View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 To Bar or Not to Bar 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: To Bar or Not to Bar
A horse who makes full by 7yo will as a 1/2yo normally have around 85% unrealised, I have a few who do this in my main NH game but I have mostly bred this out, not deliberately I might add. Will post some full potential breeding 3yo’s in a mo. And a 1yo if my game is kind enough to deliver my one.

Last edited by Githyanki on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:49 pm
Group 1 winner

Also note peak at 7 will be in full decline at 9, some rare exceptions. Peak at 8 either 9 or 10. You have to be mindful of the decline for your 9yo export as it starts in anger quickly after the new year.

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:06 pm
Group 1 winner

OK these are my building blocks from my new NH game. Season 12 still plenty to iron out but the basics are in place.

First three are my main breeding horses, all have potential, definate 100% maybe at 7yo with desirable speed, cruise and associated trimmings, but they are all still slightly flawed. There is one more, basically the same, again doing enthusiam.

This a breeder to improve my mare stock, the above horses deliver potential to his offspring so he does not have to. His colts are binned as 2yo's, he just needs to add enthusiam, finish and consistency into mares without it to improve the stock.

This is an aspirational long term cruise breeder, its a mess right now, hopefully the first tier of breeding will get me good enough fillies to make up for his shortcomings and hang onto this cruise.

This is the bare min I would want for a horse to make 100% at peak.

This one will not make it, the reaslised potential is too low, as the name suggests he is just in to be used to play through in game, won't export either.

This is a horse that might peak at 7yo and breed the same, reaslised potential will never make it however.

And this is a potential monster. Still don't like his build and ground preference but otherwise looks the part. My game was kind enough to just give him to me, the only sucess from around 80 attempts.

And thanks to John you no longer have to hit the links.

Josh

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:44 pm
Handicapper

Githyanki wrote:
Yep. It will move when he is 7, but at best you will get 85-90% maybe one or two percent over 90 unrealised and 70-75% realised. Easier for me to tell from the 2yo version or the yearling.

This said there are some that age a little differently but the potential stop period is usually the same, his line will do much the same. I barely look at my horses after the original filter until they are 6. I cull at 7 as you will know then if they are going to make it, or rather have a chance too, some never do.

The simple rule of thumb for horses to make 100% is as a 2yo. 80% unrealised and 60% realised, really 65% to be sure, but the 60’s sometimes make it. Anything lower than will miss, least from my experience.

Still didn't move at 7yo.

All the stuff you mention I get from my combined save but this horse is from a NH only save which is strange.

Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:25 pm
Group 1 winner

Some don’t move, keep it until nine as it remains possible you have something different, but my guess now will be he has already peaked may or may not add around 10% at 8 and then decline. It’s a bum line on potential but there are likeable qualities in there so want to try and breed on.

Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:43 pm
Group 1 winner

I have a monster gamebred beating everything at 13 in my new game, I am very interested to see what he looks like in stud when he retires, and if he goes to stud.

Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:45 pm
Group 1 winner

I have only dabbled with combined games, like Paul I cannot really stand the format being all over the place and the second burst of potential after decline I actually think is a bug, since it is totally illogical. Main thing I did notice is the NH horses, or older flat types peak between 6 and 7 rather than 7 and 8 as they do in the NH version. There is probably little difference between them otherwise.

Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:51 pm
Group 1 winner

So far theres no rhyme n reason when a horse will improve and by how much in my jump game. I cant remember if its always been like that. One thing i've noticed over jumps is that a new horse can have more cruise bar than either of its parents, i've never seen that before on the flat.

Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:24 pm
Handicapper

I started a new flat game concentrating on cruise and extra speed.
I found 75% cruise and 95% extra speed from different game horses early on.
I now have about 10 stallions and 10 mares with 75% cruise and more with 74 73 etc.
Extra speed has dropped to 93% for both stallion and mares with only one old mare at 95%.
Combining high cruise and high extra speed with my 100% potential horses is the task now.
Looks like you have to hold on to cruise and extra speed because they don't improve only get worse.
Yes I did trial some that looked half decent but they were awful.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:30 pm
Handicapper

davylad wrote:
I started a new flat game concentrating on cruise and extra speed.
I found 75% cruise and 95% extra speed from different game horses early on.
I now have about 10 stallions and 10 mares with 75% cruise and more with 74 73 etc.
Extra speed has dropped to 93% for both stallion and mares with only one old mare at 95%.
Combining high cruise and high extra speed with my 100% potential horses is the task now.
Looks like you have to hold on to cruise and extra speed because they don't improve only get worse.
Yes I did trial some that looked half decent but they were awful.

What you are describing is exacly what happened in my new save.

As far as trialling new horses goes, Josh mentioned that horses from a new save were about 10 lengths slower as well and so are my new horses even with better bars. I think what you have to remember is your new save is still only a few seasons old compared to your old save.

Once your new save is 20 - 25 seasons old and you have a good group of horses trial those horses, find the best 5 stallions and the best 15 - 20 mares who performed the best in the CK. Get rid of every other horse and concentrate on breeding best CK with best CK horses.

I haven't got to this stage yet, only 15 seasons into new save. I reckon it will take about 40 seasons of breeding before horses from my new save catch up with the horses from my old 90+ seasons save.

Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2