View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Flat Group 1 minimum ratings 

Should there be minimun rating for G1's on the flat - week 1 and 6 not included
Poll ended at Sun May 24, 2020 9:23 am
Mimimun Rating 85 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Mimimun Rating 90 43%  43%  [ 9 ]
No Miminum Rating 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 21

Flat Group 1 minimum ratings 
Group 1 winner

Post Flat Group 1 minimum ratings
Because of the large fields causing horses to run 10 wide I created this poll. Week 1 and 6 are not included so new horses can enter group 1's in these races

Tue May 19, 2020 9:23 am
Selling plater

Post Re: Flat Group 1 minimum ratings
I am a reletive newcommer and havn't been around the forum very long but wasn't this brought up in SO6 days and rejected.

I think that there are other factors involved here as well. If you set min ratings, will you also stop double entries?

It basically comes down to trainers with the lesser horses being banned from big races limiting their choice of races. In reality, keeping those races for the "elite" 10 or so trainers so as not to spoil the chances of the "elite" trainers horses.

On the other hand, I can understand where you are comming with with this suggestion. In the league, the reality is horses less than 80 rated have very little chance of winning a G1 race. I would probably hate it if half a dozen 60 rated horses blocked my 120 rated horse and spoiled his\her chances.

Are we looking at what happens in real racing or in a horse racing game?

If this is brought in for G1 races, why not G2 races? What about large fields in h'caps. Should they be limited to the lowest 16 rated horses so that horses don't run wide in h'caps.

What field sizes would you like to see?

I am not sure about this next statement, haven't really looked at real numbers but even limiting races to over 90 rated horses, could you end up with 20 runner fields.

Tue May 19, 2020 10:29 am
Group 1 winner

The problem in So7 is that horses are going 10 wide. But that is not the main issue. The main issue is that the lower rated races are getting very few runners as the horses are going into G1's 85 is not very high and the field sizes will still be large. But the lower handicap races are getting field sizes of 5 or 6 horses. It will create a better spread of horses in the races available. At the moment G1's are getting very large entries and lower rated handicaps are getting very small amount of entries.

There is no need for any other restrictions. G2/3 or listed G1 horses have a weight penalty anyway so people will be reluctant to run in these.

This is to help new trainers get winners and not get an inflated rating by running in a G1 killing their horses chances for rest of season.

Tue May 19, 2020 10:44 am
Group 1 winner

leonvr wrote:
The problem in So7 is that horses are going 10 wide. But that is not the main issue. The main issue is that the lower rated races are getting very few runners as the horses are going into G1's 85 is not very high and the field sizes will still be large. But the lower handicap races are getting field sizes of 5 or 6 horses. It will create a better spread of horses in the races available. At the moment G1's are getting very large entries and lower rated handicaps are getting very small amount of entries.

There is no need for any other restrictions. G2/3 or listed G1 horses have a weight penalty anyway so people will be reluctant to run in these.

This is to help new trainers get winners and not get an inflated rating by running in a G1 killing their horses chances for rest of season.

I have mentioned this to Gray and spoken with Mart about this issue.
I believe we need a minimum rating for Group races. Of course this can't happen at the start of the season but maybe after week 6 it can be applied?

With the amount of G1 Hcp races in the game from Australia - I think they should be open for all rated horses as that IS the point of Hcp racing in Australia.
Maybe to offset the Group race minimum we need to slot a few more Australian G1 Hcps into the schedule?

Also - Wolverhampton - where the first legs of the 0-100 Hcp races - all those races need to be split into two. At least eight runners in each race needn't of bothered as they had no chance by being drawn wide on the track.

Tue May 19, 2020 11:39 am
Group 1 winner

NPG319 wrote:
I have mentioned this to Gray and spoken with Mart about this issue.
I believe we need a minimum rating for Group races. Of course this can't happen at the start of the season but maybe after week 6 it can be applied?

