View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 General League and Breeding Questions 
Group 2 winner

Post Re: General League and Breeding Questions
Munas23 wrote:
I've only just moving on to step 2, hopefully step 3 in a season.

Am I right in thinking times ran in trials don't mean anything? Think I read that somewhere.

How do you split the game, is it coping the save file and renaming? Don't think I will but would be interesting to try and speed up the seasons to see if I can breed any cruise.

I only use times for consistency, anything too slow tends to mean its a completely false result, anything too quick could mean the same, an you'll end up with horses like me that are always staying on too late, an need a really fast pace

Splitting the game is just copying the file, then if its slot 6, just change all the names of the 11 files to an open slot you have like 2. Then you have 2 copies of the same game an can change the route of one. Always put the folders from the save folder to a random folder on your desktop to change the names, then add them back into the save folder with the new number.

Couldn't help with the mod sorry, I haven't used any in a long time

Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:21 pm
Group 1 winner

Munas23 wrote:
Thanks Vinny,

Maybe not the right forum, but using start it schedule and if I try and watch a race at Curragh, game crashes. Anyone know why? Not that fussed as hardly watch.

I've had nightmares since using "Start it" Schedule as good as it is, but there is plenty of bugs, it will crash a lot when using International courses, I wish I hadn't used on my current saves. :lol:

Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:46 am
Selling plater

Thanks Anadin,

Yeah for me I've worked it out that its only on that one course, so i just 'see result' for that track. Don't really watch many races in general but is annoying. I do save after spending time entering all horses into races etc. Saving does slow the CPU down and makes it laggy but better than losing a few months.

Yeah after getting involved I've realised a custom schedule would save so much time, but I wouldn't know where to start or have the time.

Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:07 pm
Selling plater

Hi all,

Ive exported a horse, its running this set of trails, but because i love the ck/export area ive deleted from ck.

Am i able to load an exported horse back in so i can trail against? Dont think its an amazing horse but its my best over the longer distances and feel i need them to compare too.

Thanks

Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:30 pm
Handicapper

Munas23 wrote:
Hi all,

Ive exported a horse, its running this set of trails, but because i love the ck/export area ive deleted from ck.

Am i able to load an exported horse back in so i can trail against? Dont think its an amazing horse but its my best over the longer distances and feel i need them to compare too.

Thanks

If you've just deleted it and haven't exported any horses since, there is a hdb_Munas23.bak file which you can change to hdb_Munas23.db and delete the original data base file. Documents - starters orders - saves. The .bak file could have been backed up before you deleted the horse.

Before you do, take a copy of the files in your saves folder. I take regular back ups in case of these scenarios.

If you have exported horses since, then no I don't think you can get the horse back.

Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:41 pm
Selling plater

Thanks,

Yes I think it's too late then. I rushed through some exports yesterday to get them into the trails

Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:32 pm
Group 2 winner

Never rush, that would be my main bit of advice to anyone. Do things at a slow pace no matter what. it's better to play 2 seasons correctly, than 10 season wrong

Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:19 pm
Selling plater

Rushing wasn't the issue, as it seems the horse was delete from CK a week ago. It's the user ability of the CK, which just scares me. Never rush inside the CK because it's just mistakes waiting to happen, I guess one out of 1000 horses isn't bad. Do have the file to enter into races if needed.

Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:48 pm
Selling plater

Hi all,
I’m sorry this got long, as I’ve been jotting down notes the last week.

Thought it was a good time to ask a few more questions, after a few rounds of trails. They came at a good time as I was starting to lose interest. I was worried if my horses were dead last, that was me done. My horses have been solid without ever looking like winning. Which is encouraging.

I’m up to season 48 now.

I’ve noticed lately my stable has somewhat stalled last 10 seasons. I think the overall level has come up, for example my trails are closer but it’s the old guard just keep getting the job done. Is this type of stalling normal? I’ve also been unlucky, and my best horses have all been fillies. Think I need a killer stallion to kick things off.

I went back and reread this and the other league tips posts. It seems most talk about cruising burst over 60 is a cut off for some. My good horses are lucky to be 55, most closer to 50. I do have a line I’m trying to get into my game which is close to 70 but the potential of these horses is closer to 90 than 100. Would you cull a horse of under 50 cruising burst if not a sprinter?

When does Cruising Burst start to take effect? ie not really needed for 5 furlong, but is needed over a mile?

My now cut off, yearlings have to be above 85 potential with realised 60, if they have better cruising burst I will keep realised above 50. I read Vinne (who week 2 was very impressive) said he will keep above 80. Am I being too strict? Should I lower the bar.

I feel time, as in seasons, is the way to move my horses forward. To do this quicker I might tighten my standards, will I miss too many opportunities?
As my game develops do people start culling based on a horse must have Finish Application, and Consistency of 100. Is this a thing?

Apart from trying to get a trait higher, where you would use a lower potential horses. Do people only use a stallion with 100 potential? Or will you use a 95, if that horse has trialled better. If you do use the 95 horse does this stall the ability to get full potential horse. I think this is what i may have done.

