View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 ROYAL ASCOT PREVIEWS 
Group 1 winner

Post ROYAL ASCOT PREVIEWS
As per a few previous seasons long ago I managed to do full previews for the whole Royal Ascot meeting and my plan is to try and do some again, I'll hopefully get them all done as doing them as horses are added so if you can get your entries in for me that would be great lol!

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:26 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: ROYAL ASCOT PREVIEWS
Wow looking forward to it Sir Nick!

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:01 am
Group 1 winner

I've got a busy weekend ahead so these will be popping up throughout the day! Hopefully I can get through as many as possible, please don't be offended if not mentioned! I've got loads to get through so will be a brief overview of each race!

If the fields change after the previews I will try and update them!

Last edited by nick_driver on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:18 am
Group 1 winner

Race 1 -- Queen Anne Stakes -- £350000 -- Ascot -- Flat -- 1m -- Group 1 -- Open -- 4+ -- Good To Firm

Battle Star - Consistent sort who ran a big race in the Bet365 Mile before running freely in the Lockinge and dissapointing, ground may not help here.
Burnt Fingers - Solid performer over 7f but yet to make real breakthrough, needs to turn form around with a lot of these after 5th in Bet365 Mile.
Dafiya - Best form came when 3rd in the Godolphin Mile but dissapointed since, the return back to a mile will help.
Pour It On - Classy performer winning 2 group races including G1 Lockinge, rated 122 and the one to beat.
Queen Mary Li - Bounced back from disappointment in Dubai with a 2nd in G1 company, 7f was too short last time and can bounce back.
Red Hot Chilli - Won the Godolphin Mile but very disappointing on return to Britain. Got plenty to make up with a lot of these on Lockinge run.
Sir Andretti - Running consistently in handicap company over much shorter, always staying on and trip may suit but got to improve.
The Queen Is Waiting - Pulled off major shock for shrewd trainer when 2nd in Godolphin Mile but struggled on return, needs to improve.
Vanilla - Very consistent sort who always runs a good race, return to maiden form could produce a victory here.

A tight affair with a lot of collateral form to go on. The first 3 from Dubai have disappointed on return and the ground may see off Battle Star. POUR IT ON should pour on the pressure and collect the prize though I think and he's the one to catch. Queen Mary Li and Vanilla are consistent sorts who can fill the places

1st - Pour It On
2nd - Queen Mary Li
3rd - Vanilla

Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:44 am
Group 1 winner

Race 2 -- King Stand Stakes -- £350000 -- Ascot -- Flat -- 5f -- Group 1 -- Open -- 3+ -- Good To Firm

Checkmate - Ran a good race in Qatar handicap over 6 but needs to improve a fair bit.
Chortle - Running mainly over 6f and ran big race in G2 Duke Of York while also only a length away in the Palace House, big chance.
Drive By - Running consistently with 3rd in G1 company and 4th in the Temple Stakes, may need to show another gear to get infront.
Process - Running big races in defeat and shown consistently that he is group class, finally gets the firmish ground as well.
Red Bengal - Another consistently performing well at group level, needs to overturn form with Strombash.
Rock Band - Looked good in maiden but struggled to live with the best in group company, may need 6f in the future.
Shtick Aid - Yet to show much form in group company and this level will be a step too far.
Strombash - Certainly one of the main principles with a big win in the Pearl Palace House Stakes. Has plenty of form that would suggest he can win here.

Again another tight race and plenty with chances but I feel the ground may just fall in favour of PROCESS who has been running consistently but I wouldn't be surprised if Strombash or Chortle went in either with Red Bengal and Drive By just behind.

