View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Split all group 1's on turning courses 

Split G1's on turning courses for rest of season 20 in G1 rest into G2 FLAT ONLY
Split G1 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Don't Split 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 13

Split all group 1's on turning courses 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Split all group 1's on turning courses
leonvr wrote:
ghostzapper74 wrote:
Instead of this why not have one person or two different people sit down and have a look at every course we have a group1 over and work out how many horses should be running in those races and then come to some simple solution about how many horses can run in them . If a course cant hold a lot of horses over lets say that distance then have a group1 h'cap over that distance some where else to make up for it so everyone can have a runner . :D :D

That is the idea of all these polls. But they for next season. We need a quick fix for this season as the York farce race can't be allowed to happen again.

Problem races in week 8 will be

Goodwood Cup
Sussex Stakes
King george

and maybe even the Nassau

Best to sort this now before we run into issues at race time again. Handicaps on courses that can't handle big fields will have to be split. Its not fair on half the trainers Drawn 30 and above is just a pointless run at most courses. You can talk all you want about bad luck. Bad draw of 20 is bad luck. Draw 34 you may not even have your horse in the race.

The king George and sussex can be run on track 2 at goodwood. No probs with them. Make sure all races up to a mile is run on track2 .

Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 am
Group 1 winner

King George is at Ascot and too big a field will send them into the trees.

Are you saying you want 30 plus runners in the Sussex and Goodwood Cup. Y0u have front runners so doesn't matter to you . Most people don't so will affect every one except yours. Do you think that's fair?

Sun May 24, 2020 10:39 am
Group 1 winner

leonvr wrote:
King George is at Ascot and too big a field will send them into the trees.

Are you saying you want 30 plus runners in the Sussex and Goodwood Cup. Y0u have front runners so doesn't matter to you . Most people don't so will affect every one except yours. Do you think that's fair?

I thought u meant the big 5 furlong sprint at goodwood the king george. I've never run races at goodwood but that bend has to be the worst ever in game. And that's saying something. :? :?

I think 1m4 races around ascot is not to bad compared to other tracks because u get plenty of time before the home bend.

Sun May 24, 2020 10:43 am
Group 1 winner

ghostzapper74 wrote:
I thought u meant the big 5 furlong sprint at goodwood the king george. I've never run races at goodwood but that bend has to be the worst ever in game. And that's saying something. :? :?

The horses do strange things at Goodwood. At Ascot some will be in the trees. I have run a few brief test runs. Hence why they need to be sorted out before entries open

Sun May 24, 2020 10:49 am
Group 1 winner

leonvr wrote:
ghostzapper74 wrote:

The horses do strange things at Goodwood. At Ascot some will be in the trees. I have run a few brief test runs. Hence why they need to be sorted out before entries open

That bend at goodwood should go , one for gray in the of season :D :D

The problem is Leon all u horses will be great so it will distort the races if u trial at ascot over 1m4 , I think u can have 20 in the king George because time u get to the bend some of the lesser lights are dropping away . Look at the ascot old cup had 22 runners and it wasn't carnage in that race. I ran 18 over 1m4 that's all the ones I have to put in the race and it ran well I thought . If u run 18 of u horse Leon it would probably look messy because they are all great horses going forward in a race.

Sun May 24, 2020 10:51 am
Group 1 winner

20 is fine at Ascot and most courses, 30+ is not. There were 2 farce races this week. The race at York that had to be rerun because some horses had a jolly through the trees

And the Eclipse, which won't be rerun. Some trainers never got a look in because of where their horses landed up running. They were on the outside fence when turning!!!!

Sun May 24, 2020 11:04 am
Group 1 winner

leonvr wrote:
20 is fine at Ascot and most courses, 30+ is not. There were 2 farce races this week. The race at York that had to be rerun because some horses had a jolly through the trees

And the Eclipse, which won't be rerun. Some trainers never got a look in because of where their horses landed up running. They were on the outside fence when turning!!!!

Wheres our fantastic course builders to make York bigger , its a awful small course . :D :D

Sandown is a bit of a bugger as well , I wonder why I never use these courses to trial horses . Every race should be run at Chepstow :lol: :lol:

Some of these race courses should just be scrapped , some cant handle 10 horses.

Sun May 24, 2020 11:07 am
Group 1 winner

I didn't know 28 horses were entered for the eclipse :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well that's what happens when have a successful league , more trainers more runners.

