View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Possible Legends editor. Opinions? 
Site Admin

Post Possible Legends editor. Opinions?
Another job I have not yet done is adding a few more legends. One of the reason I have put this off is because I get the feeling the majority would enjoy creating their own and everyone has different favorites.

It takes a while creating legends. I have my own editor which is not really suitable for anyone else as it has about 40+ sliders and input boxes for parameters that won't be obvious for anyone but me. The process is usually to set the parameters and then add a specific feature race list for that horse (so that it can replicate the path it's real life counterpart took). This process is usually a case of going through the racing posts past performances and adding each race. Then I export the legends and run them over varying distances against each other and tweak parameters based on the results and repeat.

So right now if I do create an editor these are the key points:

The editor will be simplified cutting out as many parameter as possible.

Legends may not breed. I am open to opinions on this as I can see breeding from your legends in the game is attractive. If may however change the dynamic of the whole game possibly making things too easy or hard depending on your use of the legends.

Any horses with legends in their lineage will not be exportable (for league play).

The process of exporting and racing legends in order to test probably won't be available to users which would make things more difficult. There is a possibility I could add some kind of in game gallop option as a method of comparing legends though.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:24 pm
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Possible Legends editor. Opinions?
I personally think legends make it extremely difficult, if not nigh on impossible for people playing the stock schedule, and no speeding through seasons, to win the major races. I think they detract from the game. Why not just have some very good game horses with other trainers? Though, as I do not do the league, do not mega breed the guts out of horses, and just play the game as it is without trying to manipulate the form, then I may well be in a minority, but thought I would add my two penneth worth from my perspective.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:21 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
I personally think legends make it extremely difficult, if not nigh on impossible for people playing the stock schedule, and no speeding through seasons, to win the major races. I think they detract from the game. Why not just have some very good game horses with other trainers? Though, as I do not do the league, do not mega breed the guts out of horses, and just play the game as it is without trying to manipulate the form, then I may well be in a minority, but thought I would add my two penneth worth from my perspective.

If a Legends editor is introduced the inclusion of Legends in any game will remain optional.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:44 pm
Group 1 winner

I rather see no legends in game Mark I don't think the game needs them if legends are in Game then I see no point in stopping being used in breeding if every League Player has access via the breeding Barn once the legend as been retired to stud then its fair enough but we had a thing two seasons ago where a player used Frankel to breed with and was banned.

He was allowed back in season just gone and still his lineage was suspect as he had good Horses with tiny amount of breeding if you cant say no way anyone can hex the horse file then it might be better to let anybody breed with legends.

Gray

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

If you can hex a horse it doesn't matter if it's a legend or not. You can (through trial and error) just max out certain parameters. Export files can't be hexed as they use aes256 encryption. Having a Legend editor won't increase the chances of hexing.

If you do not want legends in the game you do not have to include them at game start.

Someone asked yesterday about sharing created Legends. This could be possible except if the players were using different race schedules then the horse may not stick to the correct career path as the race references would not match.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:50 am
Group 2 winner

Hi Mark,

Personally this was one feature I think was in need of improvement. I would love to see more legends in the game, and if I could add the ones I wanted to see that would be a brilliant feature. An option is probably required but I see it as a great addition to the game. If other players don't want it then just don't use it.

Steve

https://www.sportsleagueladders.com/

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:05 am
Group 1 winner

It would be cool if legends keep popping up through out the life of the game - maybe every 5 or 10 seasons - would be good if during my 100th season Winx comes into the game.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:06 am
Handicapper

I'd certainly like a legends editor to add more of a challenge to the game and add variety.

It'd also be nice to have an option to move a game horse to legend status but leave them breedable because they were made within the game and not an editor. I.E. I get this super horse that wins 50 G1s over 1m-1m6f from the age of 2 to 7 years old. I then put him in the breeding shed until he dies. At the start of the following season, the game asks me if I want to add the horse to the legends file. These effectively game bred legends should be classified differently from editor legends so we're not excluded from using horses we actually bred ourselves or were randomly generated within the game.

Maybe also an option for randomly generated legend quality horses that have random names so they're much harder for us to figure out if they're a legend or just a really good horse. These legends should also be similar to the game bred legends where you can breed with them but have their breeding cost be really high or limit them to 1-5 foals a year. Or the random legends could use the game bred legends we added to the game ourselves and just give them a different name. Maybe even swap their sex so if I add a stallion to the legend file, there's a chance he could return later but as a super mare or a super gelding.

Legends should also have a random time frame they can pop in. Right now we can choose what year we want them to appear but maybe there should be an option to have them randomly appear and another option for how many are allowed to appear at a time. You can't guess when a great horse will appear in real life.

