View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Any courses still to come? 
Group 1 winner

Post Any courses still to come?
Before I and others consider having a go at making certain courses, just wondering if there are currently any plans to release any more courses with future patches...

Chantilly? Additional UK jumps courses that are currently duplicates of others? Unnamed US courses?

It's not a problem if there isn't, but it would be useful to know if there's any likelihood of the experts making any of these courses! :)

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:23 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Any courses still to come?
I plan on doing some more racecourses at some point (after the bugs) but right now nothing is concrete as there are other priorities. The Irish schedule needs activating. Some Irish racecourses will be done and some repetition will be used. As for the French hopefully but not for a while. I can't say right now what will be done. Ideally I would do them all but doubt time will allow.

Creating racecourses is a case of practice. It's as much about learning the 'tricks' of getting things to look good as much as learning the editor. For example. There is a small bush that scaled down looks like a pine tree and was used a lot in the distance. Also, I kept the area around the racecourse quite small for the lower spec machines. One thing you can do is shrink the trees in the distance. It gives the impression the world is bigger than it really is. Placing some simple pictures (2d images) of hills on the horizon can finish things of nicely as can pulling up the terrain on the edged f the world.

When laying roads and paths down I noticed initially they can look very poor. By using the spray tool with a repeatable turf/dirt mix image sprayed under the tarmac but slightly bigger so as to give the road/path an edge works well. There are plenty more examples. It just takes a bit of time to work it out.

A good tip for practicing is to pick a racecourse that is flat. That way you can use the more simple terrain tools to raise/lower ground around the races without worrying about having to accurately reflect any racecourse undulations. And you can quickly get on to creating the racecourse. The terrain creation is probably the most troublesome stage.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:21 pm
Group 1 winner

Thanks, Mark. Definitely some more good tips there. And yes, I think if I'm going to attempt a course from scratch my first attempt would likely be a very flat US course; perhaps even a dirt-only one, with not much in the way of scenery in the surrounding area!

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:29 pm
Group 1 winner

Mark wrote:
I plan on doing some more racecourses at some point (after the bugs) but right now nothing is concrete as there are other priorities. The Irish schedule needs activating. Some Irish racecourses will be done and some repetition will be used. As for the French hopefully but not for a while. I can't say right now what will be done. Ideally I would do them all but doubt time will allow.

Thanks for the update on this, Mark. And of course, fully aware that the bugs have a far higher priority than additional courses at this stage. Even if it's initially a copy of another course, it would be great to see Chantilly added to the default files in time for the full release. The same goes for the missing Irish tracks, obviously.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]