Sun May 24, 2020 11:15 am
Group 2 winner

You can't split G1 races that would be a bit daft. You could ballot out all runners below the course limit and run them in a consolation race, possibly even making it a G3 or listed but not G1. No reason at al for handicaps not to be split though. Seems a bit unfair that everyone is more concerned with G1 s than any of the other races. The field size is a problem sometimes no matter what grade the race is.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Lordedaw wrote:
You can't split G1 races that would be a bit daft. You could ballot out all runners below the course limit and run them in a consolation race, possibly even making it a G3 or listed but not G1. No reason at al for handicaps not to be split though. Seems a bit unfair that everyone is more concerned with G1 s than any of the other races. The field size is a problem sometimes no matter what grade the race is.

DO you guys not read the posts!!!!

I'm not suggestion splitting a G1. I am suggestion creating an extra race for the horses that get balloted out a G2 or it could be a listed.

So 30 in a race . 10 get moved to a GROUP 2 or LISTED

Sun May 24, 2020 12:00 pm
Group 1 winner

Double post.... :?:

Last edited by Anadin on Sun May 24, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 24, 2020 12:17 pm
Group 1 winner

Agree with Martin, I do not know why the G1's are getting so much attention when 70% of the trainers are not at this level, should we not look into all big fields everywhere and at every grade ?

Can't just keep adding races, it is really asking a lot from the volunteers the RR's, Handicapper's & comms. just to increase the workload every week & some will have to return to normal life/work soon enough.

I think we have sufficient group races as it is, adding an extra race due to field sizes just for G1's is pretty pointless, your either good enough to be in the first 20 (one entry & ballot)

If people want to run their horses every week, then be a wise trainer and add lesser lights to your stable and compete for handicaps, obsessive breeding to achieve all G1 horses in your stable is fine, but accept you cant race them every week.

Last edited by Anadin on Sun May 24, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 24, 2020 12:17 pm
Group 1 winner

There are a few issues here.

1 - there is a game problem that Mark needs to fix where horses who run wide make no effort to get in this is actually an issue on both the NH and flat, the Welsh National this week which I ran is an example of the NH side.

2 - trainers entering horses into a G1 that really have no business being in them, I get the desire but putting a 70 rated nag into a G1 and avoiding an 0-80 is daft. But you cannot prevent it without a min rating or just cutting horses at the bottom of the handicap.

3 - narrow tracks about which we can do little.

I see a few options to the later problems, some of which have already been called out.

a - set track limits and just drop the lowest in the handicaps, trainers can either monitor the entires late on Friday or risk missing out on a race, I personally don’t see an issue here.

b - as above but augmented with the one horse per trainer rule.

c - extend the idea we did a few years back by making sure there are options, we put about 3 G1 in at 1m to line up with the UK classics so people can still get into a G1 but where there are enough to go around.

I do not like the idea of dealing with this on a week by week basis and making a side show race on the fly. It is just work for the league team who already have enough to do. Trainers need to take responsibility for their entires more, do something stupid or screw up then unlucky.

Sun May 24, 2020 12:22 pm
Group 1 winner

Anadin wrote:
Agree with Martin, I do not know why the G1's are getting so much attention when 70% of the trainers are not at this level, should we not look into all big fields everywhere and at every grade ?

Can't just keep adding races, it is really asking a lot from the volunteers the RR's, Handicapper's & comms. just to increase the workload every week & some will have to return to normal life/work soon enough.

I think we have sufficient group races as it is, adding an extra race due to field sizes just for G1's is pretty pointless, your either good enough to be in the first 20 (one entry & cap)

If people want to run their horses every week, then be a wise trainer and add lesser lights to your stable and compete for handicaps, obsessive breeding to achieve all G1 horses in your stable is fine, but accept you cant race them every week.

We will be splitting the others as stated in my post so they will be looked at and not ignored. The courses aren't designed for the level of entries. A 0-90 can be split with no issues. But you can't really split a G1 can you

Sun May 24, 2020 12:43 pm
Group 1 winner

The problem races this week were

Race 8 a 0-90 should be split

Race 21 ( im not getting into G1's )

Race 23

Race 28 0-110 ( which was split as the race was a farce of horses running through the trees and rerun )

Race 30 0-90 Southall maybe should be moved to another course like Newcastle but should be split

The courses above aren't designed for that level of entries. Maybe double entries should be removed from these races.

But from now on I think they should be split until the schedule can be balanced but that is for next season ( Not the group races that needs some sort of other decision ). It's a lot of extra work for me but better to have fairer races.

I have posted and mentioned to Mark about the horses not getting in on the bends. Maybe there will be a fix.

Sun May 24, 2020 1:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next