View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 New here! 
Group 3 winner

Post Re: New here!
dragontrainer wrote:
Lilly wrote:
I've been trialing my 2yo's at the start of the year and unraced. I saw others saying to export around August - should I be exporting and trialing then instead? Or is this just for horses you will upload to the league? What about races? Should I race my 2yo's before I trial them, or only race them before I upload to the league?

This is Pauls great 2yo ck/league starter. Unraced means they have not improved for a run so you can tell before racing if the horse will be any good in the ck before racing ( a 2yo will improve about 7lb for a run in rl). It will not improve unless it can already run well in the ck. August tends to be half way through the season and the easiest time to export your horses as long as you dont have too many injuries.
I`m going to hibernate for now!

Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:15 am
Group 1 winner

Personally I would leave the unraced 2yo thing in the locker for now, and focus on just getting a yardstick of where your horses are. You can decide if you want to use it later, it is not helpful for me personally you need to work out at some point a method that works for you.

Exporting in august is also confusing as it depends what game type to play as to where August actually is, for example in my NH game there is no August, it is during the season close period. And on my Aussie flat schedule it is basically the start of the season. So export them towards the middle or end of your season after having gotten a few races in them (and if manual training) given them enough time to recover, and if your game crosses seasons watch the age. My NH team I export at the start of the game season as they age halfway through so they have already got runs in at that age, on the Aussie flat game I go after the year rolls on as they don’t age in game until the season ends. There will be point that suits your US flat schedule I just don’t know what it is as it is not a game version I play.

Josh

Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:26 am
Selling plater

Finding a technique that you enjoy doing, rather than being 100% efficient is definitely my advice! Not that my advice counts for much :D

Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:49 am
Group 1 winner

Couple of other points, hang the jockey comments, yes there are slivers of insight there but I would again put that down until you have an established base, people use comments to mentally fill in the blanks of what a horses bars might look like. I personally hardly ever bother.

And don’t worry about having a barn full of potential donkeys at this stage.

It is pretty simple really:

Breed them
Race them in suitable races at all ages in game 3 to 4 per season.
Export them when you have had the potential gain of those races at each age
Trial them over multiple distances and ages.
Scribble down the results. Mine get an ‘x’ for a win and a ‘I’ for 2nd or 3rd, simple
Take the results back to the barn and refine your breeding stock, keep anything that has had a hand in a trial success, bin the utter garbage unless it has a likeable characteristic, speed etc.
Rinse and repeat.

Don’t get too lost in the science just yet. Whatever your best horses look like get them into the upload window for this league as this will also really help you work out what lines are worth keeping and what lines not. Expect that if you can win one race of any grade you just won the lottery.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:56 am
Group 1 winner

One qualification, jockey comments are useful in working out why a horse ran badly, needs more distance, not genuine, sweated up badly on the way to the start etc, but they don’t help you work out what horses will trial well and in breeding it is a best educated guess work. Breed, race, trial.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:06 am
Group 1 winner

Also since I am on a bit of a roll. Don’t worry about race style good enough is good enough. But it is worth trying to have lines that have different styles.

And since you have a large stock of breeding mare, 250 is more than I have on the flat but less than my jump game, you need a method of filtering that speeds it up, potential is the easiest to start with, sell or stud anything that does not have more that 60% realised potential at 2yo and say 75% unrealised. You can adjust this as things improve through refinement of your breeding stock. If you really like the look of one keep it but use that as your standard and then adjust based on your experience of what your lines actually do. And also reflect against your best at distance, so if your best 2m line only has 65% unrealised potential keep them but recognise you need to work on that line.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:45 am
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Also since I am on a bit of a roll. Don’t worry about race style good enough is good enough. But it is worth trying to have lines that have different styles.

And since you have a large stock of breeding mare, 250 is more than I have on the flat but less than my jump game, you need a method of filtering that speeds it up, potential is the easiest to start with, sell or stud anything that does not have more that 60% realised potential at 2yo and say 75% unrealised. You can adjust this as things improve through refinement of your breeding stock. If you really like the look of one keep it but use that as your standard and then adjust based on your experience of what your lines actually do. And also reflect against your best at distance, so if your best 2m line only has 65% unrealised potential keep them but recognise you need to work on that line.

What u have 250 jump mares :shock: I like around 40 or 50, my main game has about 60 and that's more than enough for me.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:54 pm
Group 1 winner

Me no not 250, last I checked I have 403 mares in my NH barn, 150 on the flat.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:48 pm
Group 3 winner

I have roughly 300+ mares and I check every season the older ones to see if they ever produced anything. If not then goodbye/retire the rest stay and keep on going with even more mares added each year. I like looking at around 350 yearlings, culling about 150 due to low potential and then trialling the rest, it`s like christmas every time!

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:33 am
Group 1 winner

All those new horses each year. Exporting them is such an ordeal.

Is there by chance a way to export multiple horses at one time?

Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:30 am
Selling plater

Holding <shift> when you export will export all your horses in training

Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:48 am
Selling plater

Thank you all so much for the information, especially you Githyanki! You hit me with a heap of useful stuff. Sadly I never exported the colt that trials really well as a raced 2yo (only unraced) and he's now 4 so I might not be entering him after all.

So let me just confirm... I cull all of the terrible yearlings (or 2yo's) and keep EVERYTHING else for about 6-12 months. Get them all raced, and THEN export and trial them? I am so glad I asked or I would have been uploading unraced horses to the league :lol:

Also thank you Sirius for the tip! I removed the border and much prefer it.

Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:06 am
Group 2 winner

basilthedog89 wrote:
Finding a technique that you enjoy doing, rather than being 100% efficient is definitely my advice! Not that my advice counts for much :D

This 100%

Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:42 pm
Group 1 winner

Pretty much that Lilly, you need to have them raced before you export, and you can keep them and keep racing and exporting each year for as long as they show promise. The ck trial is then the key decider in what should go into your league team.

Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:46 pm
Group 1 winner

The unraced 2yo method is an idea used by one of the league top flat trainers, it is not about getting horses ready for the league but designed to make the process of trials quicker. It is derived from the fact that the way horses race in the game and in the ck can be different, sometimes vastly different, but that good in the ck tends to be consistent (this part I personally don’t agree with and hence why I do not use it) but basically you do the following:

Export Un-raced 2yo horses
Trial them and make note of which ones are good
Delete the exports
Go back to the game and keep and race the ones that looked good un-raced
Export again later in their 2yo season when they have gotten the potential gain etc

The advantage in this is in theory that you don’t waste time training racing and trialing horses who are trial duds. But I have far too many horses who are only good at 3 or 4 etc to risk it all on a 2yo trial. So whilst it is an interesting idea it is not one that works for me. This underlines the find your own method and stick with it point, it might be something that works for you and something to consider later, but I would get a line in the sand first. There is no denying it works for Paul.

Josh

Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4