View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 New Addition for Racecourse Editor 
Selling plater

Post New Addition for Racecourse Editor
Hello fellow racecourse designers.
Just recently I approached Mark about the possibility of creating our own 3D objects for Starters Orders 7.
In fact to be truthful I more like pleaded with him until he finally relented. LOL!
Anyway over the past week or so I have been helping Mark test an upcoming feature that I think is going to please anyone familiar with the Starters Orders Editor.

What Mark has done is create a converter that converts 3D objects from (.X) format to the SO7 (.K3d) format.
What does that mean for you?
Well, if you have some knowledge of 3D files and can create your own or download royalty free 3D models from the internet, then there will soon be a way to convert those to a format that can be used in the game.

Trust me it is definitely worth the effort if you want completely new 3D objects in the game.
For me personally I have SketchUp installed on my computer (and yes there is a free version available online) and this is the program I use to create my own 3D models.
SketchUp also has an extension available online called MMD Accessory (.X FILE) Exporter and this extension is what gives sketchup the ability to export 3D models to the(.X) format.
From there Marks new converter feature then creates (.K3D) files from those (.X) files and these can then be used in the game.

For those of you that can use the editor but are a little shy of 3D model creation, rest easy as I'm sure many users will eventually share their new 3D models.
That way you too will be able to experience some new and exciting additions to the editor.

Mark has stated though guys that this feature is not yet active but should be available soon in a future update.

Here are some editor pics below of things I've added to my courses.

Additional Gum Trees

Additional Vehicles

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:26 pm
Group 3 winner

Post Re: New Addition for Racecourse Editor
Wow they look amazing will you be releasing them at anytime

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:59 pm
Group 1 winner

This is the last toy I needed to have lololol. There goes my free time!
Just kidding. This is very cool and I look forward to trying it out. Will make my courses even more realistic.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:14 am
Profile WWW
Selling plater

Hi again guys.
LOL! Yes you will lose sleep MJ.

When making models though guys its best to keep the poly count as low as possible.
Too many new high detailed objects will affect frame rates on lower spec machines.
It is in fact why I use just one high detail gum tree on my course and then duplicate it many times and change its look by adjusting its size and its X, Y , Z scales.

Here's a pic below of what I'll call a stewards tower. It's only 310 polys so it loads easily in the editor.

I've also worked out that I can now also create that real life jump that I've always wanted at Oakbank ...... the fallen log jump.
See below:

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:30 am
Site Admin

The conversion option should be in the next patch. Obviously this is not for everyone as it's quite technical (and using the editor itself is not an easy process) but having the option of using new models could result in some really nice looking racecourses.

Martin did send me some screen shots of the finish stretch populated by grass objects which looked really nice too. The poly count is important but there is no reason maps with a higher poly count can't be generated for use on higher spec machines.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:17 am
Selling plater

In fact I continued that grass project Mark and coated the entire racing circuit on the Moonee Valley track.
It allowed me to pull off an incredible screenshot.
My frame rate btw stayed at 60 FPS for the entire race.
See below:

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:37 am
Selling plater

Hi guys.
Just a quick note about the new conversion update coming for the racecourse editor.
From my own testing I have found that the editor does not work well with 3d models that have over 18,000 polygons, so keep this in mind when creating or setting up new objects.
I've also found that it is best to create a model and attach textures to the model even if they are in the form of a solid colour as the SO7 game seems to prefer that all textures be saved to a single or multiple image files.

But enough of that, take a look at my home stretch run for Oakbank.
It now has a ferris wheel on the infield, and some stables and horse transporters on the outside of the track.
They aren't perfect, but they are new.

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:03 am
Selling plater

I’m loving this, I’d love to go all out and perfectly replicate a track, unfortunately, I lack every bit of skill required for that.

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:38 pm
Selling plater

Here you go fella's my first attempt at creating a 3D winning post.
It sure beats looking at that ole red and white default winning post. LOL!

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 am
Selling plater

A 3D winning post v's 2D photo winning post
I know which one I like better.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:47 am
Selling plater

Hi again guys.
Boy am I loving the freedom Mark has given us with creating our own 3D objects.
In particular the ability to decorate our finishing areas.
This is my latest creation, a 3D winning post design for Doomben Racecourse.
It's far better than the red and white lollipop finish post.

Btw I am no expert at using the free Sketchup Make 2017 program to create these objects so give it a try yourself sometime.
The free version can be found on this page https://www.sketchup.com/download/all

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:42 am
Group 2 winner

What you seem to miss wingding is people bought the game to play it not to be Marks graphic artist till he goes releasing yet another version of the same unfinished game, if you don't want to release your work wingding, I suggest you don't clutter the forum with things 99% of us wouldn't even consider of doing. with all do respect wingding, no more teasing, I clap you for being an excellent student of Marks, release your work or stop it please mate.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:44 am
Site Admin

Quote:
What you seem to miss wingding is people bought the game to play it not to be Marks graphic artist till he goes releasing yet another version of the same unfinished game, if you don't want to release your work wingding, I suggest you don't clutter the forum with things 99% of us wouldn't even consider of doing. with all do respect wingding, no more teasing, I clap you for being an excellent student of Marks, release your work or stop it please mate.

Wingding is not 'finishing' the game he is improving and customising some of the courses he is interested in which is why the 3D option was added. Some people enjoy doing this and taking the individual racecourses (and schedules) from their specific country beyond what is economically viable for what is a niche PC horse racing sim.

If you look at the title this is a MODS forum. It's up to him if and when he releases any of his work and he certainly isn't obligated to. I know I am interested to see the results as I expect many others are irrespective of what he does with them.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:32 pm
Selling plater

Hello Tomas.
First off anything that I create using Marks new conversion process is available to anyone on the forum but at this stage only in individual 3D object form.
So if you know how to use the racetrack editor to update existing courses with new objects than simply ask and I'll share any of my custom 3D content that way.
Then its just a matter of inserting that content into an existing map, rebuilding the lighting and re-exporting the map for use in Starters Orders 7.

I'm sensing though from your comments Tomas that you may not be able to use the editor in that way and may have been looking for full course downloads and quite bluntly mate, mine are far from complete at this stage.
I work on them all the time and eventually they will be very heavy in content and most likely lock up Starters Orders 7 unless you have a very powerful gaming computer with a very big graphics card and most people unfortunately do not have this.

If this is case for you Tomas there is still a way you can enjoy some of my creations.
What I could do is insert anything you are keen on into the any of the generic courses that came with Starters Orders 7 and update that course for you.
You would simply just have to ask.

You see Tomas the whole point of this page was to show people what can now be done through modding, which is one step up from schedule making which you all do a great job with.
It certainly wasn't meant to 'yank anybodies chain' and certainly not for me to boast.

Mark if you are reading this, currently I am placing 3d models I create in individual folders within the 'Stands' directory as its the only folder that allows me to keep my models graphics and data files separate.

Also on a totally different note does anyone know if S07 has the ability to produce lighting like the floodlights did in S06 for night racing?
If so, how do I make night racing happen at Moonee Valley in S07? ......................... Never mind just worked it out.

Last edited by Wingding on Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 am
Group 2 winner

A man has to know when they've been out of line, and I have been way out of line with my silly post above Wingding, for that I truly do Apologise sincerely to you Wingding, I was out of line.

ps. I am sorry Mark this will not happen again on this forum.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]