View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 SO5 Issues & Bugs Report Thread 
Group 1 winner

Post SO5 Issues & Bugs Report Thread
Other thread has become somewhat overgrown, so I need to go through it, clear off what has been fixed, and move over any and all problems still outstanding.
At some point next week, patch 1.004 will be released, so please wait until then before raising issues and please also check to see if said issue has already been raised, in order to cut down on duplicate postings.
For the benefit of simplicity, all issues dealt with in patch 1.004, I'll cut from the list.

If you have modified data other than the schedule files and get a crash please do not post as stated elsewhere this can cause problems. Especially changing the showcase database files.

Outstanding problems ....

-> In the owner mode, jumps trainers are being given horses to train in the flat only game.

-> Trainer not receiving correct cut of prizemoney in owner mode.

-> Wind ops sometimes reverting back a day later.

-> Can't retain a pro jockey for the jumps and one for the flat, as hiring one fires the other.

-> End Of Season awards being awarded to some strange horses some, who haven't even won a race.

-> Course issues -

The inner chute to the finish line is never used at Cartmel and the last fence is the water jump.

Auteuil needs to be left-handed with the back of the racecourse utilised further.

-> (Panther) The spread of preferred distances for overseas horses in the UK game (and possibly the other games too) is very heavily biased towards sprinters, even though sprints only provide a minority of the overseas races available. I know that Mark introduced a system for SO5 whereby the horses for overseas countries that only have one race in a schedule are relevant to that race - so, in the default UK schedule, most Australian horses are stayers, and most German and Canadian horses are middle distance ones. That works fine. However, when you have more than one race for any country, it doesn't seem to take into account how many races there are for each distance, and creates mostly sprinters for each country, even when there is usually far more 1m, 1m2f and 1m4f races compared to sprints.

Sat May 05, 2012 12:00 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Reply
PLEASE NOTE

b) When posting bugs please post as much information as possible to help locate and fix the bug. This also includes the GAME MODE you are playing as a bug in one game mode may not exist in another.

c) The combined schedule mode has a number of intertwined problems that are currently being explored. As such, I have not included the obvious ones on the list above for that reason, but we are aware of them. Likewise, we know about the problems with the in-game editor. It has been disable to avoid further problems, and will be re-activated when fully functioning again.

d) The owner mode is a work in progress, what you would like to see added is NOT a bug and can be aired on a different thread. This thread is for bugs/problems only; In order for problems to be picked up on, it is important that this thread remains clean, so once posts have been read, they will be removed.

e) Read the damn lists before posting, so that we can avoid the ridiculous amount of duplicate posts that the old thread ended up with and let's try and keep things nice and simple.

(If there are any spelling mistakes in the jockey / trainer files, list them, I'll get the main file corrected ready for update in a future patch ie. Guillambert and Heffernan)

Sat May 05, 2012 2:12 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: SO5 Issues & Bugs Report Thread
I have released patch 1.004 a couple of days early. I still have work to do on the combined schedule mode but as a crash bug has been fixed and the backup option has also been fixed it makes sense to get the patch out. Hopefully and remaining problems with the combined schedule can be fixed later this week.

The backup option must be enabled in the OPTIONS menu at the start of the game.

What it does now is back up your main game file once every three game days. Should you have problems you can revert to the backup by:

1. Opening explorer.
2. Clicking on DOCUMENTS (under LIBRARIES).
3. Browse STARTERSORDERS5 > SAVES and delete the problem save file. If slot 2 then the file will be named ‘2.sav’.
4. Rename the ‘2.bak’ to ‘2.sav’. If you do have an issue and backing up does not fix please email in to support@startersorders.com

The fuzzy font table issue should now be fixed also.

As stated elsewhere if you cannot update correctly email in from your paypal email or email in and quote your purchase ref or key: support@startersorders.com.

Tue May 08, 2012 9:57 am
Site Admin

Quote:
To add to this both games where my schedules so is the globe effecting data at all? Both game slots are now blank, option is there to load but then get error message

The patch will always overwrite all data. So if you have modified then you install the patch and right away copy your modified data back (before running the game).

Fri May 11, 2012 7:52 am
Selling plater

Couple of MINOR points.

End of year summary always states players season winnings £0 and rank 1 (im not top trainer by a long chalk)

When watching a race the button that says LEADER to focus on the race leader has disappeared. Also when you click on a name it zooms in but not necessarily on that horse. Also if a riderless jockey is leading the camera focuses on it instead of the actual race leader. Also at some tracks the lead horse is almost right up against the edge of the screen so you cant see the fences coming, can the focus not be central?

