View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 I am having so much fun!!! 
Handicapper

Post I am having so much fun!!!
I am now into my third season. My kennels holds 5 out of the top 10 Top Hounds positions and I have just started breeding. There is alot that I still need to learn about the dog racing world, but I am doing okay so far. Anyone thinking about some Exhibition multiplayer competitions yet?!

JimCougar
ORLWorld.com

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Selling plater

Post Breeding
:D

Not sure if anyone has any multiplay plans yet but I've been breeding from some good dogs for a few seasons now and have won several competitions with homebreds.

What I tend to do is only retain dogs in the breeding kennel that have won comps. themselves (not just open races). As you have probably seen, these dogs have a gold cup icon beside there name. I've found the degree of success appears to be greater if you only use comp. winners for breeding but you could hit lucky with other prolific winners !

Like for like distance breeding is a good ploy, but if you deliberately want to breed a pup for a specific distance, say 625m, then breed a 675m to a 475 animal. (combined total = 1250m divided by 2 to get pups potential average = 625m).

Hope it helps with the breeding !

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:28 pm
Handicapper

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:51 pm
Handicapper

I have 4 pups who are a few months old and 4 more on the way. I am very interested in how these breedings will turn out.

How long are you racing your hounds? Most of mine seem to age considerably in their 4th year.

JimCougar
ORLWorld.com

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Selling plater

A racer will usually deteriorate at 4 years, just as in real life. I have had them win opens at that age and maybe the odd competition, but that would be the exception and not the norm. On the breeding front, here's some hopefully helpful hints from my own forays:-

If you want to breed a 450 or 475 dog then use the sire and dam in your breeding kennel that have displayed good early pace in their races. Again, as in real life, the pups have a good chance of inheriting that and you can win a lot of races if your pup consistently leads, as it's very hard to overcome traffic problems over the shorter trips !

Some 875 dogs can also have early pace and will invariably be at the front in these races (except if a few 450 or 475 dogs are in it, but they won't stay the trip). I wanted to breed a 625 dog with early pace, so I bred a top e/p 825 with a top e/p 325 - and got a 625 record breaker that beats all and seldom fails to lead. I've just bred again from the same parents !

Real pups usually start off by trialing at a distance a little below their optimum one. If I have a 525 pup, the first trial will be over 475. If it leads and fades I will drop it to 450. If it runs on really well from the back I will up it to 525. If it wins at 475 I will keep it there and check for time improvement on the next trial. Pups can often run indifferently first time up and then find up to a second or so on their next run. Good luck !

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]