View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Are the modders giving up? 
Group 1 winner

Post Are the modders giving up?
Maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to be little activity in regards to mods being developed for the game. Is it just too difficult to incorporate them into SO7 or is the game just too bug ridden for them to run stable enough? The game mods section of the forum is particularly quiet lately.

This post is just my own opinion/perception and in no way a criticism of those of you who have produced some excellent mods for the series to date.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:56 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Are the modders giving up?
Many of the mods from SO6 convert over to SO7 with some minor tweaking. Showcase files need some heavier tweaking and can take a while to do, especially when they're a whole new format. I've spent like two months redoing the showcase files just for my own game. Portrait mods aren't worthwhile to do at the moment due to them not working like SO6. Tracks can effectively be imported from SO6. Trainer and jockey portraits might be imported from SO6 (haven't tried honestly). Seems to be some bugs regarding jockey silks and adding new ones. Horse skin mods have only just replaced existing skins so aren't worthwhile to do unless you really want to differentiate colors more than they are already. Mods with trainers, jockeys, etc can likely be brought over from SO6 with some tweaks. Or are you looking for UI mods to change the various images? I tried to do a map mod to update all of the maps to HD because the Singapore one looks awful and I was contemplating adding the Mexican and Argentinian tracks to the US showcase, but then I realized I had to remap every stable and stud. I finished the US and Canadian tracks, started into the UK ones, and threw in the towel. I went back to the old map. In the end, I only achieved moving the US and Canadian tracks and studs to be more properly located rather than having something like Arkansas/Oaklawn look like it's in Arizona or something. Also moved the Canadian tracks to the Canadian racecourses file rather than having them be in the US file and added like another 20 US tracks although all are redirects. I can't make a track because the editor crashes on me inside 5 seconds every time I try and I'm too lazy to download tracks made by others.

There's not much to do with mods that hasn't been done already with SO6. What are you hoping to see for SO7 that hasn't been done in SO6 already? More schedules people have made? More tracks? Silks? Horse portraits? Updated showcases? When a new version of a game like The Sims comes out, people immediately pounce to update their favorite content for the new game, but when there's only minor tweaks between versions, there's not much to do when you can just transfer a creation from one version to the next. Aside from showcase updating, there's not much to add to SO7.

Chances are many just have mods for themselves, too. I have a schedule right now I'm working on with something like 3300 races in it. I never intend to release it since it's just for myself and requires you have to replace every flat showcase file. That's a bit much to keep up with every time a patch is released. I don't want people hollering at me because their game broke after they installed a patch and failed to replace the files again. I'm getting irritated doing it and wish the game had a mods folder already.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:07 am
Handicapper

I think I'm just not a fan of this edition of the game honestly. All the effort people put in over year's to make so6 great, and it never really was possible, I mean we saw good mods, but problems attached to most, in a lot of cases problems that were nothing to do with the modders. If that isn't a big motivation killer I don't know what is, perhaps enough is enough.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:22 pm
Group 1 winner

nathd88 wrote:
I think I'm just not a fan of this edition of the game honestly. All the effort people put in over year's to make so6 great, and it never really was possible, I mean we saw good mods, but problems attached to most, in a lot of cases problems that were nothing to do with the modders. If that isn't a big motivation killer I don't know what is, perhaps enough is enough.

My view too, I have to concur with you Nath

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:09 pm
Group 1 winner

I’m loving SO7. My schedule mod will take several weeks, due to the amount of work and testing that I’m putting into it, and the fact that a lot more information relating to the 2019 season will be made available in the coming weeks. I hope to have it ready to coincide with the beta phase ending, or shortly after that. Not much need for me to post anything here before that.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:16 am
Handicapper

I have done the general GUI, but I don't really delve any further than that.

Is there something specific you are after GS63?

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:54 pm
Group 3 winner

Wow

I want it now!!!

What`s with the wait? I should be able to download it before you even thought about it. Man this is boring!

LOL

The program is still in beta. If modders work/publish, it`s still not sure that it will work once the program is out of beta stage.

Patience.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]