Gallops result in horses getting injured far too often. Ive tried all kinds of training schedules taking it slow etc. and when I want to get that last bit of fitness into them id say about 25% of the time a gallop results in an injury if declared to race, even if on a flat surface (no jumps)

Horses not settling regardless of pacifiers. (cant find where it states what each one does anyway) Or if its been gelded.

On the main screen the declarations part needs to be moved right as the horses rating if in 3 figures overwrites the date of the next race the horse runs in.

In the Hall of Fame there is something which says show player owned horses only but this is behind the list of horses.
Racing on Christmas day?!?

I have never seen racing with thunder and lightning in the background its just unrealistic so by all means have heavy rain but storms?

Vets diagnosis £120? You'd be lucky to have a small animal's vets bill that low! Should be £500 or so to give players a financial decision.

Cheering when horses go past the finish line on the first circuit. May happen at Cheltenham on the opening race of the festival but not everyday racing. Also can we have a few different cheers (which was a great addition as is people at the finishing line) rather than the WOOOOO one constantly and also how about no cheering when an outsider comes in? I highly doubt half the crowd backed that 66-1 winner that just came in.

And more buildings, enclosures, parade rings etc but no silly bouncy castles and such like.

Again these improvements would add to realism. Great game though. Money well spent.

Thanks.

Last edited by HazzyP on Sat May 12, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat May 12, 2012 4:40 pm
Group 1 winner

HazzyP wrote:
Re. PACIFIERS. Im pretty sure the clue is in the question and a "pacifier" is used to pacify a horse ie. relax it. So settling a horse would surely come under this sphere.

"Pacifiers – a mesh invention put over a horse’s eyes used to try to help excitable horses relax or “pacify” them."
"Also used in Australian racing are "pacifiers," which are a blinker style hood with mesh eye-covers, thought by some to calm horses."

Two quotes from many. Im sure cheekpieces are the best pacifier for a horse as blinkers and a visor is more for concentration but will still help to pacify an excitable horse.

Pacify definition: "To ease the anger or agitation of." An agitated horse is one that will not settle yes? Therefore pacifiers SHOULD attempt to remedy this.

If they dont work then why are they a game option?

The name is misleading but actually from my experience they are used to help horses concentrate, and I have NEVER heard of them being used to calm horses. Personally I would NEVER, EVER put blinkers, a visor or Australian blinkers on a horse who pulled hard and didn't settle in it's work. It's just asking for trouble. When they are used they are usually on buzzy types, or horses who think or worry too much who find there is much more to concentrate on than their job.

Blinkers are used to make the horse look forwards only and not side to side or behind them, the aim is to get the horse running forwards rather than slowing down to look around.

A Visor has a slit at the back of the eye cup allowing the horse a little more vision so it can see a little of what is coming up behind it, again they restrict vision but to aid concentration but not as much as blinkers.

Cheek pieces, are to stop the horse looking around again and come in a variety of sizes. They're great for horses who hate having their heads covered with hoods. They prevent the horse seeing behind it and dependent on the size also prevent some sideways vision. Often they are used instead of blinkers in NH racing because some people consider the use of blinkers unsafe. Again they aid concentration and will help the horse to do its job. i.e. run faster.

Nose bands again come in a variety of sizes but they stop the horse holding its head too high. More often seen in NH racing where horses have a tendency to race with a high head carriage and therefore not see their obstacles. They are less of a concentration aid and more of a behavior 'modifier' in that they prevent the horse holding it's head too high and make it hold it's head lower so it can see better but also a lower head carriage means the horse can bend its back and jump easier and better. Therefore potentially reducing the risk of back injury.

The Australian blinkers you mentioned like the ones Choisir wore at Royal Ascot have a mesh so that the horse has to concentrate hard on looking at where it is going rather than at its surroundings. Again used to try to make the horse go faster, I also have heard of them being used in place of the American 'hood' which just covers the face to protect a horse who doesn't like kick back on the dirt or on a synthetic surface.

None of these are to 'pacify' or 'calm' horses. They are all used to help the horse concentrate and run faster. In my opinion and experience from using them nothing about them pacifies a horses behavior, usually only makes them more 'fizzy' and makes them gallop faster.

One piece of kit which could be considered to pacify a horse is ear plugs or the hoods that Sir Henry Cecil has started to use on some of his horses. Notably Frankel's brother. Long Run wears ear plugs to prevent too much crowd and racecourse sound reaching his ears so that he can keep calm and hold it together and run to the best of his abilities. They do help a horse keep calm at a racecourse. A few years ago there was a case where a french horse (completely forget the name, its a very obvious one though...) had his ear plugs pulled out in the home straight so that the sounds got to him to make him go faster and run away from them.

In the game they are used to liven up lazy horses or horses who are not concentrating. Not to 'settle' excitable types.

