View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 New Starter 
Selling plater

Post New Starter
Hi all
I'm new to this game and just wondered is the any online guides about to help us newbees or is it a case of looking through the forums to find the odd tip. I'm not to sure about the jockey instructions (is it just trial and error) and finding it hard to keep hold of my money due to me not getting many winners. Any pointers

cheers

Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: New Starter
Welcome mate.

It's really a matter of trial and error and it is fairly difficult to advise which is the best route to take.

My first several games I ran out of money due to bad investments and plain bad luck in getting poor starting stables.

By all means don't feel oblige to follow these steps but they lead me to my first successful stable.

1. Start on easy, this gives you £200,000 and gives you the most horses you can start with. In my experience the Easy option does not make the races any easier to win (although no one has said it does or doesnt), to me it just gives you an easier start out in your career.

2. Don't be afraid to restart the game over and over until you get a good starting stable of horses (i.e) a few nice looking 2 year olds and a fairly nice rated horse, in my instance I was happy with a 80f which became a superstar for me earning 5.5 Million :)

3. Do not splash out on many Stable mod cons at the start. I only purchased the training stalls (advances starting speed). You are most likely to make a loss in your first year (happened to me in many of my games when i started out).

4. When I don't know a horse I never give any special instructions on the first run. I watch how the horse performs during the race, and also I read the jockey's feed back at the end. From these observations I choose the way the horse will run in future meets. You will start to get a feel for how a horse wants to run after experience.

If you have paticular issues or queries then by all means ask them, but it is hard to give a definative walkthrough for newer player as we may all have different styles and outlooks on how to manage a stable :)

Tue May 15, 2012 8:23 pm
Group 1 winner

I'm glad there are so many new members. The points above are good ones, if you start with a horse rated 85+ then you should get at least 1 group win from it either allowing you to start breeding where you can make mega money selling the offspring or by selling it for a million or so.

There are loads of tips and some very extensive guides all over the forum so I'd suggest searching it (search box top LHS of this page) A lot will be for SO4 but pretty much the same rules apply so don't think those guides will be outdated.

As GG said it is best to learn by trying different methods, rather than following someone's 'guide to making millions'. Some people do fantastically in the game but I think it's better to learn how to do well yourself. If you do get really stuck then there are loads of people on here who can offer their help and experience.

Wed May 16, 2012 10:32 am
Selling plater

thanks i'll give your tips a go

Wed May 16, 2012 7:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]