View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Distances 
Group 1 winner

Post Distances
Downloaded the game last night to give it a shot. Some of the improvements from GM1 are very good, however, I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a wider range of distances available. Especially the fact that it jumps from 525 straight up to 625, but then you also have 650 and 675. It just doesn't seem a very good spread.

Would it be possible to add in an extra couple of distances in a patch at some point?

From having a quick look through the real-life Category 1 & 2 races, distances such as 400, 500 and 575 would certainly be welcome additions.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:32 am
Handicapper

im not sure how time and effort it would take for mark, but surely it would take much to edit the distances for each track to there proper distances and have competitions over there correct distances. because currently these are things putting me off buying the new game.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:25 pm
Group 1 winner

im not sure how time and effort it would take for mark, but surely it would take much to edit the distances for each track to there proper distances and have competitions over there correct distances. because currently these are things putting me off buying the new game.

Yes, I was hoping the new game would be a lot more flexible with regard to distances, especially after the inclusion of part-furlongs in SO4. But it seems we're stuck with the same distances from the original game. It's just quite annoying when it comes to races like the Champion Stakes or Essex Vase, which are 575m - but in the game, they can only be 525 or 625! Also, there are a few races that should be 500m, but you only have the option of 475 or 525! An extra sprint distance around 400m would be good too, and another distance for marathon dogs would be useful as well, so that it doesn't jump from 750 straight up to 875.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:39 pm
Handicapper

making courses distances correct would sort this problem so such had romford you could have 225(not totally sure on sprint distance there but could find out. 400, 575, 750, and then there the maxi marathin trip where they start in the back straight and go round twice, i dont know if all distances have to work on each track like now but might be possible to program distances to a track so they only use them distances at that track. as u mentioned essex vase and champions stakes should be 575. one that really gets me is the scottish derby over 275. would be nice to see the irish 1 added for the ''triple crown'' and bonus added for winning the 3.

BUT i would be more than happy for the distances to be more realistic for now lol

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:05 pm
Group 1 winner

Also, there are 28 tracks in the game, but currently only 25 active tracks in the UK - Milton Keynes, Portsmouth, Reading and Walthamstow should be removed, with Pelaw Grange added. That would leave three spaces, possibly to add some Irish tracks.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:19 pm
Handicapper

yeah i agree i was thinking that playing the demo moments ago.

would maybe make room for shelbourne ( irish derby ) Harolds X ( irish puppy derby and then any other irish track.

all little things but when your a genuine greyhound racing fan they all make a difference.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:21 pm
Group 1 winner

To be honest though, the main thing I hope for with regard to GM2 is that Mark can make it so that we can add more feature races to the schedule. At present, we can change the feature races, but we can't increase the number of feature races, and I had hoped to add all the Category 1 & 2 races for 2010 to the game.

So, if he can change it to allow us to increase the number of feature races AND add some extra distances, that would be excellent!

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:36 pm
Handicapper

AND feaure over correct distances then id a bit happier at the moment i cant justify spending. 12.99 on ''update'' so ill stick with GM1

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:54 pm
Group 1 winner

Well, if Mark can add more distances to the game that will make it possible to make the schedule a lot more realistic. Certainly, when I make my own, the races will all be as close to their real distances as possible. And they will all be on the correct dates and have the correct prize money for 2010.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:14 pm
Handicapper

when you have created it would you be willing to send me it to try out providing i decide to buy the game lol

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:37 pm
Group 1 winner

Yes, definitely. I will probably make it available on the forum. It should be a lot more straightforward to update the schedule for GM2 than it is for SO4, so I'd hope to make it available quite quickly after the first patch or two have sorted out the initial issues with the game.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:44 pm
Selling plater

I would greatly support the idea of making a more realistic Calendar and putting it on this forum.

I played the game a fair bit last night, but to be honest it's just the same game as before so Im done with it now already after only few hours, as i played GM1 to death.

To be honest I feel a little cheated as I assumed any second version of the game would be just that, a second version. The fact that stadiums that no longer exsist are still in the game really pee's me a bit. It's like ive been charged £20 for a graphics patch, or which the novelty wears off after about 10 races. You'll see what I mean for those that don't have it yet.

So yeah, anything that can be added gets my full support. Like someone said here it's the little things that matter when your a fan like us.

Thanks in advance, and if you need any help putting together a life like calendar please do give me a shout.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:52 am
Group 1 winner

Thanks in advance, and if you need any help putting together a life like calendar please do give me a shout.

I already have a spreadsheet made up with all the Category 1 & 2 races for 2010, complete with correct dates and prize money (for heats and semis as well as finals), so as soon as I find out if it's possible to increase the number of feature events (and hopefully have more distances to choose from), I'll get working on it.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:39 pm
Handicapper

the more people who get behind the idea of making the schedule more realistic and reace distances and other little things the better it gives mark the incentive to put the effort in and make these changes im sure it wouldnt take to much coding. sure it would be similar to starters orders as to distances only being used for certain tracks. would be nice if mark could shed more light on this. as i no of there is no simple way to edit the distances if possible at all.
as said above to me it seems like a graphics update on the previous game and for me ill just play the old game.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:16 pm
Site Admin

Some of the above points have been addressed and a patch is available. It is currently considered a BETA patch until more testing can be done but appears to work fine: http://www.strategicdesigns.co.uk/downloads/gm2patch101.zip

There are two new race distance (575m and 800m).

You should now be able to add more fetaures (up to 1024 including heats). Please let me know if there are problems with this.

Readme below:

Patch 1.01

* Space key (input boxes) now works.
* 575m and 800m distances added. May cause some non-crash replay issues with games started under 1.0. -
- eg. replays of races run before patching over hurdles over 575m in length. Dogs may not jump correctly.
- The above also fixes a bug where races specified as 575m reverted to 275m.
* Users may now specify up to 1024 feature races (including heats) rather than the current 324 limit.
* Some feature races distance fixes.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next