View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Stallions 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Stallions
I think we are all pretty much agreed on most points, there should be a greater spread in terms of the number of offspring top stallions are having compared with the poorer stallions. And also that some of the stallions that we are seeing in the game shouldnt be retired to stud because they have such poor form on the track, and would never be retired to stud in real life.

I also think the idea to be able to choose how many stallions we have in the game would be a great addition, or at least perhaps choose a rough amount, if 300 is 100% for example, maybe we can change it to 25% and have 75 stallions in our game.

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:33 pm
Group 1 winner

Could the breeding days be reduced even further from 7 days, even to 1 day. In real life it would only take a day for a stallion to cover a mare, in fact they would cover more than one mare per day. This would enable stallions to have more foals per year, reaching more realistic numbers and mean that there could be less stallions overall on the game and still have enough to be able to produce the number of yearlings needed per year. I still think at the moment there are too many stallions and most have not great form and wouldn't be retired to stud in real life. The low number of foals stallions have in the game means that no stallions can dominate like they do in real life, like Galileo siring half of the derby field for example.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:44 pm
Group 2 winner

I am from the old school qwsa, in my past we old boys use to courting a girl, open the car door, pull the chair out for them at a five star restaurant, spoon for an hour or two, before bed time and the eruption of the volcano between two people occur.
having said that, I say it's all in the balance, maybe the seven days are needed to keep the balance in the game of horses coming in or going out of the game.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:00 pm
Handicapper

A lot af areas of the game are getting there which is good to see, but the stallion breeding still needs addressing in my view.It would be good to see some more dominant stallions in the game were it still seams a bit too random at the moment.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:26 am
Group 1 winner

I see your point Tomas, but if there are enough mares to cover the number of yearlings a year, like there is at the moneny, the number of days breeding takes shoildnt change that. If mares can only have one foal per year, it doesnt really matter how long it takes them to breed if the outcome is the same that they then become with foal and unable to breed again. But it would allow stallions to cover more mares and therefore have more offspring and eliminate the need for so many stallions, many that are not really worthy of being stallions based on their racing form.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:04 am
Group 3 winner

U people bang on about being realistic and yet in real life there are thousands of stallions and all of different abilities so why shouldn't this game be like that. The amount of stallions or how many mares they breed to is not the problem but the best stallions get sent the worst mares.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:40 am
Handicapper

Haven't played for a month while I'm doing my custom schedule but I did notice a few stallions being the ones to sire more of the yearlings in my game. There were about four big ones per season who had good records and good offspring. And when a superstar stallion got retired, the first season they were cheap to breed from but then the AI started using them and the next season they'd go up in price and demand. I thought that was pretty realistic, but I don't know much about real life breeding.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:50 am
Group 1 winner

Ghosty, in Europe there certainly isnt thousands of stallions, in the US there is more. I'm not sure how you can deny that some stallions on the game have form that a horse would never be retired to stud with. The number of stallions and the days taken to mate a mare and stallion mean that a stallion can only have a maximum of 50 goals per year. However because of the number of stallions, almost no stallions have this amount. This means that no stallions are having enough yearlings to properly dominate, or even have more than 1 or 2 stakes race performers a year. Even if the best mares were being bred to the best stallions, they wouldn't be having the same numbers of offspring that we see from top stallions in real life.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:08 pm
Group 3 winner

Well u cant have horses in here with 100 plus a season otherwise u would have just a few stallions and u would be breeding to the same horses, they would all be inbreeds. There are more than 2000 stallions alone in the US and u do have some right odd stallions. A stallion I follow is one called boos who ran twice on the flat and was unplaced and is not doing to bad at stud with a few horses. Our breeding in the uk/ireland is very limited to a few big players but u go everywhere else in the world and u see all sorts of stallions and apart from the very best stallions in the euro the rest only has a few stakes horses a year.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 pm
Group 1 winner

If there are 3000 yearlings a year, there is plenty enough for the top 10 or 15 stallions to sire a hundred a year, with the rest of the stallions siring fewer. This would still mean you could had a good number of sites but still have it so as you can tell the better sires.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:12 pm
Group 3 winner

Go and have a look at this week's doncaster sales and there will be between 50 -100 stallions there. U cant just limit it to 10 or so stallions because u need stallions at all distances, so u going to get 1 good stallion at each distance. That wont work. I just did the math for u and there are 86 stallions just in this one sale .

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:21 pm
Group 2 winner

qwsa wrote:
I see your point Tomas, but if there are enough mares to cover the number of yearlings a year, like there is at the moneny, the number of days breeding takes shoildnt change that. If mares can only have one foal per year, it doesnt really matter how long it takes them to breed if the outcome is the same that they then become with foal and unable to breed again. But it would allow stallions to cover more mares and therefore have more offspring and eliminate the need for so many stallions, many that are not really worthy of being stallions based on their racing form.

I do like your Idea qwsa, but it won't be that easy to change the breeding in so7 may be so8 this can apply as some one on here was saying that there are a lot of ruff diamonds breeding with low graded stallions down below, may be have a rule coded in the game that studs will only accept stallions that won 6 G1, G2, OR G3, and may be one or two studs will take on the low grading stallions to balance out the game for those people that don't have enough money to buy a good breed for their mares, but your on the right track qwsa if it can balance the game would be great to implement your idea.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:24 pm
Group 1 winner

You clearly misunderstood my point ghosty, I never said to have 10 stallions, I said to have between 10-20 stallions that are the top stallions and have realistic numbers of offspring per season, somewhere around 100, lets say there are 15 like this and they average 100 between them, that makes 1500 offspring taken up by these sires. Then the other 1500, if you have the pool at a size where there are around 3000 new yealings per season could be made up of sires that are averaging perhaps 20 offspring per year, that means this 1500 yearlings would come from 75 sires, so in total you would have 90 stallions.
So if you have a bigger pool size, I usually have around 4000 yearlings per season, this of course increases more so you could have even more stallions and a few more top stallions producing the higher number of offspring.

At the moment there are 280 stallions, if they all have an average of the same amount of offspring then this works out at 14 yearlings a year per stallion. They don't have an equal number, but they all do have some yearlings per year, this along with the 7 days breeding time means even the very best stallion can only have a maximum of 52 yearlings per year, a number I have not seen a stallion reach because there are so many stallions.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:45 pm
Group 3 winner

Im not sure u get it , if 50% of mares went to the best 10-15 stallions every year then after 20 or 30 years u would end up with the same horse and u wouldn't get a full spectrum of runners.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:20 pm
Group 1 winner

Thats just simply not true. In the game, with a large enough pool you can get a similar number of yearlings produced each year as there are in real life. In real life the top stallions produce in some cases upwards of 100 yearlings a year, yet there are still a lot of stallions of different qualities.

The full spectrum would easily be covered because the mares in breeding would be different, and the top sires are not all horses with the same ideal distances. Also, new sires will produce good offspring and begin producing more foals.

I'm simply suggesting that the number of stallions in the game could be reduced and the number of days mating takes so that it would allow stallions to have more offspring a year than they currently are, and prevent horses that shouldnt really be at stud from being so.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next