View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Season 14 Reviews 
Group 1 winner

Post Season 14 Reviews
Firstly a huge thanks to everyone who runs the league from race runners to handicappers and commentators
You all do a mighty job for very little thanks without you this league would not happen. A VERY BIG THANK YOU
It was a great season very few if any disagreements it went very smoothly

I will post my review soon just getting my stats together please feel free to post yours below

Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Season 14 Reviews
JUMPS TEAM
my jumpers Boxed above their weight all season producing a great season for me that elusive grade 1 slipped by again
but plenty to be happy about. Sadly this will be my last jumps team for a while as I need to put time into rebuilding my
flat team.

FLAT TEAM
A Truly god awful season my horses for this season were superior to last seasons horses who did really well especially
in the classic but this year has been so disheartening only one horse hit his target and that was George Orwell winning the
Gold Cup. My final runner of the season Amazon River won my 2nd G1 of the year taking the Temo Sho apart from that the
season was nothing short of a disaster it hurt that they were so bad alot of them did not even qualify to run in end of season G1s
I just cant fathom how so many horses did so badly at so many distances but has opened my eyes and I need to change things
I have new Australian and British games and can only hope for a slight improvement next season cant expect too much as I have
fallen light years behind.

Congratulations to all the champions

and thanks again to all the team behind the scenes

Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Its was a Wow season for my flat team, it totally shocked me how good they turned out apart from my very average stayers. :D

When i get time it will be interesting to see how Mystic Goddess kids got on and how well Paddy Chalks offspring did, i think rather well :D . Biggest disappointment was Mystic Goddess getting DQ in her final start. Back to having a small flat team next season , enjoying playing my jumps game.

I'm glad i started a new jumps game , even though most of my horses were average h'cappers i still enjoyed as much winning a low h'cap jump race as a grade 1 flat race. I did win a grade1 with Nicki Dee and a grade2 with Valiant Rest. Trying to breed some front running( love front runners) jump horses again. :D

Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:19 pm
Group 2 winner

First of all thanks to everyone for keeping the league going, despite my late rant about hold up horses I really enjoyed everything about it. Mart done an unreal job on comms, always adding extra little bits make it so much better. An I do like your rants, mostly :) Alex been amazing I think, not only doing the H'capping but also taking over from Gray, hope you're feeling better soon Gray. Great job mate An all the lads in the background, races runners, who probably don't get enough credit, handicappers an leon for behind the scenes stuff in TOM

Congrats to Josh winning the Jumps an John winning the flat title (on the bridle in the end). I wont go into the hold up thing again :) Amazing strike rate though John, an fully deserved. I'm coming for those sprinters next season though :)

Me an Josh ended up tied on 49 2nd's each too. Which was the real big one. Unreal amount that, probably sums my team up though as most of those 2nds will have been 10 lengths off the pace after a furlong of the race

Good season for me personally, just losing the title, probably at the Breeders cup week, where my horses always struggle. Picked up no winners I don't think an John, powered through them with some very nice horses. Think I cost myself it by going with offcast sprinters and 2yo's. They have always been my strongest horses, but this season I hadn't improved them at all. Not played that game in a long long time. I've now fixed that an my sprinters have improved so much already at my trials, so hopefully i can at least compete in that category next season. My other game I'm busy trying to change the tactics of my horses. It wont be easy, but I desperately need to get them not being tailed off at the start. It's cost me badly in a lot of races. Look at the amount of 2nds, it needs addressing.

Top 5 horses of Stable in order;

Memphis Potential - 12 furlongs - On his day very very good, but was too reliant on the pace of the race. Suffered being a hold up horse, but managed 2 group1 wins and a group1 H'cap along with a group2. Won his maiden by 7 lengths too
El Paso Dual - 16 furlongs - Winner of 4 races, all group races including 2 group1s. Very good, an ultra consistent, very rarely being out of the top 3
Meridian Frances - 10 Furlong 3yo - A complete disappointment, she really is exceptional in my trials, but massively disappointed in the league
Meridian Swell - 12 Furlong 3yo - Exactly the same as Meridian Frances, ran in mostly the same races an managed to win the Victorian Oaks in what was a weakened race.
Costa Messa Coming - 10 furlong - 3 Group 1 wins over 10f. Ultra competitive in top races, but couldn't handle Johns beasts on the Dirt. Being bred with as we speak so hopeful to get some handier ridden horses from him

