View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Online Jumping League 
Selling plater

Post Online Jumping League
Hi Everyone , I hope you and your families are staying safe during this challenging time . and Happy Canada day to all Canadian .

I am new to the Starter game, I start playing about a month now ,I am now very familiar with the flat race and I am producing really good horses , I started few days back working with jumping horses , and I don’t understand the concept of how to produce good jumping how to race them what races to enter and when . is their a place where they explain a bit about jumping I did search on YouTube for jumping horses I didn’t find any I don’t know if I did miss anything their .

Please can you help me in this area ???? or direct me to someone that can help me understand jumping and how to train and work with the horses and schedule races for them ,

if anyone can help me i would appreciate that .

Jumping is really hard lol

Thank you very much
Sincerely
Jean Berchan

Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:55 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Online Jumping League
First and foremost welcome to the game.

Couple of house keeping things, if your aspiration is to compete in the online league make sure your playing a ‘league’ mode game else your efforts will be wasted. What training mode of the game are you playing as there will be slightly different answers depending on which you adopt, there is no right of wrong here you just need to pick one that works for you. And finally are you playing a jumps only game or a combined jump/flat game?

For a general view of jump racing this is as good a place to start as any:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hunt_racing

In game context the training and breeding method is largely the same on the jumps side as it is the flat, the main difference is you will not really see the best of your jump type horses until they are older usually 7-9yo’s give or take, so you need to be patient before you know what your looking at. Other than that you want to get a breeding operation up and running and spend your early time building a stock of horses from game auctions. Jumping is of course a key stat to look for but again be mindful of the age progression so a 2yo that cannot jump is less of a worry than a 8yo that can’t.

There are a lot of excellent jump trainers here with a wealth of experience you can draw from, so with a little more context on your game you’ll get a lot of decent insight.

Josh

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:56 pm
Selling plater

Githyanki wrote:
First and foremost welcome to the game.

Couple of house keeping things, if your aspiration is to compete in the online league make sure your playing a ‘league’ mode game else your efforts will be wasted. What training mode of the game are you playing as there will be slightly different answers depending on which you adopt, there is no right of wrong here you just need to pick one that works for you. And finally are you playing a jumps only game or a combined jump/flat game?

For a general view of jump racing this is as good a place to start as any:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hunt_racing

In game context the training and breeding method is largely the same on the jumps side as it is the flat, the main difference is you will not really see the best of your jump type horses until they are older usually 7-9yo’s give or take, so you need to be patient before you know what your looking at. Other than that you want to get a breeding operation up and running and spend your early time building a stock of horses from game auctions. Jumping is of course a key stat to look for but again be mindful of the age progression so a 2yo that cannot jump is less of a worry than a 8yo that can’t.

There are a lot of excellent jump trainers here with a wealth of experience you can draw from, so with a little more context on your game you’ll get a lot of decent insight.

Josh

Hi Josh Thank you for you respond ,

i am playing online mode already and i am on Automatic training mode , i am playing just jumping in Uk .
i have a different game for the flat . with the flat i am really doing great , i am producing already horses that can compete in the online game. But in the jumping on i am about 5 o 8 second slower after about 3 weeks of playing jumping i am not improving at all .i think their is something missing of understanding the concept of the game . their is a lot of information on flat racing , but almost nada on Jumping .

Thank you very much

Jean

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:17 pm
Group 1 winner

I cannot speak for the process on auto train with authority as I manually train my game, however the fundamentals are the same:

1 - you want a decent breeding operation use the auctions to add to your stock and don’t be afraid in the early stages to put into stud horses who are no good, you can buy a breed mare for a few thousand and make considerably more even if you just sell the offspring every year and you want money as......

2 - go to all the auctions and buy a lot, I am typically buying everything at the start of year auctions and often buy mid season too, but early on it is a good way to get a stock of horses and every now and again you will find a gem.

3 - breed with the game stud, but don’t limit yourself to the top horses, spread your fillies over a fair number, look for high strike rates or win percentages, see what ages they won at, check times or going of races etc basically look for indicators of talent or that apparent poor form can be explained. Good breeders are not always good horses themselves and vice versa.

4 - if your playing for the league don’t assume good game form will equal good league form. The races in the league are run on a different game engine, similar to the construction kit (CK) so if you have not already messed with it you will need to get familiar with the ck and start to trial your exported horses against each other. Game form will give you some indicators but ck form is the one that matters for the league.

