View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 More Horse Skins 
Handicapper

Post More Horse Skins
One of my pet peeves in SO6 was the lack of horse skins and the inability to add more. It'd be nice if SO7 had a much wider variety and that chestnut was actually added ... and not just as a skin. It should appear as the horse color in game, too, just like black, bay 2, light grey, etc. We're on SO7 now and chestnuts are still absent from the game. Secretariat was a chestnut, not a bay. Justify is also a chestnut. So is California Chrome. Eclipse was chestnut. American Eclipse was chestnut. Raise a Native was chestnut. Pan Zareta was chestnut. Man o' War was chestnut. Affirmed was chestnut. Alydar was chestnut.

With the portrait mods, it was possible for the horses to have a random portrait. Horse skins could work similar in that horses randomly select from skins within a color type. Something like:
Horse_black_01_D_000 could be the currently default black.
Horse_black_01_D_001 could be black but with a white sock on one (two) legs.
Horse_black_01_D_002 could be black but with white fetlocks on the back legs and stockings on the front legs.

Could be nice if the skins weren't mirrored so you could have a horse with one sock rather than two, but maybe for SO8. Right now, it'd just be nice to see more skins in general so every black horse doesn't look identical. Jockey silks only go so far to differentiate a horse from another. Would be nice, too, if the tack and saddle blankets were separate from the horse so we could select if we want one horse to have a white bridle while another horse of the same color gets a red one, but again, maybe SO8. The bridle and eye color being attached to each other is a bit jarring unless that changed. I haven't played with the skin files in years but they look the same as they did in SO6. Being able to select the pacifier colors or have those take from the silk file would also make more sense. Then having separate saddle clothes could open up the option of having saddle clothes be specific to certain races. The Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont, Breeders Cup, Pegasus World Cup, Dubai World Cup, etc all have saddle cloths with the race name on it which makes them stand out compared to lower class races which use more generic ones. That would also allow for American modders to have blanket colors specific to the numbers. Having every horse with the same saddle cloth color just adds to the "sameness" issue of the horse skins. But again, SO8, not now, since I realize that might be a lot to do and I do realize that's a regional thing since that was brought up before.

With additional skins, it would be nice to see more mane/tail colors as well since a black mane for a chestnut would effectively make them a funny looking bay. Maybe have a file where we can connect the horse skins to specific Hair_D files so a black horse wouldn't generate with a chestnut mane but we could have grey skins randomly pick between black and white hair files. I'd still like to see white horses in the game so I'd want to see a white hair file for grey horses.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]