View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 SO7/SO6 compatible horse skins 
Handicapper

Post SO7/SO6 compatible horse skins
I'd fiddled with this in six but not shown anyone. Been doing more reskinning than breeding ;) Here is what I changed.

Nostrils bigger/darker textures to more look how they flare when running. Mane/tail textured with some brown and more highlights. On the black it just looks like a little sun bleaching but helps fool the eye on the browns, making the dark brown look decent and the chestnut slightly less odd. Eye texture found, some tweaks to make them look reflective, light lashes look on two. Can only notice eye changes if in jockey mode and looking around. Too many blazes, fewer other markings, so varied the face markings. Looked like too many socks, but some were bandages. Changed some to have fasteners or a contrasting tape color to make it more obvious what was a sock and what was a boot/bandage. More variation in sock heights.

Black -black, faded strip
... Now: faded blaze removed, minor tweaks only.
Brown01- was red bay with a blaze with hind leg wraps (which looked like socks)
... Now: is a sooty dappled bay with a star and hind leg wrap bandages changed to black boots with contrasting white closures.
Brown02 - clipped light bay or dun
... Now: minor tweaks only
Brown03 - was bay w/ black points on face but no black legs (was bay then?), no socks, and a blaze
... Now: now a dark brown/liver chestnut with a star and a snip and white forelegs to fetlocks
Brown04 - was medium bay with a wide blaze, four mid-cannon socks
... Now: shifted bay to more of a blood bay, for more bay shade variations, minor tweaks
Brown05 - bright bay, no socks, no blaze
... Now: as much a chestnut as I can do with dark mane, hind socks almost to hock, star and narrow strip on face
Grey01 - light grey
... Now: minor tweaks only
Grey02 - dark dappled grey, four high socks
... Now: deepened the dapple and sooty marks, no socks, front leg white bandages with contrasting black tape

Download Links For The Skins (same file)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k1pItcwAFUG4ZH2oXmSRgc23CN7odrMh
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k1pItcwAFUG4ZH2oXmSRgc23CN7odrMh/view

Download Link For The Portraits
https://drive.google.com/open?id=148twz7j_2wESYzj9CDYqHWCunVn3K73L

Edit: "Version 2 - No More Grass Belly" is up. Scroll down to here to see current pics.
http://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=148949#p148949

Of course no help without pictures. This field, happily, had at least one of every color entered. (Pics also show mjtags11 saddle cloth number colorizer).

Higher res one I took of the TV

Last edited by Hechicera on Tue May 28, 2019 3:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:23 am
Group 3 winner

Post Re: SO7/SO6 compatible horse skins
Get them out they look good, i'd have them in my game.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:26 am
Handicapper

I played with the horse textures myself back early in SO6 and found the eyes are part of the bridle texture. Once I noticed that, it started to kill my desire to tweak the textures any. I wanted some horses with white bridles, some with red, others with black or brown. Having the bridles look like they have polka dots due to keeping the horse's color brown or having the reverse with the horses looking blind or really odd stopped me from changing them. Then I had hoped we could have multiple textures for the same color so two bay 2 horses would have different markings but that was impossible, too. The single mane and tail file was another one that discouraged me. The mirrored and repeating textures (most obvious with the bridle) drove me bonkers. I eventually gave up after the only horse I really semi-completed was California Chrome. When I couldn't make him a true chestnut without making the other colors look strange, I threw in the towel.

Your textures look good, but it'd be nice if the tack were a separate file so we could have different colored tack, that there were multiple mane/tail files so we could have true chestnuts (regardless if you have the color in there, they're still considered bays in the game) and even white grey ones if we wanted, and each color had multiple skins.

I could have sworn a feature of SO7 was a mod folder so we didn't have to replace files or have to keep replacing files after patches. So far I haven't seen hide nor hair of that. Maybe that's still in the pipeline, it's there and I missed it, or I was just dreaming it. Gets rather repetitive debating how much I want to patch the game versus how many files I have to replace after the patch and then hoping I don't forget anything causing the game to crash. Spending weeks editing the showcase only to do an update and my entire showcase gets wiped out forcing me to have to go back to replace files with my versions gets irritating. If the mod folder is a real thing and still intended, maybe multiple skins for the same color will be possible this time, though.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:09 am
Handicapper

Yeah, the file layout is the same. I found what you found, and even more weirdness. Then documented it all for Mark in my non-critical bug list I'm maintaining of what I've found so far over here http://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17667 Over the weekend I sorted it by type of bug, so I have a whole page on 3D ones about three posts down. I used red to isolate the pixels, and the link to the black with glowing red eyes and red striped bridle is funny. The visor bug is also is amusing.

