View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Breeding Indicators? 
Selling plater

Post Breeding Indicators?
I have recently been breeding really amazing horses (by my standards, lol they probably aren't great in actuality) and it brought me to thinking what are the important factors other people look for in breeding.

So I ask you: What do you personally look for in a breeding? Not the outcome of the foal, but the actual stats of each horse and how they relate to you "breeding" strategy?

I just thought it would be interesting to see other peoples views on how to create the best foal possible, minus the random factor : P

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:21 am
Group 2 winner

I never breed from stallions/mares that get red triangles in there races(you will see these beside the dates on the form summary for the horse) I will breed from horses that get pink triangles as long as they ran well in the race, you want to breed from horses that get blue triangles this means the horse was relaxed in the race and hopefully this will be passed on to an foals.

About 95% of my stable are small build laid back horses this is a result of my breeding, I'm not saying small build laid back horses are best.

As a rule I never breed from horses that required headgear, Other trainers may breed from them personal I don't.

Personal I never breed from horses that are closely related this is just because I like realism in my game, I will breed from horses that have the same great grandsire/dam some very good horses have had this in there lines, Rock of Gibraltar had Northern Dancer as a great grandsire on both sides for one. I have seen some very good horses that are a result of inbreeding but it is just a personal preference not to.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:44 am
Selling plater

Recently all of my horses have been laid back, I bred a few good mares and so far my best stock is coming from them, all of which are laid back.

On the downside one of them has a large build, she did pretty well, but has only passed it down to one or two of her foals, none of which I kept.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:54 am
Handicapper

Why is a large build a bad trait ??? Don't you get more strength in a bigger horse ?

Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:45 am
Selling plater

They don't take turns as well as normal sized horses, and presumably its harder to get in between horses if you got boxed in.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 am
Handicapper

Post sorry if posted before
does anyone know the exact indicators for breeding a grand national horse

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]