Flat Team

3yo

Jinan Spring - One of very few from my old sprint game. Only noticed after uploading that he is still 3 in the game, so may have missed a trick in getting him to 4 to upload. Bred from 2 colts who have done well in the league before and uploaded solely for the Commonwealth, still debating taking him out to make space for others, but a serious horse on his day - Ended up being very average, beaten by Jims 3yo's comfortably, always coming too late, then never competitive against the older horses

Meridian Master - From the new game, however, although wining the 1000 Guineas last season, an a few grade 1s, I just can't get excited about my milers. Likely to be my worst distance. They could pick up the odd decent race if the pace is fast enough though - Bred from the Osaka Play lines. Complete flop, won the Craven then was 2nd in the St James Palace, but couldn't compete in H'capps afterwards

Anaheim Brush Complete freak with a fast pace, if the guineas is a fast race, she'll stand a chance of swooping late. Without a fast pace she struggles a bit though. Has about 6 of my very good league horses in the breeding, Osaka Play, Hefei Delta, Xinyi Player to name a few, so hopeful she takes to league format - Exactly the same as Meridian master, complete flop who couldn't even handle handicaps

Anaheim Gille - Yet another stemming from Osaka Play, looks like the French Derby was designed for him, should run well in anything up to 1m4 though - Very bizarre horse. Only expecting my 3yos to compete in their own age group, he failed at the 3yo level where I expected him to do well, then randomly went on to win 2 group1 races for older horses. One of those he dead heated with a John Morgan freak on Dirt. Currently deciding whether to breed with him. So inconsistent, but currently a lot better as a 4yo in my trials, so who knows, may make a return, although doubtful, another who suffers from being held up too much

Anaheim Nation - My Derby horse, likely only uploaded due to the other horses being far too good at 4 to use as 3yos. Very well bred from Osaka and my sprint lines combined. Very good in his own right, an not quite as reliant on a fast pace as some of my others, which could help in the 3yo classics -
Exactly as thought with the pace angle. Triple derby winner in English, Irish an Victorian, also ran some good races against the older horses. Probably my best horse in the league

El Paso Morant - Could be my first 1m6 horse I've ever uploaded with any expectations. First season trialling he scored a perfect 75 points out of 75, meaning he won all 15 races. All by about 5 lengths too. Granted at the time he wasn't beating too much, but he still wins it well now I have a lot of competition for him. Could be a player in the Leger hopefully. His Grand Sire is Memphis Potential, while his Mares side is all milers an sprinters, so odd he turned out a 1m6-2m horse - Excellent performance. Was in for the Leger alone really, and it was probably his worst run of the season. He managed to win a group1 for older horses, an was either 2nd or 3rd in a lot of other group races.

Older Horses

Putian Three - 5f horse that thrives on softer conditions. An improvement on my previous season 5f horses, so could be up there in right conditions - Never once got to run on his preferred good to soft/soft conditions. He still managed to win a couple of group races, and was very close in a few group1s. Decent performance overall

Putian Lightning similar to Three, 5f horse who is much better on good an former ground. Decided to put both in to cover all bases for the out an out sprints. Expect him to be right up there on better ground - won his group1 early in the season, then seemed to disappear. I tried to use him as a pacemaker in the end an even that failed. Weird how much his form dipped 2nd half of the season, but disappointing

Meridian Prime - If you thought my 6f horses like to challenge late before, this guy is on another level. He has an unreal talent, but if he doesn't get the pace the league races may get the better of him. Likely to pop up in the big races. Descendant of Osaka Play for some reason turned out a sprinter. Weirdly has Osaka Play as his Great Great Grand Sire, but even earlier than that, has both Xinyi Player an Xinyi Nightngale in his lines. Not seen that before, but they are the best sprinters I ever produced in the league. both mares who never directly produced much, but have since popped up producing a lot from the Mares I kept to breed with because they were well bred but average in the CK. This lad is a prime example of my breeding techniques. - Nailed his summary here, always staying on way too late. 2nd in a couple of group1s, an very rarely out the top 4 in races, but was never gonna get the required pace to win many.

