View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Noob in the league 
Handicapper

Post Noob in the league
I apologise up front to everyone for how bad my donkeys are but i am the noobiest noob here and i want to use this season as purely experience and learning. If i get any horse better than last in any race it's progression to me so i'll be happy but i truly don't want to spoil your entertainment, if it does please tell me and i'll drop out for the season and just observe i will enjoy my time either way :)

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:35 am
Group 2 winner

Post Re: Noob in the league
Don't give up.

This league is for everyone, from the professional trainers down to amatuers like yourself.

Keep entering handicap races and your luck may change. Don't enter group races as this will detrimentally effect your horses handicaps.

In SO4 I never managed more than about 10th place but by SO5 I was winning a few races. Try the National Hunt side of SO6. My flat horses are still donkeys, but I have won 7 races over jumps so far this season.

I beleive that many trainers use horses that are not good in the flat over jumps and do reasonably ok. With the new upload window this week try the National Hunt.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:55 am
Handicapper

I dare not try jumps yet lol i have never completed a season on them so no homebreads etc i have a saved game i started when i got the game but played for only 3 months in-game :)

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:23 am
Group 1 winner

Jester - the best thing you have done is get your stable involved.

It is my first season too - and it is a great learning curve!
As Wannabe said - carefully place your horses in races - forget the big races and look for your low rated handicap races 0-80, 0-85, 0-90 etc
I too placed my cast off flat runners into the jumps - I have a feeling that if I put my flat horses into the jumps instead I may have better success.

everyone in the community are glad that you are involved :-)

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:28 am
Group 1 winner

Jesterlaugh wrote:
I dare not try jumps yet lol i have never completed a season on them so no homebreads etc i have a saved game i started when i got the game but played for only 3 months in-game :)

You be surprised how many flat horses are in my Jump Team and I play Jumps more than flat you can get sprinters that make great 2m jumpers.

Gray

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:29 am
Profile YIM WWW
Handicapper

Thank you for making me feel welcome, maybe a silly question, can i just put the same horses in flat AND jumps or is that just chancing my arm a bit too much? :)
i could pick 2 or 3 of the best i find among my old game, play it a day or two and race them up a bit?

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:49 am
Group 1 winner

Jesterlaugh wrote:
Thank you for making me feel welcome, maybe a silly question, can i just put the same horses in flat AND jumps or is that just chancing my arm a bit too much? :)
i could pick 2 or 3 of the best i find among my old game, play it a day or two and race them up a bit?

No you can't use the same horse, what I do is trial them all and get my flat team together then use all the leftovers and trial for the jumps, turns out that my milers and 1m2f horses that didn't make the flat cut have all won a race over Jumps without ever jumping a fence in the normal game. Well worth doing, if you manage to trawl through the forums there are plenty of tips lying about. As people have said do not enter Listed/Group races as it will ruin the handicap mark, even if it means a horse sitting out a few weeks for the perfect opportunity in a handicap it's worth it. Make sure you trial them in CK if you haven't already, there's plenty of threads around with good tips for that as well along with how to breed good horses for the league. Best of luck!

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:16 am
Handicapper

just messing about and this happened :)
not just beating the Champ and stopping his win streak, but entering a second horse on the day doesn't give you a jockey :?:

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:21 pm
Handicapper

i looked at the racing schedule and i see no 3-legged race or donkey derbies....not fair lol

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]