 4 handicaps in a row. I put him in the deep end in the Ascot Gold Cup and he won it and he followed up the following season. This season he won the Cheltenham Gold Cup on his 3rd run over fences. Hoping to win his 3rd Ascot Gold Cup in a row and then next season I hope to run him in the National.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:50 pm
Group 1 winner

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]