With the amount of G1 Hcp races in the game from Australia - I think they should be open for all rated horses as that IS the point of Hcp racing in Australia.
Maybe to offset the Group race minimum we need to slot a few more Australian G1 Hcps into the schedule?

Also - Wolverhampton - where the first legs of the 0-100 Hcp races - all those races need to be split into two. At least eight runners in each race needn't of bothered as they had no chance by being drawn wide on the track.

Yeah I agree a few more G1 Handicaps from Australia would be good. There is even a G1 handicap from South Africa, The July Handicap, we could add :D These races give a lower rated horse more chance than in a normal G1 race.

NH has loads of group handicaps and it's the great thing about the Nh schedule

Tue May 19, 2020 11:50 am
Handicapper

leonvr wrote:
Because of the large fields causing horses to run 10 wide I created this poll. Week 1 and 6 are not included so new horses can enter group 1's in these races

Maybe week 6 should be included. Maybe new horses at week 6 should have to run in maiden/groups 2-3 first before entering a G1 in week 7. I thought a bit of shine was taken off the G1 Ascot races by having unknown 75 rated horses in it. The guys did a great preview show, but understandably had no idea about the new horses.

Tue May 19, 2020 11:54 am
Group 2 winner

Didn't there used to be a 20 runner maximum for G1 races ?

I am kind of torn on this because we don't really want to become elitist but some of the field sizes have been erratic this season.

As usual I have a few ideas, some which people will like and some that they won't. When I initially suggested allowing dual entries it went down badly and quite a few people weren't keen. However, it turned out to be beneficial to all and make for some much better races. Maybe some of these suggestions are possible. Not sure if the limitations of TOM or the amount of work involved make any of them impossible but I will suggest them anyway. These are FLAT ONLY suggestions except for the first.

1. Move the transfer window and the current week 6 maiden races to week 7. Having the window after Ascot would make far more sense.

2. Apply in game maximum runners limit and add this information to the race card.

3. Ballot out the lowest rated horses regardless of trainer having another runner. This would deter people from entering if they were constantly balloted out.

4. Open races up for 3 runners per trainer for under subscribed races 2 hours before the deadline. (ie races with less than 6 runners)

5. Give Gray the authority to move a race to a different track if it is looking over subscribed 24 hours before deadline. Or even announce in a post on here . THIS RACE MAY BE MOVED TO NEWMARKET IF FIELD EXCEEDS 24 or something. Obviously there would have to be certain races that this couldn't apply to like The Derby or Royal Ascot races etc but maidens and low rated handicaps shouldn't be a problem

6. Apply a minimum rating only if field exceeds an agreed number.

7. Try to educate new trainers better and explain to them how running in too high a grade race is detrimental to their whole season. I believe this is why Craig had so much difficulty with the initial handicapping as this season too many horses are proving inconsistent and once a horse who is consistant gets stuck with a high rating it is difficult to bring it down. This is why we saw some horses who were consistently finishing in mid division after a good first run staying too high and others who were running inconsistently were going up and down like yo yo's.

Tin hat at the ready :D :D

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Tue May 19, 2020 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

It must be more simple than adding a min rating.

Max field size of 16 for example (as we use elsewhere & discussed more times than I care to mention here) and only ONE entry

Thus allowing some lower trainers to still get a run in a prestige event.

Tue May 19, 2020 12:33 pm
Group 1 winner

I think almost certainly moving the window till after Ascot is great idea! So your ascot horse is uploaded week 1.
Removing trainers horses that enter 2 horses and would always be the lowest rated if race exceeds maximum.

I think restricting race numbers does then push you towards the same trainers only having horses running and that’s what nobody wants.
I voted 85 minimum rating for group race I also think has to have at least a run to get in any group or listed race.

Tue May 19, 2020 12:40 pm
Group 1 winner

Reply to your poimts

1. Move the transfer window and the current week 6 maiden races to week 7. Having the window after Ascot would make far more sense.

