View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Australia - Extra courses and updated showcase!!! (UPDATED) 
Selling plater

Post Re: Australia - Extra courses and updated schedule/showcase!
Sir-Slick wrote:
Brilliant work St Reims! I was probably going to jack-in the Australian game, but not now, you've taken it to another level. Can't wait to win a cup in the bush, but most of all, add all the New Zealand group races so I can find glory on my home tracks.

Just one thing, I tried auto-running 5 seasons for interest's sake and it crashed every time. Doing it for one season worked. Is this a future problem with the schedule? Because when I auto-ran the original Aus Schedule and the English Flat for 5 seasons there were no problems.

Thanks for letting me know about this. When testing, I played quickly through 5 seasons on v1.003 with no problems, but didn't auto-run. I just tried auto-running 5 seasons, which crashed, and 1 season also crashed, but 6 months worked fine. These were all on Trainer mode. On Trainer/Owner mode, auto-running 1 season worked fine, so this might also have something to do with it. I'm about to give a 5 season auto-run a go on this mode. (EDIT: This also crashed.)

Auto-running 5 seasons worked on v1.002 no worries. I'll see if I can locate the problem. Hopefully it's only a problem with the auto-run in the latest patch.

EDIT: There's definitely an issue with auto-running, but playing through manually is almost without issue. I played through 5 seasons, and the game crashed on September 15 of the 5th season. When I resumed the last save before the crash, the game played through the rest of the season fine.

So the bad news is that whatever the issue is, I can't replicate it, and it does look like it's something in these schedule or showcase files. The good news is that it doesn't appear to be anything critical. I probably won't be able to do any more work on this until Saturday or Sunday, so I'll add an extra note into the original post for now.

If anyone else has any issues, or thinks they might know what the problem is, don't hesitate to post!

Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
Handicapper

Jesus holy Christ you got Aubury in there

Thu May 03, 2012 2:58 pm
Group 1 winner

StReims wrote:
If anyone else has any issues, or thinks they might know what the problem is, don't hesitate to post!

I will also try to have a look over the weekend to see if I can see what's causing the problem.

Thu May 03, 2012 9:46 pm
Handicapper

Now that I've played it for a while I can offer comments.

Firstly
Fantastic- Love the new courses and the proper races, added to my gaming experience no end. You have done well sir :)

But there is a lack of 2 mile races which makes it incredibly hard to get anything in the Melbourne Cup and only two NZ tracks on the schedule. I would loved to have raced the Mudgeway :p

Fri May 04, 2012 4:11 am
Selling plater

Cullen wrote:
Now that I've played it for a while I can offer comments.

Firstly
Fantastic- Love the new courses and the proper races, added to my gaming experience no end. You have done well sir :)

But there is a lack of 2 mile races which makes it incredibly hard to get anything in the Melbourne Cup and only two NZ tracks on the schedule. I would loved to have raced the Mudgeway :p

The lack of 2 mile races is unfortunately realistic. They seem to be getting rid of them in Australasia. I figure now that SO horses are more versatile you'll be able to race them over a mile and a half (Caulfield Cup, Lexus, Metrop), as a lead up to the CUP.

Don't you have to add the NZ races on the editor? That's what I'll be doing when it becomes available. :D

Fri May 04, 2012 11:15 am
Site Admin

Nice job. I have not had a look at this yet as things are busy but have you created new course waypoint files or copied standard ones? Either way it looks very nice.

Fri May 04, 2012 8:43 pm
Selling plater

THE RANDOM CRASH ISSUE HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED!

It seems that there is a problem with running multiple feature meetings on the same day. This was also a problem in SO5 v1.000 (the bug with races being run on the wrong courses in the Australian game), so luckily I still had a schedule with feature meetings all scheduled on individual days. As a workaround, I've uploaded this now, and this version appears to be 99.99% stable.

Thanks again to Sir-Slick for raising this, and for also identifying that it had to be an issue with this schedule.

panther wrote:
I will also try to have a look over the weekend to see if I can see what's causing the problem.

You're a gentleman, panther. Your knowledge and advice has already helped me no end with this mod! I really appreciate it.

