View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hunter Chases 
Group 1 winner

Post Hunter Chases
Can we get these knocked back down to 100 and see the numbers and maybe raise again if required, having top trainers in these is against what they were designed for.
Thanks
Stu

Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:57 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Hunter Chases
Anadin wrote:
Can we get these knocked back down to 100 and see the numbers and maybe raise again if required, having top trainers in these is against what they were designed for.
Thanks
Stu

I don't want to start a big argument here, but whether you are considered a top, middle or lower tier trainer shouldn't bar you from entering a race, what should determine entering races is the horses h'cap.

I don't know who the NH handicapper is this season and since I missed almost two seasons of racing I am not sure if a new handicapping policy was adopted since last I entered the league but my four horses that won races in week 1 were all handicapped between 120 and 130. In the past I am sure they were handicapped between 140 and 155, but my memory may be at fault here.

Because the winning horses are given these lower handicaps, it follows that horses finishing in 6th place and downwards, outside the prize money are rated lower. I think another thing is sometimes a horse just has a shocker in week 1 and ends up on a false handicap for it's ability.

Therefore, if I am correct with winning horses being rated lower, Hunter Chases should maybe be set to 100 in the first few weeks and then field size can determine if the limit needs to be adjusted.

Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:28 pm
Group 1 winner

That’s the essence of it, new handicapper I think it is Alex, lower than normal week one handicaps which is not wrong by the way, but the schedule was set for winning horses to go to 140+ as they used too. I have ‘The Shepard’ running in one this week as she had a bad first run and I rate her at g1 level.

One of two solutions adjust the rating to 90 or 100 for the first couple or weeks or rely on people who know they should not be in them to stay out of them. The former is work I doubt anyone has time for the later relies on trainers. I shall stay out of them from now on unless running over the wrong discipline.

Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:58 pm
Group 1 winner

I do not think it is difficult to drop the band again, as it was quick enough to go to 110 at tail end of last season :lol:

As I wrote, lets go back to 100 and see field sizes then if poor, knock up to 105 etc.

Handicapping for the league is so much more than just finding the median of each race and adding and dropping marks in card finish order especially in the opening weeks, our schedule is pretty original and tailored for plenty of opportunity's for the lower trainer to gain wins and has worked well past couple of seasons with a tweak here and there.

The handicapping is a thankless task and I admire anyone that takes it on.

Yes, Sutherland KEEP OUT :lol: :lol:

Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:55 am
Group 1 winner

A reasonable turn out in the 0-100 Hunter's last week, so can we get them changed for week 4 to 100 before everyone goes entering in them at 110
Thanks

Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]