View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 PC specifications. 
Site Admin

Post PC specifications.
I regularly get asked about specs required for SO6 and hardware recommendations. The things to remember are:

You will always get much better performance for your money from a desktop PC rather than a laptop. Do you really need a laptop? If you only intent to use your computer at home maybe a desktop would be better.

Dedicated video cards are best for games. The price range of dedicated video cards is vast. Use the scores on this page as a performance guide: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

RAM is not so important as I doubt any new PC's or laptops will have less than 4GB. 4GB should be the minimum for a Windows system these days.

Intel i3 - i7 CPU's are great and offer plenty of performance. Avoid the budget CPU's (such as Celerons).

If you have to go with a laptop the integrated Intel video solutions are very common now and are cheaper than laptops with a dedicated video card. Laptops with dedicated video tend to run hotter and have a shorter battery life. In the past integrated video hardware has been no use at all for games but things are improving. The Intel Iris pro 6200 for example has a benchmark score of around 1500 which is pretty good for integrated video. I have not tried it but would guess it will run the game fine but you may need to turn the weather off and have shadows on low.

Another point to keep in mind is that mobile and desktop video cards are not comparable based on the series. For example a series 9 GeForce card is not comparable to a series 9 GeForce desktop card (which tend to be much more powerful). A GTX 980m ('m' stands for mobile) is just about the best mobile dedicated video you can get. It has a G3D mark of 5801. The desktop GTX 980 has a G3D mark of 9759 and is far superior. Anything with a mark less than roughly 1500 or so should not really be considered for SO6 (as you may have to turn a lot of visual features down).

The general rule is find a range of systems you like in your budget and then check out the reviews and look up the video G3D score on the link above.

As for the future there are no plans to create a new rendering engine in the short term (for Starters Orders) so if you PC runs SO6 it should run SO7 fine (SO7 is not due for at least a year and maybe two).

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]