View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Disaster 
Selling plater

Post Disaster
While exporting a horse for the upload window my SO7 crashed. When I went to the CK, to my horror, ALL of my export files, groups etc. were gone! I now have a total of 7 horses in my CK pool. I'm pretty sure this in unrecoverable, but I thought I'd ask here just in case anyone has seen this happen before? I worked in IT for over 30 years so not having a backup is my own stupid fault (I have backed up my saved games but this does not save the CK pools).

At least both of my saved games (NH and Flat) are fine so I can generate new horses, but my trials will be badly compromised. I had about 20 decent NH runners ready to add, but this will likely be only a handful now due to time constraints. I'll probably just add whatever I can generate this week to try to keep the league NH numbers up.

Best of luck to everyone for the rest of the season!

Padraig

Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:07 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Disaster
There should be a backup, a .bak file which you can copy, paste and rename the extension

Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:08 pm
Group 1 winner

Have a look in Documents/StartersOrders7/saves for a hdb_youremail.bak file. If it's there rename the .bak extension to .db

Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:17 pm
Selling plater

Many MANY thanks! Restored backup file which was from Saturday. Back in business! :-)

Any idea how often that backup gets taken?

Thanks again to both of you!

Padraig

Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:47 pm
Group 1 winner

Cannot speak for everyone but I have experienced this also and lost some horses on occasion. I now back up the whole so7 folder after every season and keep 2 or three incremental backups. I back up my export files after every export and check the file is populated before I export. I also usually keep dual copies of the backups. Once bitten twice shy :)

Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:46 pm
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Cannot speak for everyone but I have experienced this also and lost some horses on occasion. I now back up the whole so7 folder after every season and keep 2 or three incremental backups. I back up my export files after every export and check the file is populated before I export. I also usually keep dual copies of the backups. Once bitten twice shy :)

This is good practice. I copy all my save files except the replay files into date named files once the new 2yo enter the stable.

I have found when I have been using the ck to trial then back out and open a game it very often crashes and the .db file is then empty. Now after using the ck I close the program to avoid this happening until I forget. Fortunately the .bak file is still there so I copy this to the desktop and rename .db then replace the null file in the save folder.

Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]