View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Staying afloat 
Selling plater

Post Staying afloat
I've had this game for a week and am now seriously regretting it, i've never played a game that leaves so much to chance.

The betting is a joke, I have never seen so many heavy favourites beaten like I do in this game (I'd say the ratio is about 70-80% of evens or better don't win), I have yet to see the best dog win a feature race in three seasons. I've had to sell almost 20 dogs(most of them damn good ones) to stay afloat becuase god knows betting isn't the answer. What's the point of having prize monies so low that betting or quick selling cheapie dogs is the only way to survive? Why bother trying to nurture a dog if you know he's going to get sold off just to keep your accounts in order?

Anyway rant over....

1) How are people making money in this game...i've tried every sort of betting system i can think of and they all fail (tried going with time dogs, who are almost always closers and they just hit traffic every time, tried level stakes with favourites and that nearly bankrupted me, only betting dogs with wins over the distance, to see dogs on 6 month layoffs come from a mile away and win...)

2) If my dogs aren't cutting it at OR level should I just cut them loose since they are never going to make me enough money to keep me in business?

3) Is there any alternative to buying cheap dogs, racing them once and then selling them on hoping you've not given away a champ?

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:50 pm
Handicapper

First thing to do. ONLY buy $100 dogs. race them a few times and sell they pull in upto 10k if your lucky.

after first season and once you have sold your dogs expand your kennel size as much as you can leaving a few thousand to buy more dogs.

at start of 2nd season just buy all the 100 and 200 and 300 dollar dogs you can and repeat the process in you done in the first season. you then should have full training/breeding facilities and still 100k in bank to look for the cream of the crop dogs.
_________________i know were you are coming from i had same problem

this is only the best solution for now..... :wink:

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:59 am
Handicapper

Accumulators. Day one of my game I got 2 million off an accumulator I done.

What you do is go into your saved game. Go to the view days race screen. Scroll through around 7 or 8 races. Note the winners. Exit out to windows and terminate the game (ctrl+alt+del then end task on GM2). Open GM and do the same process, noting the winners again. Repeat this around 5 times. After around 5 or 6 times you will notice certain races where the winner is the same most times.

Now open GM and do an accumulator. This is done by clicking on the little bet slip. Do a win accumulator on the races where the winner is pretty consistent. If you are lucky you will get it the first time, if not usually in around 3-5 goes. Once you have that you will have a nice little nest egg. When you start breeding 20 a season your turn around rate from them will keep you consistently around the million mark.

Its as easy as that...

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:07 am
Selling plater

Something else I don't get...why is Kennel Rent in there...surely you own the kennels yourself???

As for the accumulator thing...bit like cheating that is isn't it? I appreciate the help guys, but I'm so damn frustrated that I like this game and i'm getting absolutely nowhere with it.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:16 pm
Handicapper

breed a few dogs and export them to the online league its fun and always looking for new players. :wink:

once you mastered the cash flow problem might beable to breed a champion ....lol :wink:

try your hand against other players homebreeds better than running against computer i think.... :wink:

are you up for it?.........lol :wink:

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:37 pm
Handicapper

I have built a strong kennels so I now only wager on my own Entries. I'll submit 6 to a Feature Race and wager on them in all 6 heats. I usually win big money on at least 4 and sometimes more.

I play the game with the idea of competing in the Greyhound Pro League and several others here do as well. That means our strategy might be a bit different from yours if you are not considering playing in multiplayer competition.

I play like Outbackstables does. I simply do not have the patience to scrape up a bit of cash from trying get low level dogs to win now and then. So I used OBS's system to raise money on wagering. Yes, it is cheating, so if you feel uncomfortable with that, then you of course, will not play that way. Our goal however, is to find the best dogs that we can, race them, then breed them to other good dogs. That takes alot of time and is a skill all on its own. We have a great time playing the single player game with this in mind because for us the REAL fun begins when we compete against one another from all over the world, in the multiplayer leagues. And the dogs even in just the 4 week Trial Races that we just completed, were pretty impressive.

The 6 week Exhbition Season from the voting that we are having right at this moment, will most likely indicate that it will start in 3 weeks. We are all racing and breeding madly in order to bring a good kennels to the Exhibition Season. It should be alot of fun.

So if you think you would be interested in multiplayer competition then all you need do is change your strategy in how you play the single player game. If not, the use harea51's strategy that should make your single player game a lot more fun. I am sure that there are others who are playing the single player game in its purest sense and hopefully they will post their strategies here for you as well.

JimCougar
http://www.ORLWorld.com

Greyhound Pro League Exhibition Season
http://p083.ezboard.com/fgallopracerseriesfrm316

Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Selling plater

I think everybody would have the same problem when first starting.
I got over the money problem by advancing a month of so into the game so the dogs have a bit of form, and its a bit easier to pick the winners.
If you win big in a day quit and save the game and than restart.
If you lose big, ctrl,alt,delete and shut the game down and reload it.

Its not hard to come across a dog that is almost unbeatable in the trials, but not good enough to race in the open races or feature races, so nominate for trials and wager big on them.

Im right into the breeding side of this game, and I have had huge success winning the derby the last 3 years in a row with my offspring. Im now in my 7th season and going great guns. Havent yet produced a real good 275m dog, but over all the other distances I have quite a few top dogs.
With my recent star dog winning 21-23 for the season including the derby and other 475m feature races, didnt have him ready for the Online Racing League trials so it will be interesting to see how she goes against other players dogs.
Just a tip dont give up on your 1yr olds give them another year and you maybe very suprised.

ORL is great and I cant wait for the exhibition season to begin.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:06 am
Selling plater

As said buy the cheap hounds,get them up to grade 1,and sell.Most grade 1s get about 10,000.Also trial your grade 1,s on the right going and distance to clean up on betting.Also if you can get into the handicap races in trap 1 over 275 with a dog you know is better 9 out of 10 will win.I had trouble at first,its a matter ogf selling those grade 1,s and buying cheaply.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]