View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Breeding Help 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Breeding Help
It is not easy to say how this league will go, I expect to see the same names at the top, but unlike previous versions of the game this seems to be more accessible to the casual player, keep your expectations measured and make smart entries and I think picking up handicap wins is well possible from say 10-15 seasons in.

Trials are also key game success and bars are only indicators, you do not know what you have until you run them in the ck and obviously breed the hell out of the pick of the litter.

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:10 pm
Selling plater

So I have my first multiple G1 winner. She's done very well in the game - Oaks, Arc, Breeder's cup, king George. I'm sure she's poor in the ck, but hey I've made progress.

I've also bred 40 group winning mares with the best game horse, who is also the top sire by G1 wins. His stud fee is £6m, but I had a nice little RF in a big handicap that paid £400m, so that's ok for now.

I'm selling all the horses with low potential, hopefully this is logically correct.

Those that have high potential, 80%+, but that bar is only half full or lower I don't know what to do with? With they ever realise this potential? Or all they to be sold as well.

Interesting what you said about the bars and I must trial every horse. I'll start to keep a spreadsheet of which horse runs at which distance, or create folders I guess.

Thanks for all your help.

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:53 pm
Group 1 winner

I am a far better jump trainer than I am on the flat, but have found great league horses with only 80 to 90% potential. I sell the real dross so the 20% lot that you always get, I tend to keep from 70 onwards. On the jumps they need at least 50+ realised to have a chance of reaching full by 7/8yo. On the flat this seems to progress faster but some will never realise potential and as you progress you will set your own personal markers on what to keep and what to sell. Also note a horse that does not fill out may still breed something that does. Glad this has helped you progress.

And yes trial often, I tend to do mine in batches of 3/4 seasons of breeding so mass trials, others trial every year, find what works for you and stick with it. And be forgiving on distances I have horses that the game rates as 6f who are really 1.2m horses though you can usually work this out from the lineage.

Josh

Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:09 pm
Selling plater

Thanks again.

Just had this great idea to breed my star filly with super colt from a different game, but the transfer option isn't available in "league mode", which i guess is a good thing.

Re the money, i just tend to skip 5-10 days look out of two 33/1+ horses finishing 1st and 2nd, ideally clear of the 3rd, and then go back and RF them to the max. Sometimes the result changes, but it shouldn't take too long to come back. Repeat when neccessary.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:06 pm
Group 1 winner

Yep, gambling is the key early on, you do not need to bother later but I figure all the main trainers are playing with billions in the bank, it is not something you want to restrict you when league training. The challenge the game presents itself is limited but the challenge of playing other players will constantly test you, it is the only reason I play the game.

Exports and transfers to the tff are disabled in this version of the game it was done to make it more approachable to all, it seems to have largely had the desired effect, though the first league season was still dominated by a handful of trainers, personally I am hoping we all hit a wall and everyone else steps up.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:51 pm
Handicapper

I don't bother with Gambling myself, I prefer to breed lots of 2yo's and sell the ones I don't want. If you are short of funds at the start, breed your mares with the cheaper group winning stallions and you should make a nice profit when selling the foals as unraced 2yo's. It may take longer to raise funds but it feels more organic.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:30 pm
Group 1 winner

That’s my second phase, finally settled on a new flat game, did £250m first year, 80 mates in the barn producing the sales crop, I will probably gamble this year and then let the breeding take over my finances so I can concentrate on trying to find some league types.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3