View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Horse names 
Selling plater

Post Horse names
Is there any way we can go to the old horse names? After a few seasons the names of horses are just two random words thrown together and it ruins the realism for me.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:16 am
Selling plater

Post Re: Horse names
Yes I agree with this, I have also noticed this problem.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:03 pm
Handicapper

And sometimes the words don't even make sense, which doesn't help with the pronunciation in the commentary. Like there was a horse called "Ishebella" which could have easily been "Isabella". Or a horse called "Balthazaars Zouz" when Balthazar is actually spelt with one A and it messes with the commentary pronunciation. Then there are some words the commentary can't pronounce that are really common.

Though I do get a laugh out of listening to a heavy Irish accent try to pronounce "Maribyrnong" (Marry burr nong) or "Rotorua" (row·tuh·roo·uh). Almost as fun as hearing tourists mispronounce a suburb in Perth that makes it sound like a swear word instead of what it's supposed to sound like.

I can't remember how it pronounces Makybe Diva but if you've heard an Australian say her name, you'll understand how our accent twists words like that and because of the accent, I doubt the commentary is ever going to be able to say them properly.

Back on the actual names though, the other thing I notice is that sometimes the words go together a bit randomly. Only sometimes though, I've got one stable that's all logical matches. Though I'm not quite sure about P*ssy and Girl being in the same horse name, if it weren't for the other word that could have been a bit interesting. But then there's other names like Owdbetts, which through Google I've now discovered is the name of a pub in Manchester but in an Australian schedule, no one would name a horse that. Jack Daniels maybe... And another one that looked super random and misspelled actually isn't now that I've Googled it - Robertewenutter is apparently a UK steeplechaser. Or Noimead Draiochta, who is also apparently a UK racehorse.

I think this post is all kind of about localisation, actually. I don't know if the generator ends up throwing out Australian racehorse names, I can't find a handy list of like the top 100 race horses but it would be cool if we could add words to the generator through a tool that doesn't mess up the files and maybe also exclude them?

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:12 am
Selling plater

I noticed the games out of beta. I haven't played it for a couple of weeks. I am assuming horse names have been fixed? Can someone let me know as i don't want to get 7/8 seasons in and then notice all AI horses have silly names, makes it unplayable for me.

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:58 pm
Site Admin

It's not been fixed because it was not broken. There are millions of unique names. It's working as intended. It's impossible to go through all of these creating them manually so the main body of names is generated by the computer. There are very odd names created but this is the price for having a large store of unique names. Past releases just recycled names which caused problems and as SO7 make a lot of historical breeding data available the names really need to be unique.

Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:28 pm
Selling plater

But the names are just two random words thrown together? Surely there's a better way, the names simply don't work. After several seasons there's simply no horses with a singular name or a name containing more than two words, they're not unique names they're just two random words thrown together.

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:11 pm
Handicapper

BenWortho wrote:
But the names are just two random words thrown together? Surely there's a better way, the names simply don't work. After several seasons there's simply no horses with a singular name or a name containing more than two words, they're not unique names they're just two random words thrown together.

I genuinely dont understand the problem. A horse is called what it's called. How that makes the game unplayable is beyond me

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:22 pm
Handicapper

Well for one reason, it makes the commentary sound ridiculous. BenWortho might find it hard to be emotionally invested in the career of a horse with a silly name (the option of stable names would be cool in this case) or find it hard to remember the names of competitor horses they need to look up to compare to their horses. Everybody has their reasons for what they find game-breaking or not.

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:21 am
Group 2 winner

I totally agree with bazdev, it's not broken why fix it, to be honest I love all the names in the game, great work building the name engine.

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:22 pm
Group 3 winner

Tomas wrote:
I totally agree with bazdev, it's not broken why fix it, to be honest I love all the names in the game, great work building the name engine.

ditto

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:40 am
Group 1 winner

BenWortho wrote:

twilightramblings wrote:
Well for one reason, it makes the commentary sound ridiculous. BenWortho might find it hard to be emotionally invested in the career of a horse with a silly name (the option of stable names would be cool in this case) or find it hard to remember the names of competitor horses they need to look up to compare to their horses. Everybody has their reasons for what they find game-breaking or not.

It's possible to rename any yearling in the game, including AI-trained horses. So, although it might be time-consuming, when it reaches the stage of the game that the silly names start appearing, you can skim through the yearlings list each season and change any that you particularly don't like. This allows you to create single-word names, names with three or more words, names related to sire and dam names, or just better-sounding names for horses that have great breeding.

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]