View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What to do about large fields in the Flat league this season 

What to do about large fields in group races. ( please note handicaps can just be split )
Poll ended at Fri May 29, 2020 10:54 am
Add 1 or 2 more races to give more options 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
Cap entries at 20 and remove excess ( double entries first ) 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
Do nothing 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

What to do about large fields in the Flat league this season 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: What to do about large fields in the Flat league this se
or just reduce the stable quota from 25 to 20 make people think about how their stable is made up

Thu May 28, 2020 8:02 pm
Group 1 winner

jalupen wrote:
or just reduce the stable quota from 25 to 20 make people think about how their stable is made up

Don't think that is needed. For example this week changing 1 of those 3 2yo 10f races to 3+ handicap, maybe 0-100, and adding a 0-100 1m4 handicap and a 10f g1 handicap would probably leave this week in good shape. It's small changes like this that would fix most of the issues.

Last week we could probably have lost 1 of the 7f races for a 10f race. Little tweaks and next season will be fine

Thu May 28, 2020 8:16 pm
Group 1 winner

jalupen wrote:

When the changes were made for double entries and adding more G1 races to stretch the stables of the Group trainers - that was done with the understanding the stable size was at the original 20 but then the stable size was raised to 25, which to me personally, defeated the purpose of the changes.

Fri May 29, 2020 3:00 am
Group 1 winner

leonvr wrote:
jalupen wrote:

Don't think that is needed. For example this week changing 1 of those 3 2yo 10f races to 3+ handicap, maybe 0-100, and adding a 0-100 1m4 handicap and a 10f g1 handicap would probably leave this week in good shape. It's small changes like this that would fix most of the issues.

Last week we could probably have lost 1 of the 7f races for a 10f race. Little tweaks and next season will be fine

All the 7f races had big fields except for the G1 & G2 race - so maybe get rid of the G2 (which had the smallest field of 7) and change that to a 10f race.

The large G1 fields have really only happened this season. Usually they have been confined to the hcps.

Fri May 29, 2020 3:09 am
Group 1 winner

leonvr wrote:

We can't sit around and do nothing and allow races like that York race from last week just to happen. There is a Kempton race this week heading into simliar territory, so something will need to be done. And making decisions with no input is no good either. The game and race kit have been improved so we should see some improvement to how the horses run.

It is not sitting around and doing nothing, it is in preparation for the following season, none of this got raised until week 6 and some trainers have a wealth of 10F horses, well they should of looked at this years schedual before uploading them for this season.

paulpot wrote:
Many more non group races would make everyone happy. Top trainers wouldn't have to deal with 20+ runner races and weaker trainers would be able to place their horses in more suitable races. I have had to place loads of low rated horses into group races because its either that or nothing. Perhaps there were fewer weak trainers in previous years so maybe it worked better but we definitely need more low-medium class races.

Yep all in favor of more handicaps, lets just drop some Group races, the schedual has always tried hard to fit all the Group races in and we can have a more fair spread, lets get rid of half the group races at Ascot, Epsom etc etc. this will now upset those who want all the group races left in :roll:

You cant just keep adding races, what happens next season when only 25 flat trainers are in the league and everything is unsubscribed and we need to do all this again.

One Entry/Max field/Ballot this is not rocket science!

P.s we are never all going to agree, it really is down to Gray at the end of the day, if he feels that the schedual needs changing this season or capping fields, One entry, minimum ratings etc. then he shall decide..... we can go round and round with what we as individuals think is good for the league, but we all have our personal motives that cloud our judgement as we are all at different levels. lower trainers want more handicaps, better trainers dont want lower trainers in their group races, the list goes on.

Last edited by Anadin on Fri May 29, 2020 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 29, 2020 8:08 am
Group 1 winner

Group races ( except group handicaps) are not going to be added there are enough. Only handicaps and possibly a maiden or too and then only a max of 2 races a week. If any races get dropped it will be group races There are some clear mistakes in the schedule like this week with 3 10f races for 2yo and 2m2 race with 2 entries where there are other places for those horses to run. The issues have been identified and it's mainaly 10f races. Adding 1 or 2 races will fix the issues. Its not the multiple entries in the group races that's the problem it's the lack of alternatives for smaller trainers over certain distances. It's clear there has been an oversite and it needs to be corrected to make the schedule more fair for everyone and not just cater for the top trainers.