1st - Process
2nd - Strombash
3rd - Chortle

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:07 am
Group 1 winner

Race 3 -- St James Palace Stakes -- £350000 -- Ascot -- Flat -- 1m -- Group 1 -- Colts -- 3YO -- Good To Firm

Big Dreams - Double Guineas winner and in fine form, certainly the one to beat on form and will take some stopping.
Insidetrackracingdotcom - Ran 2 big races at handicap level but a poor run when favourite for the Silver Bowl and will need to improve markedly.
Meet Me In Summer - Yet to really show anything of note with lowly 13th in a 0-90, going up in trip should be a positive though.
Musical Strombash - Been unfortunate in defeat getting to within a length of Big Dreams in both Guineas, could make it 3rd time lucky here.
Nikos Break - Dropped down in class to win and come 2nd in 2 heritage handicaps, comes back up in grade but full of confidence.
One Dime - Best form came when 3rd in the Irish 2000 Guineas and disappointed lto when 6th in the Diomed. Probably needs 9 furlongs.
Scouser Decision - Ran a big race when 6th in the Craven Stakes and comes back from the USA in fine form but needs to turn form around with Musical Strombash which I can't see happening.
Victor - Unfortunately injured in the Irish 2000 after 3 ultra-consistent runs. Definitely got the class to run Big Dreams and Musical Strombash close.

Another very close race but I have a feeling it could be 3rd time lucky for Musical Strombash who will have to fend off the current top miler Big Dreams and Victor who could sense victory here.

1st - Musical Strombash
2nd - Big Dreams
3rd - Victor

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:22 am
Group 1 winner

Race 4 -- Coventry Stakes -- £120000 -- Ascot -- Flat -- 6f -- Group 2 -- Open -- 2YO -- Good To Firm

Apache Cat - Given too much to do in maiden over 5 before staying on in the Woodcote, could throw in a big performance.
Appreciate - Appreciated the step up in trip to 7f winning at Maiden and Listed level, may not have the pace for this.
Auntie Hamas - Another who would probably appreciate 7f more after improving in Maiden Hcap last time out.
Commander - Trainer bullish about this newcomer, certainly one to watch.
Filet O Fish - Showed good pace when 2nd in 0-100 level but couldn't go with them in the Woodcote, this probably too tough.
Jean Claude Ellinoux - - Won well in handicap company but on miaden and Woodcote form may need to improve a lot to win this.
Jet - Consistent handicapper from 5-6f but this is way above his league.
Just Another Day - Midfield in a few decent listed races before dissapointing over 7f latest, first run at 6f and probably a watching brief.
Meet The Miller - Struggled to make an impression in 2 starts over 5f and 7f, will have to wait for the handicaps to get a result.
Morpeth Li - Another newcomer starting off in group 2 company and almost certainly a watching brief.
Officer Of The Lodge - Runs consistently over a wide range of distances but probably needs a bit further than 6f but do not count out.
Purple Pin - Ran below standards so far for top trainer showing improvement in the Woodcote latest, another that may be better over 7f.
Red Strathaird - Newcomer for top 10 trainer who is worth keeping an eye on, could suprise.
Specious - Midfield and staying on in maiden which is his only race so far. Could throw up a shock.
Timeless - Outpaced over 5f before stepping up and finishing down the field in the Woodcote, may need to wait for handicaps.
Trident - Ran badly at Chester when favourite but showed class when 2nd in the Woodcote and running on, big chance.
Wi Fi - Newcomer for returning trainer Hickman, another watching brief.

It's certainly not the strongest Coventry Stakes there has been but it still includes plenty of improving types. On the form the clear pick is TRIDENT and that 2nd in the Woodcote is by far the best form on offer. If continuing to improve then Appreciate could stay on for a place while I don't think we have seen the best of Apache Cat either. Best of the newcomers is most likely to be Commander who if as good as the trainer says could throw up a big shock.