Cullen wrote:

Sir-Slick wrote:
The lack of 2 mile races is unfortunately realistic. They seem to be getting rid of them in Australasia. I figure now that SO horses are more versatile you'll be able to race them over a mile and a half (Caulfield Cup, Lexus, Metrop), as a lead up to the CUP.

Don't you have to add the NZ races on the editor? That's what I'll be doing when it becomes available. :D

Thanks for the feedback, Cullen. Sir-Slick basically answers this as I would. In one of my test games, I had a decent handicapper who needed two miles, and ran 4th in a Melbourne Cup. But because there were no two mile races, I had to use more traditional lead-ups. She managed to run well in a Geelong Cup one year and a Caulfield Cup the next (about midfield in each), but before her Geelong Cup placing, she actually won the Bart Cummings by over a length. I can't remember ever having a two-miler who could actually win a decent mile-and-a-half race in previous SO games. So hopefully the versatility in SO5 helps somewhat.

Having said that, I've set the maximum race distances on each course based on real life. For example, in the _courses.dat file, the first course, Coffs Harbour, has the line "Limit:12", which means that the game will not schedule any races longer than 12 furlongs at that course (RL maximum would be 2300m). If you want the game to schedule more two mile handicaps, you can remove the "Limit" lines from the _courses.dat file, and you should see a few more in the game!

As Sir-Slick said, you'll be able to add more of the NZ races once the schedule editor is fixed. In the next update, hopefully this weekend, I'll be adding a few more international races back into the schedule. I'll probably add just a few more NZ races, too, but I'll make sure to at least add the Mudgway and the NZ Cup (to give you another 2 mile option if you can't quite make the MC), just for you!

Mark wrote:
Nice job. I have not had a look at this yet as things are busy but have you created new course waypoint files or copied standard ones? Either way it looks very nice.

Wonderful to have feedback from the man himself! The waypoint (and thanks for finally clarifying what "wp" stands for :lol:) files are all newly created. Loving the new game so far, by the way, and can't wait until I get stuck into my first "proper" game!

Sat May 05, 2012 7:30 am
Selling plater

I absolutely love your work, so well done on that....

The only problem I have is that the field sizes for the feature events are way too big...

I'm not sure if it is possible to fix it but just something that I noticed.

Sat May 05, 2012 8:31 am
Selling plater

Glad to hear it wasn't a major problem and it's been fixed. Bring on the latest patch so that we can all get stuck in. I've barely touched the game in preparation. Have just been going over that schedule, looking forward to some of the great meetings. (Derby Day, Slipper Day, Cup Day). My only diaspppointment is that the Moe Cup and Banjo Patterson are either to lowly to qualify or aren't around anymore. Because they are surely two of the better named races around. :lol: I always tried to win the Fruit N Veg (now the Kingston Town something), so will be be on the lookout for another gem.

Sun May 06, 2012 11:44 am
Selling plater

MightAndPower wrote:

The only problem I have is that the field sizes for the feature events are way too big...

Thanks for the feedback. This is actually what I'm working on next. There's a tag that I've overused in the showcase file, and I'm going through the races to (hopefully) have much more realistic field sizes in the feature races. I hope to have this up within the next couple of days.

Sun May 06, 2012 2:37 pm
Selling plater

Great work St. Reims
Are you still going to post your guide? Want to create a couple of tracks myself, Thanks

Mon May 07, 2012 1:16 am
Selling plater

StReims wrote:
MightAndPower wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. This is actually what I'm working on next. There's a tag that I've overused in the showcase file, and I'm going through the races to (hopefully) have much more realistic field sizes in the feature races. I hope to have this up within the next couple of days.

Ahhhh!!! Terrific stuff mate!!

Maybe even include the International races which were included in the original pack....

Mon May 07, 2012 7:10 am
Selling plater

With this update u need to start a new game to make it take effect correct??

Mon May 07, 2012 8:43 am
Group 1 winner

Goffy wrote:
With this update u need to start a new game to make it take effect correct??

Yes, with any data update you would need to start a new game. StReims is still tweaking a few things with his schedule though, so I wouldn't start a game with it until he has released the final version.

Mon May 07, 2012 8:47 am
Selling plater

Cheers Panther, Will stick with what im playing till then...

Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next