View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Single word name v multiple names 
Group 1 winner

Post Single word name v multiple names
Let me explain.....

IRL many horses have just a single word name (Frankel, Secretariat, Galileo, Yeats etc....) rather than 2,3 or 4 separate words.

I haven't yet bought SO7, but looking at some screenshots on here, it appears that single word names are quite rare indeed (except for the horses you get to name yourself). I suspect that the AI naming of horses takes elements of the sire and dams names to create the new name? If so, then how infrequently are single word names horses after a few seasons of gameplay?

What's people's experience?

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:50 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Single word name v multiple names
On the few games I’ve played you can get the odd horse with a one word name breed from it and get a horse with a name containing 3/4 words. Eg: I had a mare who’s name began with a letter A (can’t remember exactly what) and it’s offspring had 2/3 words names eg: pack of cards. You can however still get horses with one word names at the sales and you can get offspring from breeding with 1 word names.

I’ve never really bothered about the names of the horses if I’m honest. If the horse has got a name I don’t like that I’ve bred or bought from yearling or 2 year old auction I just change it. It’s different from SO6 where it takes part of the stallion and mares name for a foal, I think it’s randomly generated now.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:10 pm
Group 1 winner

For the first few years of a new game (exact number of years depends on your pool size), all names will be taken from the default colts and fillies' name files. Once all of these names have been used up, the game will start using the millions of automatically generated names from the files within the _ndgen folder. These names have all been generated by taking random first and second words from the default name files and putting them together to form new two-word names. This is why you see so many names that don't make much sense in older games, and why all the names after a certain period of time only contain two words.

I spoke to Mark about this a few weeks ago, and made a start on creating brand new default name files that would result in slightly more realistic auto-generated names, but it's a mammoth task and even after spending many hours on it I didn't get close to finishing it.

A potential alternative (and it's been mentioned by others in the forum too) is to bring in the option to rename ANY unraced 2yo (even ones that are not your own). It would be time-consuming for those that wanted to do this each season, but it would bring three big advantages: the option to have single-worded horse names (or names with 3+ words), the option to create more realistic names, and the option to create names that actually relate to a horse's lineage if you choose.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:34 pm
Group 1 winner

panther wrote:
For the first few years of a new game (exact number of years depends on your pool size), all names will be taken from the default colts and fillies' name files. Once all of these names have been used up, the game will start using the millions of automatically generated names from the files within the _ndgen folder. These names have all been generated by taking random first and second words from the default name files and putting them together to form new two-word names. This is why you see so many names that don't make much sense in older games, and why all the names after a certain period of time only contain two words.

I spoke to Mark about this a few weeks ago, and made a start on creating brand new default name files that would result in slightly more realistic auto-generated names, but it's a mammoth task and even after spending many hours on it I didn't get close to finishing it.

A potential alternative (and it's been mentioned by others in the forum too) is to bring in the option to rename ANY unraced 2yo (even ones that are not your own). It would be time-consuming for those that wanted to do this each season, but it would bring three big advantages: the option to have single-worded horse names (or names with 3+ words), the option to create more realistic names, and the option to create names that actually relate to a horse's lineage if you choose.

Thank you for your comprehensive reply Panther, it is much appreciated.

I very much hope Mark reads this thread and incorporates an option to allow users to name all 2 year-olds themselves. I'd definitely welcome that option personally, and I'm sure lots of others would too. As a full member of the "16076" club from SO5, I am quite particular about the naming of horses in-game. If Taurus is reading this, I know they'd second it!!

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:33 am
Group 1 winner

Yasmin Stott wrote:
On the few games I’ve played you can get the odd horse with a one word name breed from it and get a horse with a name containing 3/4 words. Eg: I had a mare who’s name began with a letter A (can’t remember exactly what) and it’s offspring had 2/3 words names eg: pack of cards. You can however still get horses with one word names at the sales and you can get offspring from breeding with 1 word names.

I’ve never really bothered about the names of the horses if I’m honest. If the horse has got a name I don’t like that I’ve bred or bought from yearling or 2 year old auction I just change it. It’s different from SO6 where it takes part of the stallion and mares name for a foal, I think it’s randomly generated now.

Thanks Yasmin, but even an in-game horse called "Dave's Chippy" winning the Derby would grate on me!! Each to their own huh?!! :)

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:38 am
Selling plater

That would be a great idea Panther, and yeah GS63 for those of us who want the names to be as realistic as possible nameing 2 year olds would go some way to that. Ive got hundreds of names on standby anyway. Looking at the ndgen folder a lot of the names are quite a mouthful tbh, but i dont think ive enough time and years to tackle that :lol:

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:40 pm
Selling plater

Definitely, panther. It would be great to add names for horses which are in relation to their lineage. I think the ngen file is a good idea, but I have noticed too that their are no single or treble named names which doesn't look realistic after time. Is it actually possible to edit the ngen file in anyway?

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 pm
Selling plater

It is possible to alter the names in the ndgen file, open the file useing notepad then you can rename them, as long as you check afterwards that there are no duplicates,ive used duplifind to do that.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:48 am
Group 1 winner

Taurus1 wrote:
It is possible to alter the names in the ndgen file, open the file useing notepad then you can rename them, as long as you check afterwards that there are no duplicates,ive used duplifind to do that.

Yeah, it's possible, but there are millions of names in those files, so it would still be a massive task to replace all the ones you don't want. Preference would still be the option to rename any 2yo in the game. It would be good to be able to give horses names that relate to their sire/dam.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:36 pm
Group 2 winner

This should be an option.

We could do it in SO6 so at a loss to explain why we can't do this in the new game.

The sooner the better for me.

https://www.sportsleagueladders.com/

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:43 pm
Group 1 winner

panther wrote:

Just checking to see if there is any update on this option being added to the game in a future patch?

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:49 pm
Group 1 winner

I'm interested to know this too.........Mark?

Wed May 15, 2019 11:33 pm
Group 1 winner

GS63 wrote:

This was updated in patch 0.117. We can now rename any yearling or unraced 2yo, regardless of who owns it.

Thu May 16, 2019 8:28 am
Group 1 winner

panther wrote:
GS63 wrote:

This was updated in patch 0.117. We can now rename any yearling or unraced 2yo, regardless of who owns it.

Excellent! My list of horse names will be happy!!

Sat May 18, 2019 7:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]