1st - Trident
2nd - Appreciate
3rd - Apache Cat

Last edited by nick_driver on Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:12 am
Group 1 winner

Race 5 -- Ascot Handicap Stakes -- £60000 -- Ascot -- Flat -- 2m4f -- 0-90 -- Open -- 3+ -- Good To Firm

Shes gone mad - Always ran with credit and unfortunate not to have a win on the board, certainly has some good form in the book.
Mr Royal - Didn't show much until just faltering when 2nd in the 0-100 last week. Unfortunately that run may have scuppered his handicap mark for this.
Mauritius - No showed in handicap company last time out but has good stamina and plenty of good form in the book.
Emperor - Only the 2 runs and struggled last time out but still unexposed and the trip will suit.
Sayaarr - Been running at a variety of trips but has weakened in handicaps over much shorter than this and that has to be a worry.
Blue Mast - His maiden form suggests he has a few lbs in hand on a few of these but struggled to land a blow since.
High Bussa - Will certainly ensure that the race is ran at a true pace but that could set it up for a few of the closers rather than himself.

A very trappy contest and one that is very hard to predict. I have a feeling though that Matty Mclean can pick up a Royal Ascot win here with SHES GONE MAD. The horse has plenty in hand on a couple of these and has the best form in the book. Blue Mast could be very well handicapped and I think Mauritius is also on a good mark.

1st - Shes gone mad
2nd - Blue Mast
3rd - Mauritius

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:31 am
Group 1 winner

Race 6 -- Windsor Castle -- £60000 -- Ascot -- Flat -- 5f -- 0-90 -- Open -- 2YO -- Good To Firm

Fabaleux - Yet to run over 5f and unsure as to whether it would suit but not yet made a breakthrough in 0-90 company and might make one here.
Red Ink - Down the field in both starts and outpaced on both outings, too high in the weights and needs further.
Arrow Green - Hadn't shown much before running a big race at 33/1 in 0-100 company, that form will put him close here.
Escape - Didn't show much before a great 2nd over 6f, on the form it looks like 5f will be too short but the horse could do very well in handicaps over 6f.
House Of Blues - Midfield in most appearances but of a good mark and dropped in class to a 0-90 for the first time.
Sabatini - Down the field in most appearances and ran over every distance except 5f, no reason to see him improving over shorter.
Mainland Ardkilly - Running consistently and staying on from the midfield in most races, outpaced over 6f though and may need further.
West Indies - Ran a huge race to be 2nd in the 2yo championship qualifier over 6f but I doubt that the step back down to 5f will suit.
Jazzy Girl - Not shown much in 4 appearances to suggest any improvement, another outpaced over 5f and will be better for the step up.

Another tough race to decide with a lot of horses fluctuating in distances ran so hard to pick up a good form line. ARROW GREEN has probably shown the best form over 5f being beaten by 2 well fancied horses in a class above this and the horse will also carry a nice weight and I can't see it being beat. If this was over 6f then West Indies would have a huge chance as would a few others. House of Blues is a true 5f horse and the step down in class should give him an advantage.

1st - Arrow Green
2nd - House Of Blues
3rd - West Indies

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:45 am
Group 1 winner

Race 7 -- Jersey Stakes -- £75000 -- Ascot -- Flat -- 7f -- Group 3 -- Open -- 3YO -- Good

Darren Element - Didn't look too promising until scooting up in a handicap and then running a big race in the Irish 2000 Guineas, that form entitles him to a chance here.
Deadwood Deadwood Li - Won a 0-90 in week 4 and looked impressiver but faded completely in the championship qualifier last time out, watching brief.
Diamonds In Spring - 4th in the mile championship qualifier which shows improvement but might be below this level.
Eastern Day - Newcomer and can't really judge how good it will be so watching brief.
Genk - Another newcomer for the giant PJ Rhodes operation, highly touted and could run a good race on debut.
Hawaii - Newcomer for the Hickman yard who like many of the newcomers is best watched.
Im Talking Li - The first runner ever for Charlie Farthing in the league and hopefully he could be competitive!
Little Acorn - Only been seen once and won the Listed Spring Cup beating some very useful types and could take all of the beating on that form.
Man La - Another one to sit back and watch but hopefully he goes well for Darren Howells.
Northern Hero - One of the top lights from Martyn Cairns' stable and probably has the best form of the bunch with his 4th in the 2000 Guineas, one to watch.
On A Mission - Faded close home when leading in the Preakness Stakes, comes back to Britain with a huge chance if having the speed for 7f which he probably does.
Scouser Trip - 9th in G3 company last time out was an OK run, needs to improve a fair bit to go close here.
Skylla Belle - Newcomer who will probably struggle at this level.
Subway - Same as above likely to wait for a chance handicapping.
Sutton Colt - Another landmark first run for a trainer this time for Joshua Sutherland.
Zaar - Trainer likes it's chances but hard to assess on first run.

