View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Placing Horses In Races 
Handicapper

Post Placing Horses In Races
When I was entering my horses this week I noticed quite a few horses entered into maiden races that had very low handicap marks from week 1.

I know that every trainer has the right to enter his\her horses in any race they are eligible for but in many cases there were more suitable lower level h'cap races available where the horse stood a better chance of doing well.

Sometimes there are good reasons for entering a low rated horse in a specific race, I do it myself, usually because the horse has had a shockingly poor race in week 1 and you know it can do better.

I don't want to name names but some of the trainers names were new to me and some were trainers who had been around the league for a season or two.

I don't know any good way to educate trainers about placing horses except to put up this general message.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:52 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Placing Horses In Races
I've got a terrible low rated horse in a maiden this week but I researched all the options available to him and the maiden was the best choice. He trials well for the race so there is some hope in my mind but realistically he has no chance. I like the action but I also scratch my head over other trainers choice of races when I think if it where my horse they'd be going in that much easier handicap. In the end I just move on.

On another note for the handicapper- I hate doing this because I know better than most the rigors of handicapping a billon horses each week as the handicapper. This is just a minor complaint and I can live with it - I have a returning horse Single Girl who is god awful. She ended last year with a rating of 60. She started this year with a 75 rating and after the first week now has an 80 rating after yet another bad race in a maiden. She should be a 50-60ish rated horse. I'm guessing she wasn't given her actual return rating by mistake. I'm asking for a new rating please if at all possible. Thanks.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:12 am
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
I've got a terrible low rated horse in a maiden this week but I researched all the options available to him and the maiden was the best choice. He trials well for the race so there is some hope in my mind but realistically he has no chance. I like the action but I also scratch my head over other trainers choice of races when I think if it where my horse they'd be going in that much easier handicap. In the end I just move on.

On another note for the handicapper- I hate doing this because I know better than most the rigors of handicapping a billon horses each week as the handicapper. This is just a minor complaint and I can live with it - I have a returning horse Single Girl who is god awful. She ended last year with a rating of 60. She started this year with a 75 rating and after the first week now has an 80 rating after yet another bad race in a maiden. She should be a 50-60ish rated horse. I'm guessing she wasn't given her actual return rating by mistake. I'm asking for a new rating please if at all possible. Thanks.

Hi Sirius.
I'm not doing the handicapping because of the hard lock down we are in, in South Australia but from what I believe (and I could be wrong) is that the maiden races have been handicapped by the race kit and that the Group and Listed races for the first two weeks were going to be handicapped manually.

Doug.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:58 am
Group 3 winner

Maiden races are open for all who have not won a race, at least you don't have to take the winner on again
Maiden races are for horses who have not won. At least you don't have to take the winner on again! Oh I repeat! Boy do I want to swear now. Stuff handicaps, not interested.

I don't want to name names but some of the trainers names were new to me and some were trainers who had been around the league for a season or two.

Do it!

Then we can have our say as to why we have entered our horses so highly.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:52 am
Group 1 winner

Personally and I do this on both codes if I see a race I can win, regardless of what that race is I’ll be all over it. I’ll take an 0-90 win over a 9th in a group race all day long.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:27 am
Handicapper

dragontrainer wrote:
Maiden races are open for all who have not won a race, at least you don't have to take the winner on again
Maiden races are for horses who have not won. At least you don't have to take the winner on again! Oh I repeat! Boy do I want to swear now. Stuff handicaps, not interested.

Do it!

Then we can have our say as to why we have entered our horses so highly.

As I said in the original post

Every trainer has the right to enter their horses in any race they choose.

If you don't want to run your horses in h'caps, that's your perogative.

This post was not aimed at long term trainers who know what they are doing but at those who have only been around a season or two and could possibly benefit from looking at the various different races available to them.

Sometimes as Sirius said in his post, the options for a horse at a certain distance are limited and the only race available is not always the optimum race for that horse. I have horses entered into races this week that they have no chance of winning, I just like to see my horses running in a race.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:08 am
Group 1 winner

Sorry if any horse is rated Higher than it Finished Last season and ran in a maiden. I did the flat handicapping this week due to the Handicapper not being able to do it and i had to do them Late Wednesday night and took me to 4am Thursday Morning only took horses ratings from last season in the group races into consideration i didn't check every ratings in Maiden races a mistake on my part but I had to rush it due to doing 39Races so the guys could enter horse's into races.

Gray

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:

Sorry for that Sirius my Mistake your horse is back on 60.

Gray

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Thanks for the effort mate, that cannot have been much fun. Hopefully the race kit will sort this going forward and on the plus side there is no one to be moaned at :)

Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:08 pm
Group 1 winner

Thanks Gray.

NPG319 wrote:

Hi Sirius.
I'm not doing the handicapping because of the hard lock down we are in, in South Australia but from what I believe (and I could be wrong) is that the maiden races have been handicapped by the race kit and that the Group and Listed races for the first two weeks were going to be handicapped manually.

Doug.

Quote:
‘Lie’ Told By Pizza Worker Led To One Of Australia’s Harshest COVID-19 Lockdowns Yet

Doug, are you anxious to get in line to punch this guy in the gut? I believe that's your area.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pizza-worker-lie-shuts-down-australian-state_n_5fb8db2bc5b6cd86dfbdcdf9

Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:18 am
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
Thanks Gray.

NPG319 wrote:

Hi Sirius.

Doug.

Quote:
‘Lie’ Told By Pizza Worker Led To One Of Australia’s Harshest COVID-19 Lockdowns Yet

Doug, are you anxious to get in line to punch this guy in the gut? I believe that's your area.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pizza-worker-lie-shuts-down-australian-state_n_5fb8db2bc5b6cd86dfbdcdf9

Hahaha - yeah, that pizza shop is on the same road that my shop is on :-)
To be honest, I enjoyed the three days off and am a little disappointed it didn't go the full six days.....I could do with the time off lol
Anyway there is more to this story from the mail I have received from people in the know, is that they weren't delivering 'just pizza' and that is the reason he lied and is the reason a shed load of cops have been assigned to the case.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:00 am
Group 1 winner

Quote:

Gray

I hate being a pain in the butt but Single Girl still ran as the top weight with a rating of 80 this week and is now rated 78. Can this be sorted please?

Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:56 am
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
Quote:

Gray

I hate being a pain in the butt but Single Girl still ran as the top weight with a rating of 80 this week and is now rated 78. Can this be sorted please?

Bump. Can I get this done before entries close this week please? Thanks.

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:56 pm
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
SiriusChill wrote:
Quote:

Gray

Bump. Can I get this done before entries close this week please? Thanks.

Hi Sirius I have changed this in the database. The race runner of the race its in or Gray will need to change the horse file

Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:16 am
Group 1 winner

What race is it in ?

Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next