Anadin wrote:

It is not sitting around and doing nothing, it is in preparation for the following season, none of this got raised until week 6 and some trainers have a wealth of 10F horses, well they should of looked at this years schedual before uploading them for this season.

I noticed the issue earlier but thought it may just be 1 week.. Week 6 made the issue more clear. And week 7 with the disaster race at York where the horses were running through the crowds showed something had to be done. This week there are issues but they all in races that can be split. So dependent on final entries that is what we will do. There may have been issues in previous seasons but I hardly entered horses in the flat league so probably didn't notice.

Fri May 29, 2020 8:18 am
Group 1 winner

leonvr wrote:
Group races ( except group handicaps) are not going to be added there are enough. Only handicaps and possibly a maiden or too and then ponly a max of 2 races a week. If any races get dropped it wil be group races. There are some clear mistakes in the schedule like this week with 3 10f races for 2yo and 2m2 race with 2 entries where there are other places for those horses to run. The issues have been identified and it's mainaly 10f races. Adding 1 or 2 races will fix the issues. Its not the multiple entries in the group races that's the problem it's the lack of alternatives for smaller trainers over certain distances. It's clear there has been an oversite and it needs to be corrected to make the schedule more fair for everyone and not just cater for the top trainers.

Anadin wrote:
leonvr wrote:

I noticed the issue earlier but thought it may just be 1 week.. Week 6 made the issue more clear. And week 7 with the disaster race at York where the horses were running through the crowds showed something had to be done. This week there are issues but they all in races that can be split. So dependent on final entries that is what we will do. There may have been issues in previous seasons but I hardly entered horses in the flat league so probably didn't notice.

Don't go asking for opinions then, if you have already decided what the league will do.

Fri May 29, 2020 8:35 am
Group 1 winner

Anadin wrote:

Don't go asking for opinions then, if you have already decided what the league will do.

WHat's that about!!! The questions have been asked and what the majority decides will be done. If you not in the majority which looks like you not there is no need to have a tantrum. I have disappeared from the site for ages before because of things like this in the past and feel no qualms about disappearing again. Only Gray managed to coax me back. Good luck running the league without me if I go.

What will be implemented is whatever the majority voted for. ANd it's also clear people don't want some of the farce races to continue

It clear its more G1 handicaps / more handicap races and a min ratings. That means when changes are made it will be what the majority wants

Fri May 29, 2020 8:45 am
Group 1 winner

leonvr wrote:
Anadin wrote:

WHat's that about!!! The questions have been asked and what the majority decides will be done. If you not in the majority which looks like you not there is no need to have a tantrum. I have disappeared from the site for ages before because of things like this in the past and feel no qualms about disappearing again. Only Gray managed to coax me back. Good luck running the league without me if I go.

What will be implemented is whatever the majority voted for. ANd it's also clear people don't want some of the farce races to continue

It clear its more G1 handicaps / more handicap races and a min ratings. That means when changes are made it will be what the majority wants

I would reply but then it appears you will take your ball and go home....

Fri May 29, 2020 8:50 am
Group 1 winner

At the end of the day we cannot make everyone happy.
We always want to race every horse in our stables each week but sometimes it wont happen.
It doesn't happen in real life and it's the same here.

To cater to every age/sex/distance/rating each week is not possible - we don't have enough races.

I think we should drop back to 20 horse flat stables next season.

Fri May 29, 2020 9:00 am
Group 1 winner

If this season only had a flat stable limit of 20 - there would be 115 horses not needing to find a race each week which would in turn take pressure off field sizes and volunteers.
It potentially would open up Group races to other trainers.

I really think we need to explore a 20 horse limit for the flat again. It appears there is no issue for hunt stable sizes.

Fri May 29, 2020 9:38 am
Group 1 winner

leonvr wrote:
Anadin wrote:

Good luck running the league without me if I go.

The league could not happen without you Leon the hard work you have put into TOM is amazing

please lads lets calm down its not worth falling out over life is too short.

Fri May 29, 2020 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2