A very interesting affair with plenty of maidens that could prove to be at a high level, I'm going to stick to the form we've been given and despite the form of Northern Hero and On a Mission, I'm going to stick with Little Acorn. He just scrambled home in the Spring Cup but that form is more than good enough to give him a chance in this. Both Northern Hero and On A Mission have high class form but Little Acorn is proven at the trip. Best of the newcomers will probably be Genk and I wouldn't be suprised to see that in the top 3.

1st - Little Acorn
2nd - Northern Hero
3rd - On A Mission

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:19 am
Group 1 winner

Race 8 -- Prince Of Wales Stakes -- £500000 -- Ascot -- Flat -- 1m2f -- Group 1 -- Open -- 4+ -- Good

Albany Tripper - Best run came when 6th in the G3 Dahlia over 9f, big step up into G1 company and going to be tough.
Black Keys - Beat some top horses when running away with the Gordon Richards at Sandown, must have a shout on that form.
Darren Strawberry - Brings some impressive form to the table with a 2nd in the Middleton and 4th in the World Cup, can forget last run and should go close.
Layla - Went on to win the Middleton after being runner up in the Dubai World Cup, surely got to go close here on that form.
Pathfinder - ran a massive race in Dubai but has regressed since, 10f might not be the best trip though.
Play Warrington - Very versatile horse with 4th in the Gordon Richards and 3rd in the Lockinge, G1 quality and can be bang there.
Prentals - Dubai World Cup winner who couldn't get there in the Middleton, Still need to find out if he is as good on the turf as the dirt.
Savannah Bay - 9th in the Middleton on only start and has to turn the form round with lots of these.
Tax Stex - Well down the field in the Gordon Richards before sweeping all before him in 2 handicap runs since, entitled to be here and could outrun odds.
Word Up - Very tough and consistent type but yet to be able to make a race his own and may fill the places again.

This is probably the best race on the card formwise and is full of G1 quality. Prentals won the Dubai World Cup but can he run as well on the Turf? Layla, Black Keys, Darren Strawberry, Play Warrington and Word Up are all very tightly bunched together on form. My vote is for DARREN STRAWBERRY, the Middleton run was top class and was barely far away in Dubai, the Diomed run can be forgotten and the ground will suit. Prentals clearly has to go close and I feel that Word Up can run a big race in 3rd.

1st - Darren Strawberry
2nd - Prentals
3rd - Word Up

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:45 am
Group 1 winner

Race 9 -- Royal Hunt Cup -- £150000 -- Ascot -- Flat -- 1m -- 0-110 -- Open -- 3+ -- Good

