View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Who Would Be Interested In Multiplayer Competition? 
Handicapper

Post Who Would Be Interested In Multiplayer Competition?
Lets get a feel for how many who would like to participate in some sort of multiplayer competition sometime in the near future. We could start off with some individual Trial Races, then a short Exhibition Season and eventually an Inaugural Season for a Greyhound Managers Pro League (a suggested title for the league).

This is the same procedure that brought about the Starters Orders Pro League for SO Pro & SO 2 which is currently in its 6th season. I have also been toying with the idea of talking to DodgyDave the Ex-SOPL President and creator & manager of Trainers Office Manager (the extraordinary online league management interface), to see if a GMPL could be one day incorporated into TOM as well. He is extraordinarily busy, but he would know better than anyone how easy or hard it would be to add it to TOM. The GHM Race Construction Kit would have to be upgraded to the sophistication that the Starters Orders league's Race Construction Kit is currently enjoying, but I think that if we had a viable league running we could probably convince Mark to assist us in that aspect.

My time is limited, but I would be happy to run things in the beginning. Hopefully others would be willing to contribute some of their time and energies to such positions as Race Secretary, Race Stewards, Season Schedule Coordinator, Race Card Coordinator, Writers, Handicappers, etc.

The SOPL now has a life of its own. It is fully staffed and runs virtually without my assistance at all anymore. If there are enough enthusiatic greyhound racing fans out there this could become a reality for this game as well.

So, if you would be interested in part or all of the above mentioned multiplayer competitive activities, please post your name below as well as any suggestions that you might have.

JimCougar
ORLWorld.com

Last edited by JimCougar on Thu May 10, 2007 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 10, 2007 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Handicapper

Post Re: Who Would Be Interested In Multiplayer Competition?
JimCougar wrote:
Lets get a feel for how many who would like to participate in some sort of multiplayer competition sometime in the near future. We could start off with some individual Trial Races, then a short Exhibition Season and eventually an Inaugural Season for a Greyhound Managers Pro League (a suggested title for the league).

This is the same procedure that brought about the Starters Orders Pro League for SO Pro & SO 2 which is currently in its 6th season. I have also been toying with the idea of talking to DodgyDave the Ex-SOPL President and creator & manager of Trainers Office Manager (the extraordinary online league management interface), to see if a GMPL could be one day incorporated into TOM as well. He is extraordinarily busy, but he would know better than anyone how easy or hard it would be to add it to TOM. The GHM Race Construction Kit would have to be upgraded to the sophistication that the Starters Orders league's Race Construction Kit is currently enjoying, but I think that if we had a viable league running we could probably convince Mark to assist us in that aspect.

My time is limited, but I would be happy to run things in the beginning. Hopefully others would be willing to contribute some of their time and energies to such positions as Race Secretary, Race Stewards, Season Schedule Coordinator, Race Card Coordinator, Writers, Handicappers, etc.

The SOPL now has a life of its own. It is fully staffed and runs virtually without my assistance at all anymore. If there are enough enthusiatic greyhound racing fans out there this could become a reality for this game as well.

So, if you would be interested in part or all of the above mentioned multiplayer competitive activities, please post your name below as well as any suggestions that you might have.

JimCougar
ORLWorld.com

ill be interested sounds fun :wink:

Thu May 10, 2007 10:15 pm
Handicapper

In order to get a league up and running effectively you would have to organize a TOM like system. You could retain some aspects of TOM but a lot of new logic would need to be applied. Rather than the current system of TOM where you enter horses in a race and the top 30 stay and balloting is done, you will need a system to incorporate heats that can randomly split out entries into heats of 5 or 6 runners depending on numbers. It will be a different beast altogether from TOM and would probably be best created as a new program altogether rather than an attachment to TOM. Also the way TOM has been created with add on here and there, its structure would be pretty messy if looking into the engine. Dodgy would probably be the first to admit this as well. It works very well to the casual observer but look within and you will find band aids galore. Best to start with a clean slate with the design and construction of it and keep it a separate beast. I would run it through the same web host as TOM though.

Fri May 11, 2007 12:51 am
Handicapper

Jim,
In order to get a league up and running effectively you would have to organize a TOM like system. You could retain some aspects of TOM but a lot of new logic would need to be applied. Rather than the current system of TOM where you enter horses in a race and the top 30 stay and balloting is done, you will need a system to incorporate heats that can randomly split out entries into heats of 5 or 6 runners depending on numbers. It will be a different beast altogether from TOM and would probably be best created as a new program altogether rather than an attachment to TOM. Also the way TOM has been created with add on here and there, its structure would be pretty messy if looking into the engine. Dodgy would probably be the first to admit this as well. It works very well to the casual observer but look within and you will find band aids galore. Best to start with a clean slate with the design and construction of it and keep it a separate beast. I would run it through the same web host as TOM though.

Yeah, good point Dave.

JimCougar
ORLWorld.com

Fri May 11, 2007 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]