View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Breeding going all wrong ? 
Selling plater

Post Breeding going all wrong ?
I am now into season 14 2023 but the breeding seems to have gone to pot.

I am breeding multi G1 winners at specific distances but their progeny are coming out at distances way above the desired distance.

example 2 multi G1 milers = 1m3f and it isnt just the one horse it is happening with quite a lot of them.

1m4f = 1m6f/2m

6f+6f = 1m

They do still prefer the mile trip but it's making it a nightmare remembering which like a mile and not what the trip says on screen, more so with a full 100 stable.

Anybody else see it go so wrong like this ?

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:54 pm
Group 1 winner

This usually happens as your horses in the barn get older and their stamina increases (thus bringing your progeny with more stamina). I tend to only keep my breeding barn crop until 13 and then bin them and keep rotating strike - this way they should breed as they should I've found.

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Selling plater

That will be it as some of the sires are older than 13 as you suggest, im sure one is even 17.

Well I shall thin them out this season.

Also having a struggle getting 5f sprinters any tips ?

Have plenty of 2yo 5f winners but ultimately they are milers, cant get an actual 5f 2yo to win one of the Group races and at best they step up to G3 at 3yo but when bred the offspring just do the same.

Never getting a good 5f mare is crippling my chances in this department.

Thanks for the help Duke.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:47 pm
Group 3 winner

Getting a good sprinter is a rarity. I have had one in all the time I have been playing. Have had some reasonable ones that peak at group3, evn group 2 every now and then, but a sprinter that can consistently perform in group 1 is like gold dust.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:42 pm
Site Admin

This usually happens as your horses in the barn get older and their stamina increases (thus bringing your progeny with more stamina). I tend to only keep my breeding barn crop until 13 and then bin them and keep rotating strike - this way they should breed as they should I've found.

That should not happen. The breeding works by passing on base seed parameters that do not change during a horses life time. So the age of the parents should make no difference. If it does then something is wrong. Let me know if you are sure about this and what parameters it seems to affect.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:49 pm
Group 1 winner

Quote:

That should not happen. The breeding works by passing on base seed parameters that do not change during a horses life time. So the age of the parents should make no difference. If it does then something is wrong. Let me know if you are sure about this and what parameters it seems to affect.

I am 100% sure Mark, and it has been happening since as long as I can remember. As horses age in the barn their stamina seems to increase as does their 'av breed dist'. If I have two 1m4f horses, then eventually they will breed a 1m6f horse as their 'av bred dist' will change to reflect the extra stamina.

A couple other more experienced trainers (Scatters I think) have noticed the same thing happening, it seems the problem was resolved in SO3 but seems to have resurfaced again in SO4.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 pm
Group 1 winner

This happens to me in the breeding barn also.

Cannot find the post i put in the league awhile ago, about age increases in the barn.

Found it's minely my 2m 5yo go upto 2m4f 6yo
2m4f 5yo going upto 3m 6yo

Also could be something up with the Jumps side in the CK, Far to many Inconsistant results. Seems strange, if you had a stand out horse it would show, not any more very annoying.

Could be me, but i've benn told by other trainer's thinking somethings not right.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:58 pm
Group 1 winner

Yes defo happens mark, in some cases when i check the barn my horses pref distance has changed. 100% sure as certain horses get older the stamina increases and is passed on. Maybe this is only for bred horses and not game horses. I think it is good to have this, as it adds even more randomness into breeding, last thing we want is all to be able to create monsters regular

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 pm
Group 3 winner

Your offspring tend to not have the preferred distance shown, but instead, either that of the mare or the stallion. As you go through generation after generation, then I was suppose this gets muddled. If you breed a miler with a 5f horse, you will get either a miler or a 5 furlong horse. The offspring's preferred distance might show as say 7 furlongs, but it will not be this, it will be as previously stated. If you breed 2 1mile 4furlong horses together, but one has say a 1mile 6 furlong horse in it's pedigree, then, for whatever vagaries, you might well get a mile 6 furlong offspring. As these are set in machine code, it cannot suddenly randomise or change 'over time', especially as Mark says it isn't built into the code.

When you buy a horse from auction with a 'preferred' distance of say a mile, but it turns out to be a 10 or 12 furlong horse, which do you go by for breeding? In the breeding barn it will show as a miler, but it actually is a 10 furlong, or a 12 furlong horse, all these muddy the waters. As stated by a previous poster, it all adds to the unknown of the breeding side. It would be boring to 'know' you're going to definitely get a horse that is , for example, a miler. The little imponderables add to the realism.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]