Hawkwing - Clearly a solid chance for shrewd trainer Peter Cahill, never run over a mile though and that is a strike against this one.
James T Kirk - Well fancied to win the Lincoln and done so with ease, outpaced and well down the field in the Silver Bowl though and lightning may not strike twice.
Hardly Nonsense - Run very consistently and yet to finish outside of the top 10. Ran 6th in the Dante but his handicap form over a mile is below this level.
Silkkut Tax - Yet to land a significant blow since finishing 5th in the King Richard III, not sure on the real ability of this horse but could be anything.
Sandow - Certainly in with a shout after a significant 3rd in the Silver Bowl, was also 5th in the Craven and the horse certainly should run well at this level.
Up River - Stepping up from 7f but hasn't shown any form that would suggest a mile would suit and may need to drop back down in trip.
Go Danske P - Been running in good races but yet to break the top ten and the form shown probably isn't up to this level.
Carnation - Hard to assess this one, 9th in the 1000 Guineas is her only form over the mile and she was all but 5 lengths away. I think she's well in here and has a big chance.
Bird Topofthenorthracing - Early form was very good over the mile with the 5th at Listed level the best, been outpaced and down the field since but has chances on early form.
Seasalt - 4th in the Lincoln was strong form and looked a good prospect but down the field in the Silver Bowl, could put up a fight here.
Intimidated - Didn't show the best form early on until earning a 5th in the Royal Mile. Regressed since and may need to come down the handicap.
Syria - Most runs have ended up with this one in the midfield at this level and will probably be the same here.
Dunkirk King - Not shown any form to say he could compete at this level, best run came in a 0-90 and this is multiple steps above.
Count Of Monte Cristo - Interesting type yet to drop down to a Mile, ran a great race in the World Cup but was outpaced on most starts so may need much further.
Tiesto - 7th in the Lincoln and 7th in a handicap last time out, trainer expected much more and could be well handicapped.
Jazz - Consistently improving with a 6th in the Victoria Cup when staying on a fantastic run, 8th in the Lincoln too and can't be dismissed.
Hardern - Been running ok at 0-90 level but faultered last time in a 0-100, another step too far here.
Spring Jacob - Best run came when 8th in a 0-85 handicap and may struggle from out of the weights.

An interesting puzzle as usual and without the draw is tough to pick. I think both Tiesto and Jazz are the ones to watch out for from the bottom of the weights with the 2 top weights also looking dangerous. For me though the winner might just be a monster one for rookie trainer Illyria Sweet with CARNATION. He's already caused a shockwave in the training ranks with a 2nd in the Godolphin Mile and the horse comes here with reasonable group form to it's name and is certainly unexposed. Sandow is the trainers best chance at the meeting and could run a huge race and others that stand out are Bird Topofthenorthracing and Seasalt

1st - Carnation
2nd - Sandow
3rd - Jazz

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:09 pm
Group 1 winner

Race 10 -- Queen Mary Stakes -- £100000 -- Ascot -- Flat -- 5f -- Group 2 -- Fillies -- 2YO -- Good

Austrian Royalty -Well down the field in 2 runs so far and won't be up to this grade.
Bullett From The Gun - 3rd at Chester lto which was solid form and also 2nd in a maiden, has every right to go close.
Imana - Showed nothing in maiden before placing in a 0-100 handicap, certainly needs to improve though.
Khanda - Has had entries for all the big races but yet to run for some reason, could be anything.
Le Madame - Shown her class when running on late in handicaps, will have to make the step up though in a tough race.
Lompanon - Nothing has got near her and that 4l win at Chester last time out was incredible, she shouldn't be stopped here.
Pearls Captain - Improved no end with a big win in the Woodcote which could prove to be great form, only question mark is whether she has the pace to go with Lompanon over 5f.
Queen Motion - Newcomer for leading trainer, could well be anything but expecting big things from her.
Sabrehill - Another newcomer who is tough to assess, may need the run.
The Sweetest - Again same as above, tough to assess the newcomers.
Undisclosed Desires - Very consistent type yet got plenty to find with those at the head of the market.
White Oak - Didn't show much in the way for form until storming home for places at Chester and Epsom, Not sure Ascot will suit in comparison to those tracks but entitled to run well.

I feel that this race revolves around the beast that is LOMPANON, Peter Cahill is bullish about the chances of Pearls Captain but LOMPANON's win at Chester was just phenomenal. Queen Motion is a very interesting newcomer with Bullett From The Gun and White Oak also looking to be competitive.

1st - Lompanon
2nd - Pearls Captain
3rd - Queen Motion

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:20 pm
Group 1 winner

That's it for now, will move on to day 2 later on!

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:30 pm
Group 2 winner

Fantastic work Nick and you are definitely right about my newcomers, they are just getting a mark.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next