Putian Marian My only returning horse this season. She was uploaded as a 3yo last season, when my 3yo's are nowhere near my older horses in terms of sprinting. She still managed to beat the older horses in a group1 an compete very well in the others. On that form she should do well as a 4yo, and still up there in my trials - Same as Prime above, always staying on in the sprints, an rarely out the top 4. Did win the TJ Smith Group1 comfortably, but was thrown out for no apparent reason. Shes currently only 5 in my game an being bred with, but very hopeful of some good offspring

Sandy Springs Happy - Another of my milers that on her day looks great, but seems to need the pace of the race to be just right. Good enough horse, an beats last seasons milers by a distance an they both won group1s, but there's just a lack of confidence in my mile team, very much out of my sprint lines. - As I thought, by far my worst distance was a mile, this was probably my best, running a few good races an getting close a few times in group races, but still not good enough, I just cant get my milers going at all

Anaheim Recast - Very very similar to SS Happy above, runs exactly the same way, needs exactly the same kind of pace, but instead of being from my sprint lines, is from my middle distance lines. Hoping to split the 2 up an get lucky in a couple of the big races - Same, ran close a few times staying on in the top races, but never threatened to win any. another poor miler

El Paso Intrigue - 10f horse likely to do best on softer grounds and dirt. Another out of Memphis Potential. Didn't inherit the 100 potential but is still very good in my trials. Hoping for some very big runs over 10, but may even get a little further - The most disappointing of my older middle distance horses. Never looked like threatening in the big races. Ran well in handicapps, which is bizarre as he was only a tiny bit behind Costa messa coming in my trials

Xinji Place - 10f horse an a bit of a strange one. Out of Osaka Play, but one of my few none grey horses. Will be better on firmer ground. Changed my 10f trials completely when I trialled him. Completely destroying everything that came before. Still very much in the mix, despite the competition vastly improving too. However the stats just aren't very good at all, and he has bred next to nothing any good. Just seems to have whatever the CK gene is in spades. Likely to be one of those horses you upload with high expectations that just never performs in the league. If a super Colt in my trials fails to produce any good offspring, it usually means he'll be no good in the league either. Just one of my little theories - Ran some good races without ever getting a seat in the group1s. A horse that definitely needed holding up too much for league racing, but possibly worth going back to in my breeding if I can get a bit more pace into it

El Paso Fury - Not sure what to make of him. Doesn't seem as explosive as some of my other middle distance horses, but is extremely consistent over 1m4, always earning enough points to be right up there in the trials. Should be interesting see if he produces in the league. Grand Sire is Memphis Potential again - Well, won his first 3 races, then nothing after. Well, was still very competitive at the highest level, almost always being placed. Pretty much what I see in my trials which is a good sign. Always there or thereabouts, with the odd race in him

El Paso Thistle - Another Memphis Potential Horse. Bit of an experiment this one. I really wanted a filly 12f horse in the league and this one always wins the filly only trials each season. However, when mixed for the league trials none of my fillies were anywhere to be seen. Using her based on each seasons trials rather than the league trials. Not too hopeful in the bigger open races. May be ok in the fillies races - She was expected to only be competitive and it turned out like that. A slow start to the season but really started to find her stride. Winner of 4 races in total, an placed in almost everything else. 1 win in group1 company, as predicted, against her own sex

Anaheim Primo - Not quite as good over 2m as El Paso Dual, but still a big improvement on Reno Response. May stay 2m4, and this is the reason she's in. Not likely to stay, but will be given the chance before likely being dropped to 2m. Breeding for her has Xinyi Nightngale/Hefei delta (out an out sprinters) and Osaka Play an Memphis Potential. Bred to be very good over shorter distances, but seems better the further they go. - Not expected to be as good as Dual over 2m, however she always ran a good race, almost always placed or top 5. Won 3 races, a group3, group2 then the Melbourne cup off a very high weight, when I expected my other to beat her, so a very good season in all

Sorry for the ramble, I like to look back on these myself at the end of the season just to see what happened compared to my expectations - It was very informative to my breeding going forward

Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:56 am
Group 3 winner

Well i cant beat that write up Vinny :(
my aim was to run in group races on the flat
which i did and won 2 G1 races - won 3 G2 races - 2 G3 races and G1H races
plus many places in group races
Scottish Princess won 2 G2 races which i really like as tribute to Jim Murray for his help
biggest let down was Prison Break who was fav hose might be back next season
14 winners and 88 places on the jumps
21 wins on the flat and 104 places on the flat
DEL Mr Hollywood Hinton

Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:10 pm
Group 1 winner

Just looking at my team and it was very disappointing that Mystic Goddess was DQ on her final ever start but i just looked at how many of her off-spring won at it was a :shock: :shock: :shock:

Her off-spring won a eye watering 31 group 1 races and she had 12 individual group1 winners. By far the best mare i've ever had at stud, would be in my hall of fame. :D

Another super star on the track Paddy Chalk was as good at stud, between him and his off-spring they won 19 group 1 races and 6 individual group1 winners. Just looked and only 40 of his kids made the track in game for me, so 6 out of 40 horses won a league grade 1 . I dont think i've ever had a stallion like him.

