View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Breeding for the league?! 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Breeding for the league?!
Letting ai breed with your horses is essential. I have stated this ages ago. I have 5 horses I bought from the ai in my league team. And they all running well in the league

Any horse below 50% potential at 2 I retire. Don't want them in the pool of horses

Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:05 pm
Handicapper

Githyanki wrote:
As to the final point no it does not really matter how the horse develops through racing in respect of breeding, least I have never found it does, just as age does not matter and 20yo who was good and now looks terrible will still breed the good. So if you know the horse is not one you want to keep but do want to breed it, just dump it in the barn as a 2yo.

All of your posts have been helpful, but this one particularly so. It will save me time trying to fully develop every filly before putting her in the breeding barn.

Thanks for info on jumpers. Very helpful again. How about the jumping bar? should it be at a certain level as a 2yo for me to want to develop?

The good news about dumping rubbish into auctions for $, is when I look at the through their sire or Dam's offspring page, most tend to just be "expired" from the game pretty quickly, or at least before breeding themselves. But yes, we are in agreement to just retire them instead of tossing them into AI DNA pool.

I want good fillies and will discard ones with no confidence or no finish etc., but I too focus on the colts that become studs. That is where the real success can come from, it seems.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:18 pm
Handicapper

leonvr wrote:
Letting ai breed with your horses is essential. I have stated this ages ago. I have 5 horses I bought from the ai in my league team. And they all running well in the league

Any horse below 50% potential at 2 I retire. Don't want them in the pool of horses

Thank you sir. Sounds like a good policy to implement now that my $ troubles are settled.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 pm
Handicapper

I can't wait until this season end so I can at least get some actual CK horses out there racing and at least be competitive.
This is painful.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:01 pm
Group 1 winner

I am more brutal than Leon it seems, I ditch anything with an unrealised potential of less than 80% and a realised potential of 55-60%.

I really don’t check jumping ability, my NH game is so established now I know they are good enough off the bat and manual training means they will spend several years being schooled.

I will check my game later as I have just done some breeding and see what the 2yo’s look like, and let you know.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:15 pm
Group 1 winner

NealMac wrote:
Githyanki wrote:
As to the final point no it does not really matter how the horse develops through racing in respect of breeding, least I have never found it does, just as age does not matter and 20yo who was good and now looks terrible will still breed the good. So if you know the horse is not one you want to keep but do want to breed it, just dump it in the barn as a 2yo.

All of your posts have been helpful, but this one particularly so. It will save me time trying to fully develop every filly before putting her in the breeding barn.

Thanks for info on jumpers. Very helpful again. How about the jumping bar? should it be at a certain level as a 2yo for me to want to develop?

The good news about dumping rubbish into auctions for $, is when I look at the through their sire or Dam's offspring page, most tend to just be "expired" from the game pretty quickly, or at least before breeding themselves. But yes, we are in agreement to just retire them instead of tossing them into AI DNA pool.

I want good fillies and will discard ones with no confidence or no finish etc., but I too focus on the colts that become studs. That is where the real success can come from, it seems.

I dont know how many seasons into u game but i wouldn't trial until after 20 seasons and u only get a decent breeding barn after about 40, im just over 40 seasons into my game and i can start to bred some decent horses . This game takes time to build u barn. U need to start with finding a horse with either good/very good potential or speed bar. I'd say buy all the horses that come up for sale in mares sales. That is where u find the best mares.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:28 pm
Group 1 winner

Have checked my 2yo jumpers I am seeing nothing special at all, some have 0% at 2yo. Generally once trained this seems to range from 50-80%. What I cannot tell you is if an non manual training game plays out the same way. Most of my chasers are Good jumping and most of my hurdlers are average. This is a hard thing to change even with manual training.

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:13 am
Group 1 winner

No point looking at 2yo stats for NH horses. I trial them at 5. If they dont trial well at 5 they never seem to do. So you can do a cull then if need be. Put a note (N on the keyboard) on them or send them to the field if they don't shape well on the flat

I keep 50% potential and above at 2 as some of those can get to 100 by age 7 or 8

Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:47 pm
Handicapper

What are the thoughts of using a 3yo G1 winner to sire at the end of year 3? I know it CAN be done, but I wonder if there is a penalty to the foal for doing so.
I don't do it with fillies, but I figure it might be ok with a colt.

Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:03 am
Group 2 winner

As far as I'm aware you can do it with both, not sure there's any penalty. I have sent a mare to breed at the end of a season an brought her back to race the next season

Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:54 am
Group 1 winner

Yes you can do this without issue so colts can go into the barn to breed and them come back out to race mid season or multiple times a season the only annoyance is they go to the bottom of the list of horses and are not filtered by age.

One thing to be aware of don’t retire a horse from the game after having breed it but before the foals come through, they will disappear with the horse.

Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:02 pm
Handicapper

Thanks guys.
I had set a rule not to breed 3 yo fillies because they seem to young to do so, but I messed up and bred 2 of them last season and both had trash foals, so I thought there might be a genetic penalty (as well as it being iffy ethically or morally?) to breed 3 yo's.
I guess it might have just been roll of the die.

Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:37 pm
Group 1 winner

I breed 2yo’s all the time and have done for years. It makes no difference 2 or 20 you get a version of the horse they could be subject to the randomness of breeding.

Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:15 am
Handicapper

Githyanki wrote:
I breed 2yo’s all the time and have done for years. It makes no difference 2 or 20 you get a version of the horse they could be subject to the randomness of breeding.

Eeks! :shock:

So the 3 year old "stud" turned out some good foals, so there doesn't seem to be an in game problem with it.
Thanks for the help.

Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:48 pm
Group 1 winner

The only breeding thing to watch is inbreeding, it can produce decent horses but normally it is something that does not take needs repeating and usually produces one of those 10/20% potential failures.

Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next