View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 NH distance issues 
Group 3 winner

Post Re: NH distance issues
lol play fifa 18 Doug

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:01 pm
Group 1 winner

doug im playing borderlands 2 with my son your welcome to join

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:04 pm
Group 3 winner

play ya at fifa stephen lol

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:59 pm
Group 1 winner

got fed up with fifa in 2010

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 pm
Group 3 winner

Never thought this debate would be so heated, but that is actually good. Lots of people caring about the league.

Maybe no major changes needs to be done. A hint and tips sticky could go a long way.

Take myself as an example. I didn’t have the courage to enter the league until last season. Even though I got the game in 2015. I got lots of tips from Paul and others in a helpful community about how to succeed in the game. I also read a lot in the general forums. Every time a read about the league I got the impression that the league was not for everyone, and a newbies horses would be crushed.

So I was curious about the league, but reluctant to join. I didn’t want to bother the members of the league with my lousy horses. But last season I jumped in and its been a great experience. Friendly, helpful people and races that even my nags could compete in. It wasn’t scary at all, just addictive and fun.

I knew that my horses couldn’t compete in group races. But so what. I could enter them, and even though they finished 30 lengths behind it still gave a thrill to see them in. And when I won my first race, what a thrill, I couldnt believe it.

I really like the league and the community. It also sounds like it has evolved through the years, something that is good. I think maybe that is because of discussions like this, testing, evaluating and keeping whats working. I really admire you who runs the whole thing. You are few (race runners, comms, handicappers and streaming) and you do it voluntarily in an excellent an trustworthy manner. Well done to you, you are so important to us.

For me I am realistic. I dont expect to win big races, and I know and appreciate that those who put most effort in often do best. That how it should be. I always find things that makes it worthwhile for me to participate, and with the DCC and rookie of the year gives you something to aim for. ( Though I would like a money table so we could cherish placings more and maybe a win or placing percentage list. All to keep up interest)

So, the point :D (Late at night, weekend at the cabin in the Norwegian montains, lots of snow and red wine and ramblings :lol: )

I love the National Hunt. But the rules are confusing. If (and that is for both codes) there was a guide of recommended horses age and distances to upload it would solve a lot. Last year I just uploaded a bunch of horses and didn’ t even realize that I should have a spread of distances. Sounds naive and banal but that is where I come from.

So to cater for beginners and unsure people in both codes what about making a list. In NH you need x amount of 2m novice hurdlers 5 yo, x amount of 3 m chasers 5yo+ etc. I checked some of the stable updates on what a stable consist of and I see that I have a lot to learn, and maybe others too. I had no clue how to put together a stable.

So, more stickies with info for the newbies will help a lot and then maybe we wouldn’t need radical changes.

Sorry for long and rambling post. My english are limited :D

Bottom line: I love the league, I want it to long continue, I want it to be possible for me to learn, evolve and get better without free rides. Have a good weekend everyone, I am going to sit by the fireplace reading the Racing Post annual I got in the mail today and have a good time. :)

Daniel (Carl Arrogante)

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:14 am
Group 1 winner

jalupen wrote:
doug im playing borderlands 2 with my son your welcome to join

Thanks Steve.

I don't have Borderlands 2 but I believe it to be a good game.

I really only have time for the two games I play SO6 and BF1 - Been playing the Battlefield Franchise for years now.
It's a good contrast - playing one huge title and playing one small title.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:11 am
Group 1 winner

Daniel - That is a good post and a great idea for some locked 'how to' posts pinned to the top of the forums.
Jango has done a great job with a post he made that is pinned to the top now.

To outsiders the (League) Hunt is confusing - at times it doesn't make sense and other times it's just frustrating.
There is no explanation anywhere to how it works.
It probably highlights a wider shortfall of SO6 - no prominent link explaining the machinations. It's a niche game that is played by the persistent.
The single player Hunt game plays much different to the League.
The game does everything for you - maybe if you're English or Irish you already know how Hunt racing works.
We still have jumps racing in Australia (just) never had novices or juveniles - you have low rated jumps races and horses come through the ranks. Just like flat racing.
If you come from a Country with no jumps racing...it makes even less sense.

Because this is an online niche game and not being a Brit or Irish etc the League (not the game) is very UK exclusive. Gray has done a great job to opening up the Flat to be more (world wide) inclusive (I think from my suggestions) I also think there is more room for improvement - nothing major...more tweaking.

And that is where i, personally am coming from in regards to the Hunt in the League.
Now compared to the Flat there really isn't much Internationally to add more jumps races. I know Japan have an invitation steeplechase which i believe Gray would like to include at some point. Maybe an Australian chase race or two but by and large the Hunt in the league will ALWAYS BE UK CENTRED!

BUT - It is not Internationally inclusive from a non UK player point of view!
And this needs to change if you want the League to grow!

Now i will address the silliness of claims of double standards by me.
Rubbish!
Standing up for Australian G1 races to be shown the respect they deserve was 100% the correct thing for me to do and I will/would take the same stand if someone wanted to down grade an English G1 or a G1 from anywhere else in the world!
To say i am trying to change (and disrespecting) the Hunt League by defining Novice from Open by suggesting moving open grade to 6yo+ is no more (to me) than a soccer player rolling around on the ground holding his face when all he did was trip over his own feet when you all are willing and accepting of NOT running the greatest and most famous jumps race in the world at the correct age limit!
So from my view point - if you have no trouble with running 5yo's in the GN* then I have put forward a suggestion to make the Hunt more open and easier to understand to International trainers to make it more inclusive.
Now I am not the only one suggesting change - Darren 'Johnny Rotten' Howells :-) came through with punk ethos with his solution to the game - and i will not hide from it - i agree with him.
Others also acknowledge that there needs to be some tweaks.
Maybe you fellas can't see the 'outsider' point of view because this is all in your DNA or you have been involved in the game for so long that the Hunt is all second nature to you - but i can tell you now as an outside, the Hunt is not user friendly and as Daniel pointed out - there is nothing to explain how it works.

This is suppose to be a debate - if my suggestions go through, great - if not, no worries!
But we all understand that there needs to be other issues addressed as well.
The fact some have arc'd up - they have to step back and rein it in - this isn't life or death - have a weekend off then get back into it.
Some of the threats in here have been...well i wont say how i feel but it is unwarranted and disappointing!

I will warn you all - while i play in the League i will always have opinions and thoughts and suggestions.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:46 am
Group 1 winner

NPG319 wrote:

I will warn you all - while i play in the League i will always have opinions and thoughts and suggestions.

Good and so you should Doug everyone should have a say or come up with ideas
Doug must admit have not read all the posts here who threatened you that is unacceptable.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Debate and ideas are always good most of the changes in the league have come from this.

I am South African so don't fit into the uk Irish thing for the hunt but its the only racing I follow in real life and I just enjoy it more in game as well so probably an anomaly. My flat team is just for having a team

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 am
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
NPG319 wrote:

Good and so you should Doug everyone should have a say or come up with ideas
Doug must admit have not read all the posts here who threatened you that is unacceptable.

No personal threats.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:33 pm
Group 1 winner

i threatened to disembowel him but that was in borderlands 2

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:43 pm
Group 1 winner

jalupen wrote:

lol not before i head shot you :)

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:07 pm
Group 1 winner

oi not the face thats bad form its my only redeming quality

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 pm
Group 1 winner

jalupen wrote:
oi not the face thats bad form its my only redeming quality

lol :)

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:40 pm
Group 1 winner

jalupen wrote:

4 week forum ban Steve and banned from the league until next season :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next