View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Breeding for the league?! 
Selling plater

Post Breeding for the league?!
Hi chaps!

I’m not looking for all the trade secrets but just need pointing in the right direction…

It seems that most of my better CK horses are useless in the game and horses with really good stats and group wins in the game disappoint in the CK!? So how do you know what to breed with?? I might have an ordinary looking game horse with average stats and struggles to win a listed race who will hose up in CK trials. Do I breed from him? Or do I breed from the game horse with top stats and group wins but who is useless in trials?

On another point, at the moment I’m 35 seasons into my latest game, from which all of my league horses have come from. Do you guys think getting one game established and then starting a few others and comparing form in the CK trials is the best way to identify the strongest game to keep running? Or is it just pure luck which games throw up stars? And if you stick with one game for long enough you eventually hit on a few good horses?

Cheers!

Steve

Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:46 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Breeding for the league?!
dangersteve wrote:
Hi chaps!

I’m not looking for all the trade secrets but just need pointing in the right direction…

It seems that most of my better CK horses are useless in the game and horses with really good stats and group wins in the game disappoint in the CK!? So how do you know what to breed with?? I might have an ordinary looking game horse with average stats and struggles to win a listed race who will hose up in CK trials. Do I breed from him? Or do I breed from the game horse with top stats and group wins but who is useless in trials?

On another point, at the moment I’m 35 seasons into my latest game, from which all of my league horses have come from. Do you guys think getting one game established and then starting a few others and comparing form in the CK trials is the best way to identify the strongest game to keep running? Or is it just pure luck which games throw up stars? And if you stick with one game for long enough you eventually hit on a few good horses?

Cheers!

Steve

Ignore game form and breed with horses based on CK form.
Best to stick with one game as every time you start a new game you're starting from scratch.

Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:52 pm
Group 3 winner

I don't think there are any trade secrets because we all breed differently. I like to think of it as making a cake, get all the ingredients from the computer and put them all together to try to find the best cake. Years ago when I had the time( was single :lol: ) and would have a full team I would break the game into many different games and that is what I thought was best but now I have less time I'm just playing 1 single game and I think in the future if having the time i'd breed better horses than years ago. I would say to newer players not to keep going back to the beginning because every game will have the same stuff but the first 10 to 20 years of the game is very important I think. If a horse has something I like i'll bring him along even if they are poor in CK, i've got a full potential 4yo desert lord who is very poor in ck might be able to add something to my gene pool later in the game. I'm sure other people would throw him away. We all do things differently, but end up at the same place.

Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:55 pm
Group 1 winner

Trial every season and breed with teh best in the ck.

You can breed with a monster horse in game that finishes many lengths behind your others. However only breed this with a good ck horses else you will go backwards. All my group 1 sprinting lines came mainly from a mare who never won a race in my game

Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:52 pm
Group 1 winner

dangersteve wrote:
Hi chaps!

Cheers!

Steve

See Steve, Leon and Davy go by the Ck and im slightly different . If a stallion dominates one of my trials but i dont like his running style then he'll get a lot less mares in my breeding barn . I like my stallions to have a certain style of running, if they weren't front runners over jumps then they went in the bin and i didn't care how good they were :lol:

Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:14 pm
Handicapper

What is CK? (Never mind = construction kit.)

Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:31 pm
Selling plater

Ok, so stick to the one game basically and breed at least one good CK horse with something with good stats or stats your trying to introduce into the bloodlines..

I do have a homebred that has amazing stats, has just about scrapped a G1 in the game but is useless in the CK, I want to try and get those stats bred into some future CK horses. How long would something like that take? A few seasons or much longer?

Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:04 pm
Group 1 winner

dangersteve wrote:
Ok, so stick to the one game basically and breed at least one good CK horse with something with good stats or stats your trying to introduce into the bloodlines..

I do have a homebred that has amazing stats, has just about scrapped a G1 in the game but is useless in the CK, I want to try and get those stats bred into some future CK horses. How long would something like that take? A few seasons or much longer?

I think it could happen at any time in my book. It might happen 1 go or it could take a long time , u never know with this game. :D I think its trial and error and working out what works for u. Good Luck :D

Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:58 pm
Handicapper

It really shouldn't be this way.
There shouldn't be magical CK dust that is sprinkled on the horses. If a horse can run a 1m dirt race in 1:39:01 it should not get trounced off the back in a 1m dirt Online league race run in a slower 1:39:99.

The way it should be is that the breeders online will have whittled their winning times down to 1:38:70 or something, so your 1:39:01 horse probably cannot beat them, but won't finish 5 seconds behind the pack.

How a horse can run should not change, only the level of competition should change because of the owners breeding success over a long term period.

Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:08 pm
Group 1 winner

NealMac wrote:
It really shouldn't be this way.
There shouldn't be magical CK dust that is sprinkled on the horses. If a horse can run a 1m dirt race in 1:39:01 it should not get trounced off the back in a 1m dirt Online league race run in a slower 1:39:99.

The way it should be is that the breeders online will have whittled their winning times down to 1:38:70 or something, so your 1:39:01 horse probably cannot beat them, but won't finish 5 seconds behind the pack.

How a horse can run should not change, only the level of competition should change because of the owners breeding success over a long term period.

U cant compare horse times in game to CK because races are always run at a good pace in the game, more front runners and sadly there is a massive flaw in the CK where 2 or 3 horses will always run well below( stupidly) par and thats why i always run my CK rcaes with 2 or 3 crap horses that finish tailed of last.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:04 am
Group 1 winner

Time, luck and more time add some time and sprinkle on a little extra time.

Game form is meaningless, trial form is everything, there are hidden stats that can only be discovered at trial so get used to game monsters being a disappointment and average horses being the foundation of league success. I don’t even play the game as such I just breed push them through a fixed amount of races without any interest in the results and get them to trial.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:31 am
Group 1 winner

There are also advantages in the game you play, so I have four league games running a U.K. NH, an Irish combined a US flat and an Australian flat. But if you can only play one. Play a U.K. combined game.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:38 am
Group 1 winner

You can get good stats from a bad trial horse into a successful trial line it is just that as often as not the bad hidden stats come with them. So more time and luck. And they are not machines they run differently, factors likes confidence and consistency come into play in addition to run styles. Some like big fields fast pace slow pace etc etc etc. You have to puzzle it all out. And there are some visual indicators to tell which are flat types and which are jump. It is not an exact science but oddly the game will create these horses regardless of whether or not your game can use them.

Time luck and ok maybe a little bit of applied learning as it always upsets people when I use the word luck.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:54 am
Handicapper

Githyanki wrote:
Time, luck and more time add some time and sprinkle on a little extra time.

Game form is meaningless, trial form is everything, there are hidden stats that can only be discovered at trial so get used to game monsters being a disappointment and average horses being the foundation of league success. I don’t even play the game as such I just breed push them through a fixed amount of races without any interest in the results and get them to trial.

See, this is exactly what I am running into right now mentally: What does it matter in my offline portion if great horses run like s**t?!?!?! Just get them races to develop and then run trials in august or something, before their legs start to go tired, and be done with it all?
I hate to beat a dead horse, but it really shouldn't be this way, but I guess we have to do what we have to do.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:49 pm
Group 1 winner

There are plenty of players who enjoy the game for the game, I just don't have anything left to achieve. Playing other people is the draw for me personally.

And I won't say too much about exports since I am a manual trainer and some my process is very different, but I do all mine at the start of the season before they have raced, subject to when the schedule ages them.

Josh

Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next