Since we all technically have access to legends, making them unbreedable is unnecessary. Maybe have it tied to difficulty? Easy allows you to breed with legends but normal and hard doesn't. There would also have to be more things to make playing on normal and hard more appealing rather than just changing the number of horses and money you start with. Maybe have a variable so prize money is multipled by the difficulty (like easy = 100%, normal = 150%, hard = 200%) or better horses appear more frequently on higher difficulties. If you get the better horses, good for you. Makes the game harder if the NPC gets them instead. Injuries and fines you'd think would also be more frequent in higher difficulties as well as possibly bad weather. Or maybe have you can't export horses in easy mode which allows for you to breed with legends but not use them in the league. Then just don't allow us to carry over horses between saves so we can't import horses sired by a legend in easy to a normal save. Or we can only import horses into similar difficulty games (easy to easy, normal to normal). Legends could also have more variable breeding. Great horses don't always have great offspring. Man o' War was considered a terrible stallion and many think War Admiral was sired by another stallion. So maybe have normal horses have less of a range for their foals so their progeny are closer to their parents but legends can have foals that swing wildly from being nearly as great as their legend parent to not even winning a seller race against a donkey.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:24 am
Group 3 winner

I think legends make the game interesting and adds to the game mark, lets not forget Gray not all the people want to be in the league, so mark please do keep working to better the game for the home player not only for the league players.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:37 pm
Selling plater

We need a lot more legends in the game Mark, It's ok having Frankel at the start of the game but by the time a players breeding operation is up and running he has then left the game meaning you couldn't take him on, 50-80 legends from the past on both codes being let loose seasons apart would provide the player with a real challenge, Not everyone wants to race in the league, I have no interest in it personally but i would love to try and take down legend after legend with a horse from my breeding operation, Imagine a legend, A game bred champion and a player bred champion turning for home at Royal Ascot, Deffo worth it IMO!!!!!

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:27 am
Group 1 winner

legendary wrote:
We need a lot more legends in the game Mark, It's ok having Frankel at the start of the game but by the time a players breeding operation is up and running he has then left the game meaning you couldn't take him on, 50-80 legends from the past on both codes being let loose seasons apart would provide the player with a real challenge, Not everyone wants to race in the league, I have no interest in it personally but i would love to try and take down legend after legend with a horse from my breeding operation, Imagine a legend, A game bred champion and a player bred champion turning for home at Royal Ascot, Deffo worth it IMO!!!!!

I agree with this - waste of time having legends run early in the life of the game. Legendary is right - who's going to have a horse to take on Frankel within the first 10 or so seasons - no new player to the game could. There are so many international champion horses that could be spread out over 100 or so years - released every five or so years and they progressively get harder and harder to beat.
I also think that when the first legend comes into the game that there should be a large message come up on the screen announcing that a legend will come into the game this season and a new legend will enter the game every five years (for example).

I remember when I first played the game - I had no idea about the legends and completely over looked them. Also I think maybe it should be announced when each legend comes into the game as not everyone is going to know every legend and then they can look for it and challenge the legend.

Cheers.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:03 am
Handicapper

I LOVE the idea of a Legends Editor, as long as they can't be used for breeding. I take it this would also be a legends creator, so I could theoretically create Highland Reel and add him into the game?

I echo the comments about them introduced too early in the game. It would be better if they were more sporadic, but the idea of Sea The Stars popping up 20 years in the game to take on my Derby horse would be brilliant fun.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:18 am
Group 1 winner

NPG319 wrote:
legendary wrote:

I agree with this - waste of time having legends run early in the life of the game. Legendary is right - who's going to have a horse to take on Frankel within the first 10 or so seasons - no new player to the game could. There are so many international champion horses that could be spread out over 100 or so years - released every five or so years and they progressively get harder and harder to beat.
I also think that when the first legend comes into the game that there should be a large message come up on the screen announcing that a legend will come into the game this season and a new legend will enter the game every five years (for example).

I remember when I first played the game - I had no idea about the legends and completely over looked them. Also I think maybe it should be announced when each legend comes into the game as not everyone is going to know every legend and then they can look for it and challenge the legend.

Cheers.
Maybe have a Legends button available during your game and when it is pressed, legend/s appear following season. That way they appear when you think you can handle the challenge.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:51 am
Site Admin

There should already be a facility to delay the introduction of any legend (in SO6). When you start a new game you can spool the start year on the legends page.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:23 am
Group 1 winner

probably a bit late now but what about some jockey legends piggot shoemaker Cauthen eddery carson ect...

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next