View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 XFM 
Handicapper

Post XFM
Morning all, I decided to make this thread because I heard something on the radio at work which made me feel disappointed.
The radio station in question is XFM. The radio host was playing a game with callers where he gave a name of a horse and the caller had to say "Dead" or "Alive".
Although I didn't listen to much of it, I felt it was completely disrespectful to racing and was a backwards step in giving our sport a good name to the general public.
What does everyone think? Is it worth complaining about?

Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:26 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: XFM
This is on every week/day (can't remember which). It's a purely guessing game and I think the caller gets a song played or something? Nothing to do with the actual horses. One week he did his own pets.

Which horses did he name etc etc?

I really don't think it's worth complaining about. But I haven't heard it. It is something that's done regularly though and racing certainly hasn't been singled out.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:48 pm
Handicapper

I was in and out of the room where the radio was so I didn't hear much. I didn't realise it was a common feature either. I heard According To Pete mentioned, even though it was a game it's still a little distasteful to people who were involved in the horse. Owner, trainer, stable lad etc.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:33 pm
Group 1 winner

It is disrespectful, I agree. But some people have a very strange sense of humour. But it is a regular feature and racing wasn't singled out. Also it's still one of the best stations out there, how I miss digital radio in my car! :cry:

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:29 am
Handicapper

I was probably making a big deal over nothing.
I know! They have good taste in songs :)

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:22 am
Group 1 winner

Hysteria21 wrote:
I was probably making a big deal over nothing.
I know! They have good taste in songs :)

Possibly. :wink:

They do indeed. No silly dance music or rap stuff, it's brilliant!

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]