Agree with this

2. Apply in game maximum runners limit and add this information to the race card.

This can be done but would need to be done in the scedule. Quite a big job but only needs to be done once. Will require me to make some code changes but not a big issue. One for next season

3. Ballot out the lowest rated horses regardless of trainer having another runner. This would deter people from entering if they were constantly balloted out.

Not sure if I agree with this

4. Open races up for 3 runners per trainer for under subscribed races 2 hours before the deadline. (ie races with less than 6 runners)

Very hard to do at present. And quite hard to code in. Also would not be fair on people in countries in different time zones

5. Give Gray the authority to move a race to a different track if it is looking over subscribed 24 hours before deadline. Or even announce in a post on here . THIS RACE MAY BE MOVED TO NEWMARKET IF FIELD EXCEEDS 24 or something. Obviously there would have to be certain races that this couldn't apply to like The Derby or Royal Ascot races etc but maidens and low rated handicaps shouldn't be a problem

Yes I think this is wise.

6. Apply a minimum rating only if field exceeds an agreed number.

Quite hard to achieve in code so will be hard to automate. Might be able to figure out a way but will take some time thinking about

7. Try to educate new trainers better and explain to them how running in too high a grade race is detrimental to their whole season. I believe this is why Craig had so much difficulty with the initial handicapping as this season too many horses are proving inconsistent and once a horse who is consistant gets stuck with a high rating it is difficult to bring it down. This is why we saw some horses who were consistently finishing in mid division after a good first run staying too high and others who were running inconsistently were going up and down like yo yo's.

Good luck with this. It has always been issue. you can't blame trainers for wanting runners in the best races. It's only flat that this is an issue. NH the more runners in G1's the better.

Tue May 19, 2020 12:41 pm
Group 1 winner

Anadin wrote:
It must be more simple than adding a min rating.

Max field size of 16 for example (as we use elsewhere & discussed more times than I care to mention here) and only ONE entry

Thus allowing some lower trainers to still get a run in a prestige event.

I was dubious about the 2 entry rule but it keeps the top trainers out of the lower races, so it seems to be working well.

But max field size with all trainers getting a runner before removing any is a good rule.

I liked the rule when I was just a handicap trainer as well, which was the case for many of the previous seasons.

Tue May 19, 2020 12:46 pm
Group 3 winner

I voted for no minimum rating, I think it's a case of play the hand u dealt . U get lucky sometimes and unlucky other times.

Tue May 19, 2020 12:59 pm
Group 1 winner

ghosty wrote:
I voted for no minimum rating, I think it's a case of play the hand u dealt . U get lucky sometimes and unlucky other times.

If you watch the hcp'ing - the only lowly rated Group winners are 75 rated horses having their first start.
I think the first six weeks should be free for all but after week six you know if your stable or horses are realistic Group winning chances.
I voted 90 but 85 is fine....maybe even 80.

Tue May 19, 2020 1:50 pm
Group 3 winner

NPG319 wrote:
ghosty wrote:

If you watch the hcp'ing - the only lowly rated Group winners are 75 rated horses having their first start.
I think the first six weeks should be free for all but after week six you know if your stable or horses are realistic Group winning chances.

Martin but I have a horse who ran well in her first 2 starts and then got drawn out in the car park and finished no where and yet she wouldn't be allowed to run in the big races. Her mark was 104 and then the h'capper put her down to 85 and after her last race was put back up to 100. So some weeks she would be allowed and others not.

Tue May 19, 2020 1:55 pm
Group 1 winner

ghosty wrote:
NPG319 wrote:
ghosty wrote:

Martin but I have a horse who ran well in her first 2 starts and then got drawn out in the car park and finished no where and yet she wouldn't be allowed to run in the big races. Her mark was 104 and then the h'capper put her down to 85 and after her last race was put back up to 100. So some weeks she would be allowed and others not.

Tue May 19, 2020 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next