View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 The Final SO6 Season TRIALS/EXHIBITION RACE DAY 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: The Final SO6 Season TRIALS/EXHIBITION RACE DAY
Lordedaw wrote:
Total disaster for me. I seem to have taken a huge step back. Might not even be able to compete with Doug and Stu on this showing. Too busy to do any more breeding/playing so I may well just be returning horses from the last 3 seasons as the new ones don't seem up to it.

Just like the stupid 3 horses pull up over 3miles+ every race will have 3 horses running below par, I wish every horse would run on its own merits.

Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:49 pm
Group 1 winner

Doubt you have gone backwards Martin, just likely not improved as much as everyone else. My flat team is light years ahead of last year and yet it seems all I have done is keep pace :(

Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:48 pm
Group 3 winner

Lordedaw wrote:
Total disaster for me. I seem to have taken a huge step back. Might not even be able to compete with Doug and Stu on this showing. Too busy to do any more breeding/playing so I may well just be returning horses from the last 3 seasons as the new ones don't seem up to it.

same for me martin .. put loads of hours in and what a load poor runners .. why do i bother ? not 100% of joining the last season and SO7 as im trying to do well in SO6 .. time to hang up boots and play some other games

Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:28 pm
Group 1 winner

Stick with it matey, your going in the right direction. Just need to recognise good bars does not always equal good league horse, ‘‘tis why trials are so important, virtually none of that last lot I sent you were any good and they all looked uber. Beating the top tier is a seriously hard ask.

Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:48 pm
Group 1 winner

Am always in a mess, I have shed loads of horses that are not trialed or ever likely to be.

I tend to find my most concentrated period of playing, is the first 5 weeks of the season, the past two seasons I have not filled my stables at the beginning & normally a big proportion of returning horses, but this gives me a shot at improving in this period and adding 10-20 new horses across the flat & hunt at the break which imo helps me keep enthused.

I do not play the game for league purposes during the close season whatsoever, anything that I ran in the trails were bred during last season.

Mart, plenty of handicaps to win & Del it would be a great pity if you didn't take part.

The hunts a lottery 75% of the time and I have won some great races (5 at the festival 2 seasons back) a 4th in the National last year, a 3rd the year previous, with mediocre bar horses & most never had a full pot bar let alone some of the other stats, the flat is tough as we know and even in 0-75/80's there is some good competition, a win there, still feels like an achievement.

So join me in the lower tier its only frustrating when its one of those weeks full of G1's :lol: :lol: :lol:

But generally still good to be part of, whether at the top or the bottom.

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:22 pm
Group 3 winner

I started last season pretty hot with 10 wins in the first 2 weeks.
By half way through i was lucky to get 2 wins a week.
So i dont think anyone should be writing themselves off based on one trials event.

Below is the wins

Flats
Paul Rhodes 6
Jango 3
D Thompson 2
Hilltop stables 2
J Sutherland 1
Tam King 1

NH
D Thompson 4
J Sutherland 4
Ghostzapper 4
Paul Rhodes 2
S Grey 1

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:32 am
Group 1 winner

Quote:
The hunts a lottery 75% of the time and I have won some great races

It really is not, and if I recall you won those races as you very carefully managed your better horses into races where things were in their favour, that was not luck either. In my view your jump stable is on the cusp of being consistently in the mix, you likely have a few horses who have that jumping gene, whatever the heck it is, you just need to isolate and exploit it, and it is not in the bars nor from uber flat breed cast offs either, though they can win races, they will not do it with any regularity :)

Every time I mix my lines 98% of the time I just end up with horses who are not very good at anything, or downgraded flat horses, it took about 6 or 7 generations of burying some flat genes in with this years jump stable to get a few 'experiments', (See 'Galadriel' in the exhibitions for an example of an early model, generation 3 I think, and she ran like a flat horse as she really still is one, 'Eight The Elves' who is two generations on from her line directly, is better, less flat bars or polish, more jump stock, but still not quite up to snuff) I admit some of the finished models are not bad at all, in fact they are monsters, but they are still jumpers, specifically bred for the purpose, and they have lost most of the bars I was aiming to get in that 'flat polish' in the process. :)

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:25 am
Group 1 winner

Maybe not 75%, although it does help that a few better horses may full by the wayside or get pulled up improving my chances in some of the bigger races, I was not suggesting the better horses win by luck as plenty of 12st monsters do win.

Agree some of my hunt horses, well a few seemed to have turned the corner, although "Scottish Half" which won the 2.6 trial is funny enough from a Flat Dad and a jumps mare, obviously more luck than judgement and an anomaly to boot I'm sure.

Tho I will not get excited as one or two good runs and 25lb Gray :wink: steps in, and once in the 140's harder to compete for my boys, but I will continue to try and be wise upon placement.

Enjoy your Sunday chaps.

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:43 am
Group 1 winner

I have had some success in a direct flat to jump breed, but only on hurdles and even there this is the exception rather than the rule. My champion hurdle prospect is only two generations deep I think, so can happen, but he also lost all the bars from the flat side.

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:29 pm
Group 3 winner

watched trials again and was not so bad this time lol
and i will be in this league
foghorn leghorns always repeated his self - most famous saying was .. i say i say my boy and is defo going in flat stable as better over 2miles
also named a horse called Geld the Stu lol going in league for fun

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6