This is his list

Desert Valentine 2-group 1
Houston Times 1-group 1
Angle Flo 1-group 1
Angie Baby 4-group 1
Fast Tempo 3-group 1
Birchwood 4-group 1

Desert Valentine possibly my most impressive sprinter ever will be back next year and hopefully he can pass on some of that ability to his off-spring like his dad, not bred to him yet so time will tell.

Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:22 pm
Group 2 winner

ghostzapper74 wrote:
Just looking at my team and it was very disappointing that Mystic Goddess was DQ on her final ever start but i just looked at how many of her off-spring won at it was a :shock: :shock: :shock:

Her off-spring won a eye watering 31 group 1 races and she had 12 individual group1 winners. By far the best mare i've ever had at stud, would be in my hall of fame. :D

Another super star on the track Paddy Chalk was as good at stud, between him and his off-spring they won 19 group 1 races and 6 individual group1 winners. Just looked and only 40 of his kids made the track in game for me, so 6 out of 40 horses won a league grade 1 . I dont think i've ever had a stallion like him.

This is his list

Desert Valentine 2-group 1
Houston Times 1-group 1
Angle Flo 1-group 1
Angie Baby 4-group 1
Fast Tempo 3-group 1
Birchwood 4-group 1

Desert Valentine possibly my most impressive sprinter ever will be back next year and hopefully he can pass on some of that ability to his off-spring like his dad, not bred to him yet so time will tell.

This is a scary thought :)

My 6f horses in the league were from my old sprint game. I only use that sprint game now for 5f horses really. They have completely taken off. I hadn't played it for ages an just used old horses in Putian Three an Lightening. I've since beaten them out of sight (once I started playing it again) Lightening isn't even making my trials now, and Three just about.

My new 6f horses going forward will be from my new mixed game. The likes of Costa Messa Coming, Memphis Potential, El Paso Fury, El Paso Dual, an Anaheim Primo all came from this game. These lines all come from the legend that is Osaka Play who is in all their lines somewhere. But in that game I had my old sprint lines too. I have since come up with a lot of front rank 6f horses that have blown my old lot away now. I'm hoping the different running style means they'll be better suited to challenging yours an Jims sprinters. One in particular is Fujin Cold who I am currently about to breed with. I'm looking forward to him, but hes a 6f horse, bred from a 1m4 horse somehow

Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:43 am
Group 1 winner

I dont think there is much more improvement to come out of most of my horses apart from the 2m+ plus horses . I looked last night and Desert Valentine was the last horse Paddy Chalk ever bred. I think my sprinters will just beat each other up now, i noticed in my trials for the half way opening that over 10 horses were within 2L. Most of my best league horses fillies+colts i've not bred to yet so that will be fun when i get the chance , probably in april.

The one horse i noticed that has now left my game Gallo Chop ( impressive classic winner) that i only gave a few horses to and none of his kids made the track for me. I wonder why i never used him , something must have put me of him ,

Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:28 pm
Group 2 winner

looks like all My horses all need a slightly higher travelling speed at the minute. Should be easy enough to fix as I've noticed a lot don't have full red speed bars. I'm pretty sure that's what's causing them all to lose places as the speed increases. I've never really put too much thought into that bar though

A lot of the new sprinters all have it, so just need to get them into the middle distances now

Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:06 pm
Handicapper

Another enjoyable season for me on the flat with some great results.

2yo's
Another average crop of 2yo's but Albaflora was impressive over 10 furlongs, had many 2nd places and was unlucky not to take a big win

3yo's
Milans Richer - Won the UAE Derby and then did nothing for the rest of the season.
Golden Sixty, Medina Spirit, Ford vs Ferrari - expected more from these horses, disappointing
White Abario - Not far behind House Haydn in trials but wasn't really his season, hopefully he will come back stronger at 4yo.
Quschi Superstar - Incredible winner of the Epsom Oaks, Irish Oaks and St Leger. Amazing.

4yo+
House Haydn - Confirmed his status as one of my best ever horses, the champion 3yo, brilliant again at 4yo winning the Sheema Classic and the King George.
Hope Swell - Winner of the Winter Derby, Gordon Richards and 2nd place in the Eclipse and Prix De L'Opera.
Hukum - 2nd place in the Dubai World Cup was a great start to the season but largely disappointed, apart from a win in the Singapore Airlines Cup.
Elderberry Symphony - filly had a great season, 4 wins. Not sure what her best distance is 9 or 10 furlongs.
Endangered Beast - Amazing winner of the Lincoln and the Lockinge. Otherwise inconsistent performer.

Thanks to everyone who runs the league and commentators, I hope to be back next season, with new and returning horses.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]