View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 New to the game 
Selling plater

Post New to the game
Hello. I heard about this game on another message board and I decided to give it a go. I don't know much about horse racing, but I decided to try it anyway, and I love it. I was really struggling early (although I had tons of money because I accidentally sold my 2 best horses in selling races :oops: ) so I put out 2 of my horses who were both born of former grade 1 winners but were pretty bad themselves, averaged handicaps in the 50s. I bred them to make a horse that I named End of Mediocrity (because I wanted to win, dammit :P ), who is currently a 4 year old stallion that has won 3 times in Grade 3 races, once in Grade 2, so not bad (I think). I've since used my money on two good, older horses who helped earn me some more money and are now in the breeding circle as well.

One thing I'm seeing is that the other trainers are constantly putting their horses out to stud when they are 4 or 5. End of Mediocrity is already 4, so should I be putting him out to stud soon? I guess what I'm asking is, how old should my horses usually be before I put them out to stud?

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:37 pm
Group 1 winner

Hi Damien, it all depends mate when your horses are peaking. For instance l try and train all my horses to peak at 3yo. So if in CK they are no good at 3 l dont even send to stud. If your horse wins nothing at 3yo then starts winning group 1s at 4yo then expect his offspring to follow suit. Doesnt always work mate but just always breed your best with your best

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:40 pm
Handicapper

Hey there Damien. Like Mike I retired mine at 3 but for different reasons. I want to be able to breed those horses for as many years as possible. So by retiring them early especially very good stallions, I get to breed them with alot more fillies/mares. So you get more quality offsprings. Instead of having that one super horse, maybe that horse can produce 2 or 3?

You don't have to retire them early. If you want to see him continue to win G1s later in his career its your choice. It's just preference I guess.....

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:01 pm
Selling plater

As a 5 year old, End of Mediocrity only went 3/17 or so and didn't win any Grade 3 or above races, so I think it's time to end his career with his being a grade 2 winner. :(

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]