View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 New TV deal could be very bad for the sport 
Group 1 winner

Post New TV deal could be very bad for the sport
ITV’s main channel will screen at least 34 fixtures a year under its new deal, which runs from 2017-2020
60 will be on ITV4, which will also broadcast a magazine preview programme each Saturday morning

Dont think this is a good deal for Racing at least Channel 4 had its racing all in the one place

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Post Re: New TV deal could be very bad for the sport
pjrhodes1970 wrote:
ITV’s main channel will screen at least 34 fixtures a year under its new deal, which runs from 2017-2020
60 will be on ITV4, which will also broadcast a magazine preview programme each Saturday morning

Dont think this is a good deal for Racing at least Channel 4 had its racing all in the one place

I think it's great news.

Racing was going to lose out to Formula Bore on Channel 4. Since they had all the racing it's gone down hill, they stopped trying and just dumbed it down. What they did to Royal Ascot was shocking, they turned it into a fashion parade, racing was something in between that crap. Racing should never have left the BBC.

I hope all these so called experts on C4 don't get resigned to ITV.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:33 am
Group 2 winner

Totally agree with the fashion thing on channel 4, they waste so much of the program on showing crap or talking crap. For me this can only be positive, its a chance for fresh people to take over and make it what it should be.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:43 am
Group 1 winner

My understanding is that the main reason Ch4 lost out is because it was too betting oriented while ITV was more focused on the sport as entertainment. Can you believe that!
I would agree with Ghostzapper about racing playing second fiddle to the boredom that is f1 if it stayed on Ch4 as it inevitably will this year and would have only got worse in future years. The worry for me is which production team will oversee ITV's coverage. The only choices I can think of would be to outsource to IMG who have overseen racing's demise on BBC and then made a complete mess of the coverage on Ch4. Outsource to Highflyer the old Ch4 team which imo may well be the best choice (better the devil you know), or use their own crew which I would guess is ITV's preferred option.

We could end up with a racing program presented by John Inverdale, loose women in the paddock, Ant and Dec in the betting ring and Vicky Pattinson interviewing the jockeys. Then again it could be worse, Jeremy Kyle might get the gig.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:14 pm
Handicapper

Kevcon wrote:
My understanding is that the main reason Ch4 lost out is because it was too betting oriented while ITV was more focused on the sport as entertainment.

Which is how it should be. The old CH4 racing programme used to focus more on the horses - they would show every single horse in the paddock before a race as opposed to now where they only show the horses at the top of the betting. If ITV are going to show more of the horses and less of the betting and fashion then I am all for it.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

It could be good, I mean if it's on ITV4 it could mean they'll actually show a whole day's worth of racing like they do with the touring cars. It would be great to actually see all the races on a card.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:35 pm
Group 2 winner

One thing I will say is if ITV decide to produce in-house I think it will be done well. They already have great success with the likes of Touring Cars, live international football and the Tour de France.

As Peter said there is even the opportunity to broadcast even more live racing on a Saturday afternoon than the 2 hours channel 4 provide.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:29 am
Group 1 winner

I think C4 just didn't/don't get it, they still think having Gok Wan was fantastic. Fantastic for who, the head of C4 sport said the stakeholders loved him. Whoever's the stakeholders are they haven't a clue what racing fans want, if we want a fashion parade then will go to one. It's little surprising that the figures dropped of a cliff with these people in charge of the Tv coverage.

In the racing post Bruce Millington said it's should be about the people but Steve Dennis said it should be about the horses and I agree it should be all about the horses, it's called horse racing for a reason. When good horses come along they put bum's on seats.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:19 pm
Handicapper

I see Matt Chapman has got a gig on ITV. Good news IMO, he will bring a bit of fun and banter to the show. Fun has been very much lacking in the current setup.

Last edited by savio1978 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:14 pm
Group 1 winner

agree they had to sign up chappers should have got a lead role IMO

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Handicapper

Yeah I like Chappers, and now that he's got his foot in the door on mainstream TV, it won't be long before he gets the main presenting job. Although seeing him in the betting ring during the Cheltenham Festival will be great fun. :D

Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:23 pm
Group 1 winner

I find him annoying and talks some rubbish especially about Trainers Championship it should come down to winners not prize money I rather see Robert Cooper get the nod above Matt Chapman.

Gray

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]