Sun May 13, 2012 9:56 am
Group 1 winner

For me having read through the lists, the bugs I would most like to see get rid of before I get the game are the auteil and Newmarket courses to get them correct( though actually the July course is correct as they turn right handed on that, it's just the stands are on the inside of the track), seeing the right horses on the gallops, getting the crowd and stands in the right place and being able to retain a jump and a flat jockey at the same time.

Sun May 13, 2012 5:48 pm
Selling plater

Thanks for the reply to my other post but having done some further research im sure cheekpieces are can be used to calm excitable horses, so why have 3 options (blinkers, visor and cheekpieces) if they fundamentally do the same thing? Why not have cheekpieces as a pacifier then? Im sure it could be easily programmed.

Anyway! Ive noticed there are not a lot of opportunities for races 3m+ day to day and the ones that are available always seem to be feature races. Id like so see more 3m 3.2m 3.4m races in the game which would better represent real racing. Im sitting with an average 3.4m horse but have no races to put him in as hes not good enough for listed races but theres no alternative!

Mon May 14, 2012 5:21 pm
Group 1 winner

More of an issue than a bug...

There is a huge number of 2yo maidens from the end of March up until around 10th April, most of which feature sprinters, with a few milers, which is fine. Then, after that, the 2yo maidens become much more spread out, but they nearly all feature unraced middle distance horses, with average preferred distances of 1m2f-1m4f. There shouldn't be 5f maidens for 2yo in April that only feature middle distance horses! These races should still feature sprinters/milers that haven't yet won a race, like they did in previous versions of SO. Then, from July, there should be an increase in 7f 2yo maidens, with 1m maidens appearing from August - this is where many of the middle distance horses should start their careers. Sprint maidens can still appear throughout the season, but they should be for shorter-distance horses that haven't won a race and aren't up to group/listed standard.

Tue May 15, 2012 9:10 am
Site Admin

If your post has been deleted.

Either the problem is known (and I haven't updated the first post in this thread) or the problem has not been replicated (but will be on one of my lists) or the problem has been fixed (and maybe not released yet).

Also this thread needs to be kept as tidy as possible so 'conversational' posts are removed.

Tue May 29, 2012 4:05 pm
Group 1 winner

Like I said before its because the flat season ends in November you get the dash.

Mark the big problem is that yearlings are still going missing for a season then coming back as 2yo's again. This would be great if they came in as 3yo's because you can't race jumps 2yo's anyway. But Legend reported that they were coming back at 2 again. Please, please could you take a look at this because it plagued me in SO4 and it was never fixed, even though some said it was. Please, please, please!

Wed May 30, 2012 1:57 pm
Selling plater

When the ground comes up as soft, and the tip is that "ground may be better near side", and you select "prefer near side" on the jockey instructions, the "hands and heels only" box is ticked instead when you scroll back through your jockey instructions for your horses.

Anyone else noticed this?

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:41 am
Group 1 winner

On the breeding screen for a jumps only game there is no wins under the Group Wins column even though the horses have won them, it makes it easier for me to select the breeding partner for my horses when I can see this information, works ok for the flat side of the breeding, is it possible for this to be added, thanks. :D

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:44 pm
Selling plater

As above the lack of group markers when breeding is an issue which would be useful if rectified.

I have also noticed when breeding and you look at your yearlings list there is no total and you have to laboriously scroll through them and count them up to make sure you have the capacity to keep them next season. I also think the maximum capacity should be raised and general rent should go up accordingly (maybe much more expensively to reflect the extensive extra space needed and to combat multi millions in the bank).

Again I feel I need to mention the sales value of some 2 year olds being too high (1 million plus for an AVERAGE BRED HORSE). MY point is you breed and train season after season to try and win say the Gold Cup. You finally do it and recieve a nice fat cheque of a few hundred thousand. Great. But then for the last few seasons one of youre average 2 year olds sold for 1.5m making your training efforts pointless certainly financially.

The finances have to be made more restrictive or breeding more expensive / more likely to fail to give the game more longevity. EG. I breed my average horses with all the top stallions (with the 1.5m from my "fluke" bred horse) then I sell them all and make a massive profit. Do this for a few seasons and you have a bank full of numbers meaning you can basically do what the hell you like and be in no worry of going bust.

End of season awards. Hurdler is spelt wrong (Hurldler) and the wins results still shows as zero and rank is 1. Surely a total is not hard to program?

Theres other niggles which I should have written down but will post accordingly.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:54 pm
Group 1 winner

I dont know if anyone has said this ( im new) but i've noticed that the Midlands National is wrong in the showcase files because it says its run at Kilbeggan( theres no Kilbeggan ) and it comes up as Tipperary in the game.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next