View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 What does '' horse runs a little freely '' mean ? 
Selling plater

Post What does '' horse runs a little freely '' mean ?
Fellas , when a jockey reports '' horse ran a little freely '' what does that mean exactly and is it a good trait or bad ?

If bad, what do you do to counteract it ?

Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: What does '' horse runs a little freely '' mean ?
The horse pulled too hard and used up too much energy early. It is a problem with the game ignore it. If you gr 'not Seattle's then geld or sell the horse.

Wed May 16, 2012 6:42 pm
Selling plater

i also have horses that '' struggle to settle '' , even 7/8 year olds ( i could understand 3/4 yr olds) , what tips has anyone got for getting them to settle , how do you do it ?

Wed May 16, 2012 7:44 pm
Selling plater

hey ,ate click on the horse with the problem and in the bottom right corner there should be geld horse click that and you shouldn't experience the problem anymore and the horse should run better with its rating improving.

Wed May 16, 2012 8:13 pm
Handicapper

Well I can understand young horses having a period of greeness due to being unexperienced, but for an older horse that is strange.

Pacifiers are there for a reason, so I would imagine it is a matter of finding out what is causing the horse to be un-settled and to pacify the cause. Head stable lad can sometimes give you an indication to the cause although it is fairly rare.

Blinkers are applied over the horses eyes if they are easily distracted, which could be the unsettled message you are seeing, therefore enabling the horse to remain focused. It maybe that a horse likes to lead from the front and when it isn't it becomes distracted and sulks. There could be other reasons such as the horse is just not really a racehorse :(

Also the horse 'would not settle' could be related to the paddock reading before the race. If your horse is more agitated before a race than normal which is denoted by the up red arrows this coudl cause the horse to perform poorly and appear unsettled. Generally hiring a paddock/start staff member would make this event un-common fortunately.

Wed May 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Group 1 winner

With regard to struggling to settle in an older horse, it could be because the pace of the race was too slow and the horse was too keen. Try it in another race with plenty of front runners. The age of the horse means nothing, just because it is older doesn't mean it will be any more sensible.

Don't put pacifiers on horses which don't settle, pacifiers are for the opposite problem. I.e. a horse being lazy or not concentrating. Just geld the horse or sell it and buy another.

Wed May 16, 2012 9:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]