For anyone that wants to use/help test, or use:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k1pItcwAFUG4ZH2oXmSRgc23CN7odrMh
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k1pItcwAFUG4ZH2oXmSRgc23CN7odrMh/view

Let me know if you have problems with the link or the files.

Last edited by Hechicera on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:56 pm
Group 3 winner

Cant download the file

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 pm
Handicapper

I just increased the sharing level. Then retried in two different browsers, and while signed out of google. I also added the link in the post above for a specific ....../view. Try that one in case the default was for edit.

Are you seeing:

or

Both the icon and button worked for me (even with the preview warning). If they don't can you explain what you do see instead?

I was hoping to use google share rather than a paid service. :(

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:45 pm
Group 3 winner

All i see is the white screen with the file, I dont get the buttons to the right with the download button

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm
Group 3 winner

All good got them now thanks for your help

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:06 pm
Handicapper

Whew, excellent. Just got to the computer after sleeping in from feeling under the weather. So this is my first good news of the morning, err afternoon. :)

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:39 pm
Handicapper

New version, minor changes.

Brown_03 lightened nose and part of body, since browns often have a light area near nostrils and both changes made for better contrast/highlights
Grey_02 dark grey touch up inside of back leg seam, only visible from behind in jockey mode

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:18 am
Handicapper

New Version

Black - adjusted shading on neck, less smudgy more muscle definition, minor tweak, only really for higher res

Rainy game day.

Sunny Day.

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 pm
Group 1 winner

They look great. Good work!

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:46 am
Handicapper

Thanks, new version up. Two changes you can see watching, one you would really only notice in jockey mode and looking around (back).

Brown01 - improvements to the dapple and sooty shading on flank and hindquarters, much better from above view too
Brown04 - reworked the base chest and front leg join, much less jarring now, will only notice in jockey mode though
Brown05 - the now faux chestnut, removed some black counter-shading on dock area that was there from when it was a bay, now dark chestnut for shadow shade

To get new versions, should be able to just redownload from same links.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:19 pm
Handicapper

What I'm working on. These aren't out yet. The base skins had few muscle shadows, just structural ones. I've added a flank muscle as when running it really pops when fit and on some colors that flank muscle is obvious (Winx is a good example on both fit and color that shows it heavily). I've also added either a darker dorsal stripe (browns usually and dark bays often have one) or lighter shading (coat color depending) along the spine. When viewed from above is more interesting and from an angle, shading of the spine on the hindquarters helps give an impression of the shadow cast by the back muscles present in a racing fit horse regardless of markings. I've also had difficulty trying to get the chest muscles to show and then to get a blend with the neck, and with further refinements in the face shading.

I am mostly satisfied with Brown (also added more seal points to it for more interest), and in progress on the two greys and black. Once I've done a pass on all, I'll release the set as the next version I guess. This is why I haven't done more breeding!

The front angle, from jockey mode, using z or x to look back at the horse.

Shows flank muscle, work on hindquarter shading.

The spine dorsal stripe/shadow on Brown, form an above angle. This will be the darkest one. Some may not be full length on other colors, more where muscle is deeper.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:35 am
Handicapper

OK, the "no more grass belly on racing horses" version is up. Same download links. This will be most obvious if you ride in jockey mode a lot.

The front muscling only being "right" on one model bothered me - every time I looked backward in jockey mode to see if I could let off the gas yet. Shadows should look reasonable now:

All of them have dorsal/spine muscle shadows (color depth to match coat):

My liver chestnut/dark brown is a little more refined from the post above, here are some other colors in riding mode looking over at them sideways:

And to make sure the shading did not look odd on jumps, here is one of the colors where the shading is more obvious jumping:

All together jumping:

All together flat:

No more grass belly! Shoulder, hip point, angle of hip, pants muscle shadow, neck muscle and leg joins all retouched on every color. Head shadows also looked at. Not perfect yet, but if I go down that rabbit hole ... though if anyone sees something that bugs them, let me know.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next