View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Hints Tips & Walkthrough 
Group 1 winner

Post Hints Tips & Walkthrough
Well what a fantastic season we have just completed. The competition was as always crazy tough I thoroughly
enjoyed the battle with Leon and we managed to share the flat championships.

As promised a few weeks back I wanted to release some hints and tips and some things that I do that some of the
newer trainers may have never even thought of. I will be very interested if some of the veteran trainers do what
I am about to walk you through.

Firstly there are NO secrets no shortcuts or miracles on offer here but what I am about to tell you could save
you a massive amount of time that we can all waste on horses that just will never cut the mustard in the league.

I have always been open and honest about the way I have done things I have been lucky enough to be fairly successful
in the online league for many seasons now. My goal mainly has always been to help newcomers even attract new trainers
to the league. If you look at the championship tables there would not be many names on there that I have not helped or
advised in the past some more than others but I have even enjoyed seeing these people thrive even go past me (Josh John) :lol:

For me the league is all about competition dont get me wrong I enjoy winning like the next person but like winning in the
stiffest possible competition and for me thats what its all about if it was not for the other trainers spurring you on I think
I would have left the game long a go.

Anyway i'm babbling ha onto the good stuff that I hope will help some people to make the next step.

What I do at the end of the season is inspect my yearlings get rid of the rubbish (horses with low potential) you always get a
good few of these every season (Pictured below). Once i get rid of the rubbish I name the yearlings I want to keep.

As you will see pictured below you start your next season which begins on the 1st of January and you have a new batch
of UNRACED 2 year olds.

So I always skip to the 11th of January and your 2YO's are now all ready to race they all have a green square next to their name.

Now I export all of the 2 year olds to the CK remember its very important that non of these are raced before you export. If
you have no horses in the field and just the 2 Year olds you want to export in your stable you can export them all in one go
just go into one of the 2 year olds profiles hold shift down and it will export all of your horses at once. I never give jockey
instructions.

So I now go to the CK to create trials for my unraced 2 year olds you can see below I already have 2 2 year olds who are
great unraced 2 year old yardsticks these 2 horses are currently part of next seasons league team as a 3yo and a 4yo
so I know they are proper CK performers BUT remember they are exported here as unraced 2yos.

So lets set up at trial to see how your new batch does against your yardsticks for horses that will be sprinters i run
3 x 5 furlong trials - for the 2year olds that will become milers and mile 2 horses I run 3 x 5f and 3 x 6f trials
for horses that will become mile 4 horses i run 2 x 5f 2 x 6f 2 x 7f trials.

Now get a pen and paper and I use this scoring system
winner 8 points
2nd 6 points
3rd 4 points
4th 3 points
5th 2 points
& 6th 1 point

I also issue 1 bonus point for every trial a horse scores points in as you want to reward consistency so if one of
your 2 year old scores points in all 6 of the trials I give them 6 bonus points which gets added to their final score.

WARNING under no circumstances trail your unraced 2 year olds against your best exported 2 year olds the unraced
2YO's will get trounced and thats not the point of this.

Ok so this batch of 2 year olds are sprinters so I have ran a trial at Ascot over 5 furlongs and here is the result.
As you can see below the result was very exciting 5 of my new 2YO's beat my really good yardsticks the winner
looks an exceptional prospect.

you can also see that there were a few who really struggled some run green but the CK has shown you at such an
early stage who is bad who is good and who could be a league star.

So now I keep the top 2 name them in the ck unraced 2YO and you have 2 new even better yardsticks to trial against
next time round. You can even go back to the game and give the really good ones great names.

I always dump the horses that did not perform in these trials the males I sell to see if they go onto sire future gamebred
sires and the mare i put in the breeding barn as I have had rubbish CK performers produce superstars so never get rid of any
female horse.

its incredible that the horses who perform well in these trials perform well the whole way through their careers in the CK at
2 when they have has a few races and at 3 4 and 5 it also works the other way the ones who did poorly in these trails rarely
ever perform in the CK at any age and I have thoroughly tested this I can remember maybe only 2 occasions where a unraced
2yo who performed badly went on to do well in the ck as a older horse its very very rare I just dont waste time on these horses now.

I Always give a chance to horses that ran green in the trails but even these rarely go on to do any good in the CK.

So concentrate on the horses that trail well breed them at the end of their careers only keep male horses in the breeding shed that
are good CK performers.

Dont forget to keep your best yardsticks they are key if you have rubbish yardsticks it wont help you but there is nothing more exciting
then seeing your new bred trounce your yardstick.

So in one foul swoop you at such an early stage in their careers have indentified proper CK performers and more importantly identified the
rubbish so you can just keep working on the good horses.

Of course there will be a time when you will struggle to beat your yardsticks but that does not mean to say that your newcomers cant best them
in the CK at 3 4 or 5.

Well I think that covers everything this is what helped me to some success this season and I really hope it will help you to the
next stage of your career.

If you have any questions just ask would be interested to see feedback from the veterans too see if anyone else was doing this.

All the best Paul.

Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Hints Tips & Walkthrough
Good to see u back.

Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:46 am
Group 1 winner

ghosty wrote:
Good to see u back.

Thanks John much appreciated buddy

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Good to see you back Paul.

That’s an interesting idea, and agree good and bad in the ck tend to be consistent regardless of age. For those trialling every year I doubt it makes much difference but for the mass trialists it could save time. Not sure I would limit to 7f though.

Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:07 pm
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Good to see you back Paul.

That’s an interesting idea, and agree good and bad in the ck tend to be consistent regardless of age. For those trialling every year I doubt it makes much difference but for the mass trialists it could save time. Not sure I would limit to 7f though.

Hi Josh most 2 year olds are sprinters for the first month or their 2yo career even the derby/oaks types you though
can set the trials as you want class always comes to the top I know the above trick has worked a treat for me for
the first 9 or 10 months of so7 i wasted so much time on horses that were never going to be any goof this is a really
good shortcut and its really nothing to do with mass trialing because I dont mass trial I work on 1 distance at a time
and trial accordingly I like to see it more of a filtering system as I say it has worked for me I have no idea how this could
be implemented in National Hunt. Imagine trialing unraced 2yos in a 2mile hurdle hey it might even work :lol:

Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

I am not thinking of the NH but my flat game. I should be able to test the theory on longer distance horses having finally made something out of Belladona’s extended lineage and gotten another top trialling filly at 1.2 and 1.4, but I have a back up of the game where she is an unraced 2yo so I can see how she does at 7f. It would save time on mass trials and game play not to have to weed out the ck duds in multiple generations.

Will mess about with the idea but in theory it makes complete sense to me. Just got to stop playing Total War first :)

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:49 am
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
I am not thinking of the NH but my flat game. I should be able to test the theory on longer distance horses having finally made something out of Belladona’s extended lineage and gotten another top trialling filly at 1.2 and 1.4, but I have a back up of the game where she is an unraced 2yo so I can see how she does at 7f. It would save time on mass trials and game play not to have to weed out the ck duds in multiple generations.

Will mess about with the idea but in theory it makes complete sense to me. Just got to stop playing Total War first :)

Be interesting to see how you go mate remember dont race your unraced 2yo's against your exported top class 2yos they will get out
classed every time yes if you can export Belladona on Jan 11th (Unraced) she would be a perfect yardstick for you.

Just before you start you need to pay for the PJRBREEDINGGURU Gold Membership
£99.99 Per Quarter - terms and conditions apply :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

its actually cool to have come up with something that not many might have even thought of.

Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Have no idea how this will work on national hunt certainly works well for me on the flat
so going to give it a go over the sticks 2YO Bumpers to find a yardstick :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Not a fan of the theory on the hunt too much can develop re jumping and manual training for me may make the whole concept a bust

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:52 am
Group 1 winner

Been trying to improve my jumps lines and a 9 time G1 winner gets put
into a selling race wins and ends up in auction ha ha talk about luck
best 100k i ever spent

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Paul did you ever discover whether your 'shortcut' works for NHF?

I was thinking about trialling my 3yos with jump potential on the NHF and then keep the best ones on for a jumps career. Can imagine I'll miss out on a few good ones but I need to find ways to try and catch up!

Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:01 pm
Group 1 winner

HurricaneRun wrote:
Paul did you ever discover whether your 'shortcut' works for NHF?

I was thinking about trialling my 3yos with jump potential on the NHF and then keep the best ones on for a jumps career. Can imagine I'll miss out on a few good ones but I need to find ways to try and catch up!

it worked a treat for me horses that performed well in the 2yo trials went on to be my best horses
and not many who bombed in 2yo trials went on to do anything

Saved me alot of time and has helped me to improve my 2 milers in by 3 or 4 lengths in a short space
of time

I have only tried it with 2 milers as you can fill at least 12 slots in your team with the 2milers
bumper horses triumph horses hurdlers and chasers.

I'm not spending much time on the jumps side but hope that the 2 milers will at least be competitive
in group races.

The annoying thing was all my best new horses are mares not one male horse did much so I have a
strong batch of broodmares with nothing to cover them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:42 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Interesting - so even trialling unraced 2yos helped you with finding jumps horses.

I'm keeping the ones who have good jumps stats and trying them over NHF at 3yo to see if there are any hidden gems in there.

I find the same happens to me with mares, need to find a few more killer stallions!

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:13 am
Group 3 winner

I like this a lot, many thanks! It's similar but much faster than my method of running all my 2yo twice trying to run the greenness off them and then starting them on a 3yo career then testing them in the ck. Not sure how accurate it will be on the NH side but seems plausible to do it with 2yo and you have proven it works so far. Saves a hell of a lot of time not running all the dead wood.

Quote:
Have no idea how this will work on national hunt certainly works well for me on the flat
so going to give it a go over the sticks 2YO Bumpers to find a yardstick :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why not just go straight to it and run them over 2m hurdles and chases? Not all good hurdlers make chasers and vice versa.

Nice to see you back Ryan and will be nice to hear your commentaries again.

Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:41 am
Selling plater

Do I need to go to the sales every time to find good horses to begin breeding with?

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next