View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 horse database 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: horse database
taurus wrote:
Thanx fellas, I'm opening up the horse data file with notepad is that just as good,that has the correct amount of horses at the top,not sure about the bottom line.

I used notepad, and it worked fine for me, the last name should be line 16077. Needless to say, keep a back-up copy of the file - a lesson I learned to my cost!!

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:03 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Reply
This is what I'm working on at the moment.
If you download a program called dupli find, it'll locate duplicate names for you without having to go through them manually. The free trial locates them all, but only shows you the first five actual names duplicated. If you pop all the names in excel, it does however tell you all the lines that have duplicates on so you can locate all of them that way, or just remove the first five, and then run it again to get the next five, and so on.
I was painstakingly careful doing the first 2000 names and then ran it just be sure, expecting maybe one or two that had slipped through the net, only to find over two-hundred of them!!
I've been at it every now and then over the last month and am not even at 10,000 yet :lol:
It is a mind numbing, time consuming bitch of a task!!

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:50 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Reply
Dancing Brave wrote:
I've been at it every now and then over the last month and am not even at 10,000 yet :lol:
It is a mind numbing, time consuming bitch of a task!!

You missed out that its an errant wife and a unforgiving mistress. Other than that, you go it spot on DB!

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:58 pm
Group 1 winner

Cheers DB that is good to know :D

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:41 am
Handicapper

thanx db much appreciated ill give that a go itll save me going through everyone myself. yeah i know what you mean ive been doing a bit every night when i can,not even half way yet. :shock: got hundreds of names i want to put in,some are gender specific to make it more lifelike,but not as many as in the current game. :o

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:38 am
Handicapper

Over halfway through the data base now,omg I didn't appreciate the time,eye strain,and patience needed to do this. Useing dupli file,thanx to db I've got 300 duplicates which astounded me,so will have to sort them out afterwards.probably got at least two if not three weeks work to do. :shock:

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:32 pm
Group 1 winner

Thanks for the update Taurus - its demanding work, but when you have finished you will find the game improved as a result. Plus you can truly call yourself a member of the 16076 club!

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:35 pm
Group 1 winner

Yeah well done mate. My eyes were seeing horse names in shops, driving the car and in bed with my fiancee :wink: :D

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:27 pm
Group 1 winner

I actually started saving horse names that I thought of as a text message on my mobile phone when I was out and about in the midst of compiling my list! :lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:26 pm
Handicapper

that sounds so familiar :D ,ive got a notebook i use incase any names pop in my head,while im at work,walking the dog etc,sad i know :) found racehorse generator sites good too for ideas,yhink mark may have used them as i ve seen quite a few names from the game. trying to stay clear off past and present horses,which makes it a bit more difficult,but getting there slowley :shock:

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:51 pm
Handicapper

after over 8 weeks of eye strain,falling asleep on my laptop, and haveing my head constantly full of horses names,ive finally finished the horses database :roll: its definitely a one off. left some of marks names in,but tried to include mainly new names,and not names that have been used or in use. DONT QUOTE ME ON THAT THOUGH :lol: sure a few may have slipped through the net. No point in getting rid of all the gender specific names seeing as there isnt a seperate file for both,but i have reduced them and got erid of the silly names. :roll:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:41 pm
Group 1 winner

Well done mate!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:40 pm
Group 1 winner

taurus wrote:
after over 8 weeks of eye strain,falling asleep on my laptop, and haveing my head constantly full of horses names,ive finally finished the horses database :roll: its definitely a one off. left some of marks names in,but tried to include mainly new names,and not names that have been used or in use. DONT QUOTE ME ON THAT THOUGH :lol: sure a few may have slipped through the net. No point in getting rid of all the gender specific names seeing as there isnt a seperate file for both,but i have reduced them and got erid of the silly names. :roll:

What a relief! I know the feeling well mate - well done - and total respect!

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:37 am
Handicapper

thanx ubar and gs63,yeah its a relief,that list seemed to go on forever,great to be a member of the 16076 club :D

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:12 am
Group 1 winner

Welcome to the club mate and well done all worth it in the end. :)

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next