View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Titles 

Should league titles be based on wins or money?
Poll ended at Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:12 am
Wins 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
Money 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
Shared 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 19

Titles 
Group 1 winner

Post Titles
Poll to raise the question on title, it has been wins in my time but with returning trainers from when it was money figured it was worth raising.

Last edited by Githyanki on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:12 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Titles
You need to add an option for shared.

Win if you win both. Shared if you win wins but dont win prize money etc

Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:23 am
Group 1 winner

The disadvantage of wins is that big trainers start putting their horses in races meant for smaller trainers instead of races with big prize money. Shared is best as you need to keep an eye on both wins and prize money. To win outright you will need to win both

Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:27 am
Group 1 winner

We need a shared option

Wins is bad because

1. Big trainers hunt wins in races designed for small trainers. SO you start finding top trainers in hunter chasers etc

2. Trainers fiddle handicap marks to get more wins. Which has always led to unpleastness in the league

3. The above 2 are not good for the league at all and outweigh any disadavantage that prize money has

I still maintain it should be shared and it's pointless having this poll if that is not an option

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 am
Group 2 winner

I'd say a shared option needed as there are flaws for both wins, and prize money. as Leon mentioned there, wins can be flawed, but prize money I feel like you could just target the Everest an World Cup and it's basically over as anything winning them will pick up more than enough in other dirt 1m2 an other sprint races, were as you could pick up nearly all the classics an still not get near

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:15 am
Group 1 winner

We try to make this league a simulation of real life racing with the schedules, the commentaries, the betting etc. And in real life racing, the championships are decided on prize money alone. Jockey title yes, that goes on wins and for that reason you see De Sousa jetting off all over the place to collect wins on the AW evening meetings as well as at all of the main turf meets as well. Trainers like Gosden, O'Brien, Henderson, Mullins etc all go for the big prize money as that is what decides a top trainer.

So i'll vote on that but also say that at the very least, if wins are factored in that should be to share a title. Or have two, one for most wins and one for most prize money, with an undisputed title if someone wins both. I'm new to the league again after so many years away so not sure how it was decided last season but my belief was that it was shared on flat and won outright by Leon in the NH?

If we wanted to change that approach for the new season it should have been done before week one, as having a vote on it after week one - and coincidentally a week where Leon has rinsed Dubai and taken a huge early lead - feels a little unfair.

Last edited by HurricaneRun on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:16 am
Group 1 winner

Vinny if that's the case we should probably look at the prize money available across the races and make it less 'severe' and imbalanced?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 am
Group 2 winner

HurricaneRun wrote:
Vinny if that's the case we should probably look at the prize money available across the races and make it less 'severe' and imbalanced?

As far as I can see the prize money is reflective of real life, which is good. The difference here is all the trainers enter all the races, or have access to. In real life we wouldn't all be able to enter the World Cup, Everest, Breeders Cup, Japan Cup etc. Most trainers over here are limited to UK and France, Being able to enter all these really rich races makes it slightly different to real life racing I think. So the decision would need to be based on SO version, not really real life.

That said, I do think the shared option is definitely best, last season Paul an Leon definitely deserved to share it, so the 3 tier one, wins, money, and an overall if you take both seems fair to me

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:37 am
Group 1 winner

Updated to include the third option.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:44 am
Group 3 winner

I think prizemoney is good over jumps because there's no massive pot like the Melbourne Cup and that on the flat. As I come from someone that's never cared about these champs I think wins is best on the flat.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:03 pm
Group 1 winner

well played Josh

Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:09 pm
Group 1 winner

ghosty wrote:
I think prizemoney is good over jumps because there's no massive pot like the Melbourne Cup and that on the flat. As I come from someone that's never cared about these champs I think wins is best on the flat.

There was a huge row over this when I was president the argument was all you need is a decent Dubai
and you are crowned champion trainer in the first 2 weeks of the season there are a few more big money
races now but its still pretty much the same

The only fair thing is to make every G1 worth the same amount of money if you go with £PM

I'm for rewarding consistency at the highest level but not when some Gr1s are worth 25 times some others

Shared probably the lowest maintenance option and the fairest really plus opportunity for a few people to win
1 of each if same person wins both there is no argument anyway

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

Paul I remember, Andy and Keith :lol: Andy won all the races but Keith plotted and won the title. I don't get it why people want to win them. Perhaps it's just me :D

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:25 pm
Group 1 winner

ghosty wrote:
Paul I remember, Andy and Keith :lol: Andy won all the races but Keith plotted and won the title. I don't get it why people want to win them. Perhaps it's just me :D

Oh man was one hooley of a row it went on and on and on he won it in the last week winning the Melbourne Cup
Bearing in mind Andy won 80% of the other Gr1s and was the most dominant force by a long way in league history
shows how flawed crowning By £PM is

As I say best to share it I can easily update the dcc in fact i Already cover both there anyway just need to rename a few things

UKRA Champion Trainer By Wins
UKRA Champion Trainer By £PM
NHC Champion Trainer By Wins
NHC Champion Trainer By £PM

But lets see how the poll goes first

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

I think we need just one champ winner. Perhaps a points champ between the two.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next