View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Race Graphics Improvement Mod [COMPLETE] 
Handicapper

Post Race Graphics Improvement Mod [COMPLETE]
These files replace the original SO5 race graphics with altered ones. The ewe-neck, heavy belly and lack of mane have all been fixed.

Chestnut (replaces light bay) + Bay (replaces dark bay) + Grey + Black: Download
PLEASE NOTE: The greys look kind of odd in this preview, they're better in-game :)

Individual Downloads

Chestnut (replaces light bay, includes jumps): Download
For preview see above (first row).

Light Bay (Updated - tail animation cleaned up): Download
For preview see above (second row).

Grey: Download
For preview see above (third row).

Note: if you play the jumps game, you probably don't want to use this mod because it will affect the horses as they gallop, but revert to normal as they jump.

Imo Thomas Pulford's graphics are far superior to this little mod, but I personally can't live without the stretch animation now that I've gotten used to having it.

To install: I recommend backing up your entire SO5 folder [C: > program files (86) > Starters Orders 5] so that you have a copy of everything just in case you need to revert back to it. For this mod, though, you just need to replace gfx > race > horses > horses_0 > 1 (for light bay) or 1, 2 & 3 (for chestnut + bay + grey). So the only file/s you need to back up are the ones at the address above, before you paste the new one/s into that folder.

I don't know if anyone will be interested in this mod, but I thought I might as well put it up here anyway.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, or problems with the files :)

Last edited by Sabella on Thu May 17, 2012 11:00 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:56 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Race Graphics Improvement Mod
Thats really good! Are you planning on doing it to every horse? And would you attempt doing it for the jumps too or not? Really good improvement on the orginal graphics that is, i like thomas's graphics but i too cant live without the stretch animation, adds realism to the game for me :)

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:04 pm
Handicapper

Thanks! I am planning on doing the same to the rest of the colours, but I'm going to try and make each one slightly different (black with a slightly crestier/stallionish neck, dark bay a little finer build, etc). First I'm going to do the flat animations, and then if I have any patience for photoshop left after that, I'll attempt the jumps animations :)

Ideally what I'd like to do is make three separate files for each colour - light build, average build, and heavy build. But that would require altering the actual game and knowledge of coding and whatnot that I don't have, unfortunately. Ah well, this'll do I guess, lol.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:24 am
Handicapper

I'm working with Photoshop in my job, would like to have more horse colors and the idea of light, average, heavy horses is nice.
Maybe with some input from Mark I would think about helping with this stuff to improve the race graphics, but would be nice to know how it works and that they can be implemented later.
I think the number of horse colours is an often asked request, can't imagine this can be so hard to do!?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:04 am
Group 1 winner

Would love to have lighter greys than in the game.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:13 pm
Group 1 winner

Sabella,
See when you get to the dark set, could you look at adding in a little white blaze down the nose?? (don't know how it will work out being side on view but...)
It was something I was going to look into doing, to add a bit of variation, but you seen as it is something you are working on anyway, and appear far more adapt at than me, I figured you might kind enough to save me a job.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:05 pm
Handicapper

DB,
What I'm doing with the dark set is actually turning them into chestnuts (which will replace the light bays, whose new race animations will then replace the dark bays). Here's a preview:

So, I've got a little white on the nose and on three legs, but I'm tired of there being no chestnuts in game, so this is my solution, lol! I've noticed that the light bay portrait pics in game are actually chestnuts, so that's why I'm going to switch them (so light bay will be chestnut and dark bay will be the bay from the first post).

exxplozion wrote:
Would love to have lighter greys than in the game.

I can do that :) The black on the legs of the greys goes up way too high, imo, it should end at a little above the knee (well, fade into the grey from there). So, I was planning on doing that, but I can try and make the bodies lighter, too, if that's what you're after?

Moliets Surfer- Well any improvement would be most welcome, lol! Adding extra colours is actually quite difficult, only because in the game there are four colours, so you only have four possible colour combos. It would definitely be possible to make a whole bunch of other colours, but you could only have four of them in game at one time. If Mark was willing to work on adding more variety to colours in-game (chestnut - :twisted: lol, my pet peeve - brown, light grey, dark grey, liver chestnut, blood bay, etc.) It would be pretty easy for us modders to alter the animations. However, I don't know that this sort of thing is a high priority for him, which is understandable - gameplay comes first, as it should, imo :)

Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 am
Group 1 winner

Yes sabella I am after light greys that would be fantastic if you could do that, cheers. :D

Tue May 01, 2012 9:39 am
Group 1 winner

Liking the new chestnut style Sabella, keep up the great work!

Tue May 01, 2012 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Post Reply
There is a quota on the horse portraits, the 401-411 section, that I have never seen in play; Presumably it was for a much lighter grey that was never then introduced, I don't know. If there is a dormant slot, I imagine it wouldn't take much to activate it and switch it over to chestnut, so that it wouldn't need to be a case of one in, one out, because I'm quite fond of the dark bay and had visions of tweaking that file to (sort of) resemble this fella....
plus, the more variations, the better right?!
I'll speak to Mark and see what he says.

Tue May 01, 2012 2:25 pm
Handicapper

Huh! That would be awesome if it's possible, DB :) If it's not, I can always do the dark bay anyway, then people can choose what they'd like in their game.

Tue May 01, 2012 2:31 pm
Handicapper

Loving that chesnut, Great Work!!!!! :D

Tue May 01, 2012 2:44 pm
Handicapper

Thanks Ryan! I'm trying to get the chestnut finished and uploaded tonight, so I can get onto the rest :)

Tue May 01, 2012 2:48 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Race Graphics Improvement Mod [Updated with Chestnut]
These are great Sabella

Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Reply
Sabella,
In order to be added to the game, the Chestnut version would need to be the full set, so if you can be bothered to complete the other lines on that one, Mark will look into adding that as an additional set if you want.

Tue May 01, 2012 5:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next