5 - I mentioned ages, I will mention it again, don’t expect much from your jump horses until they are at least 7yo’s, my league jump strings never reach full potential before 7 and usually 8yo, some hold this until they are 10yo. You also want to races them on a specific path so start with NHF races when they are three, juveniles when they are four and novice races when they are either 5 or 6, even then this is likely too early for chasers. Then look at handicap and graded races of they are good enough from 6/7 onwards.

6 - the breeding distance indicator is exactly that and indicator, it is common for horses to be at their best 4f either side of this, in some cases 8f. Look at the jockey comments and head lad comments for ways to improve your horses or race selection.

7 - I personally believe in gelding my horses but that is maybe just my personal preference and remember if you do you cannot breed with them so use carefully. I think it makes for better jumping but I know a lot of trainers don’t think it makes a difference.........

If I think of an 8 I’ll post it, I am sure others will offer feedback in due course, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Good luck

Josh

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:50 pm
Group 1 winner

8 - be patient success takes time,

9 - try them at both hurdles and chases, typically chase horses will not need to be as fast as hurdlers, but high speed if never a bad thing to have

10 - breed smart look carefully at your own breed and try and pick a pairing where the relative strengths and weaknesses of each horse will be improved or enhance the other. You will hit a lot of blanks but it is nice when all the pieces fall into place.

11 - look at the attributes jumping agility and starting and since your not manually training you will need to look to breed improvements so like other bars picks a pairing where the outcome will enhance what you start with

12 - ground matters, soft and good ground preferences are best, firm and heavy tend to make the horse rather niche and since jump racing happens in the winter firm ground is rare, try and breed that out of your lines.

13 - trial trial and trial some more, use the best ck trial performers in your breed it always look to have at least one good trial horse in every pairing.....

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:05 pm
Group 1 winner

14 - size matters, least I believe it does, I rarely have any small build jump horses and certainly not chasers.

15 - if your horses won’t settle consider using a pacifier, it is not a certain fix but may help, longer term you want to breed such traits out.

16 - potential is probably a key stat followed by acceleration and speed, stamina is key for distance horses and also front runners in my view. Remember jump horses will continue to improve into their later years. Jumping ability also develops as they age. But bars are not everything there ate lots of stats you cannot see so consider them in combination with race performance etc and I assume you understand the difference between realised and unrealised potential?

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 pm
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:

7 - I personally believe in gelding my horses but that is maybe just my personal preference and remember if you do you cannot breed with them so use carefully. I think it makes for better jumping but I know a lot of trainers don’t think it makes a difference.........

Josh

In the interest of knowledge sharing.......(for league playing at least)
If the "Head Lad Feedback" suggests Gelding may improve the horse.

1. Decide when you want to export the horse and first save the game
2. Geld the poor boy! and export him.
3. Crash the game, i use the "Task Manager".
4. Restart the game and your horse will still have the family jewels but the gelded version will be in the export pool.

Cheers

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:23 am
Group 1 winner

Yep that too, my method is a little more complicated and done for other reasons too, age and running out of stable space but there are ways and means to get around the worst possible outcome, a star horse you cannot breed.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:58 am
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Yep that too, my method is a little more complicated and done for other reasons too, age and running out of stable space but there are ways and means to get around the worst possible outcome, a star horse you cannot breed.

Yeah, i think it was your post about this that made me aware of this method. :)

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:25 am
Selling plater

Githyanki wrote:
14 - size matters, least I believe it does, I rarely have any small build jump horses and certainly not chasers.

15 - if your horses won’t settle consider using a pacifier, it is not a certain fix but may help, longer term you want to breed such traits out.

16 - potential is probably a key stat followed by acceleration and speed, stamina is key for distance horses and also front runners in my view. Remember jump horses will continue to improve into their later years. Jumping ability also develops as they age. But bars are not everything there ate lots of stats you cannot see so consider them in combination with race performance etc and I assume you understand the difference between realised and unrealised potential?

Josh do you think training them manually is better , if so can you explain to me the concept of manual training and what i need to do ?
thank you very much for your help its much appreciated i hope i am not bothering you with all my question .

Jean

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:40 pm
Group 1 winner

Now there is a million dollar question. I don’t know if it’s better, it is certainly more effort and it was recently established I am one of the few league trainers who manually trains, so you definitely don’t have to do it to enjoy success.

You really need to decide if it is for you, I cannot really compare them as I have never played any other way. For me it started with wanting to make the game side as much of a sim as possible, now for the league i just like the added layer of training depth and control it offers.

I did a quick summary in the Cheltenham day 1 interview the link for which you will find on here, but basically it requires a lot more time and management of your horses fitness and you need to set specific training regimes for each horse which need to be changed frequently throughout the season to get the best out of it.

There are likely strong pros and cons for both so really personal choice.

No worries about the questions.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]