Thanks everyone

Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:24 pm
Selling plater

Well...
Since the post I was doing my trails. I have been playing 2 seasons and then doing trails on those 2.
During leaving each trail a random 'other trainer' screen would come up but I'd just press esc and be back at the setting up race screen.
When closing game, it went back to that screen and to exit i pressed save/quit as it was only option. It closed. When I went to open my game a random save game was in the slot, at season 1.
While I do have a back up save, its over a week old and most likely 4 or 6 seasons behind.
This is a massive kick in the guts as the last few days I lost a few hours because it kept crashing and I hadn't saved after every massive race entries.

I'm so annoyed! It is such an unstable game. I'm paying on a high end gaming PC without watching races and it kills my memory.

Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:15 pm
Selling plater

If I was going to start a new save. Any recommended schedules for a flat season. Or do most just go with default?

Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:48 pm
Group 1 winner

Sadly the game is a little unstable, regular backups and copies of the export file folder remains solid advice. I have had the random trainer thing too, but it never cost me a game was just an annoyance factor and it comes and goes, not see it for a while now.

Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:13 pm
Group 1 winner

As to your other post. Yes stalling is common, you are limited to what’s in your game pool and if you go far enough you will have already tapped out the best of them. I for example cannot progress my 2m hurdlers no matter what I try, it’s been like this for 50 seasons or more. The hardest thing the longer the game goes for is to hold your stats the game will constantly try and degrade you.

And yes stallions are key.

Potential is the most important stat, the rest is value add, I have had g1 winners in the league with only 35 cruise but it’s much more important on the flat. But it’s not a magic wand, I have plenty of high cruise trial donkeys. Focus on potential 80-85 is about right for flat and NH, realised of 60-65. But those with lower are still good to breed, even the stallions.

All you can do is keep mixing trial success with potential and other favourable stats and hope. And yes I do prioritise consistency and finish in my breeding stations, but I will not cull a racer on the basis of these alone, I just try and breed this out.

Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:22 pm
Group 2 winner

losing 6 seasons like that really is annoying, it's happened to all of us at some point, and going over the same things you've already done can be really annoying.

On the other subjects mentioned. Stalling is definitely very common during a game. I find mine stall every few 10-15 seasons once the foreign stallions stop appearing in the breeding barn. This is also where me an Josh disagree on the Stallions an Mares being important. To stop this stalling, for me it's all about the mares in your barn, but not overall. Overall the Stallions you choose are vitally important obviously. However, I find these stalls tend to appear after I get a big influx of Mares. In my game, I tend to go in spells of good Stallions, then for a while, all I get is very good Fillys. During these periods of Fillys (the stalls) I try to veer away from my very best stallions I've been using. I still use them, but try to add in some of their offspring stallions who were close, but not quite as good in the trials races. Some of my best league horses have come from this method. Try to find Stallions who are still good in the CK, but maybe not quite as good as the best, but they may offer something slightly different in terms of the stats they have, i.e it may just be cruise 57.5 when your best stallions only have 50-55. Use these Stallions with your best mares, which will also likely have cruise at 50-55. Obviously this works for potential an the bottom stats too, I group the bottom stats as a separate 'one' stat. So this includes Finish application, enthusiasm, Confidence, Consistency, Distance adaptability, and Going adaptability. If you can get 3 of these as 100 an the rest around 50 you're doing well.

In summary, At the point of the stall, always use stats as your basis for breeding. Increase the amount of Stallions you're breeding from, using the second tier from your trials too. Also use as many Mares as you can, making sure they are breeding to a stallion that requires the stats the Mare carries.

This is what I've always meant by the Mares being super important. You find that some Mares who aren't quite your best in the trials, carry forward the stats they have really well, and end up getting you that stallion that carry's forward your breeding again. The Stallions are massively important when you get them, but once the game stalls, it's the mares that you have in your barn that will kick it on again.

I tend to see my games in different spells now. Ones when I am getting really good stallions, then another spell where all my best horses are Mares, so I start using a lot more Stallions from my list, and game stallions to get the breeding going again.

I hope that makes sense an isn't too much of a waffle. Also, anything I say, only counts towards a flat game. I have played very little Jumps games. Please don't apply any of mine over Josh if it's for jumps horses

Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:55 am
Group 2 winner

I've never culled anything over 80% potential at 1. I don't get any horses below 90-95% at 3yos now, an a lot of 100s now coming in. If I was you I'd lower that 85 to at least 80. You could be losing some good horses around the 90 potential mark. To get competitive in the league in the bigger handicaps, an maybe even sneak a few group races, around 90 would be enough if they are good enough in the Construction Kit trials. It will also help build up a better pool of Mares in your barn for the longer term.

If you have enough above 95% + potential Mares in your barn, then breeding from a stallion that wins your trials, or gets close to winning your trials but only has 90% will improve your lines massively, as you'll get the 95% potential from the mares, and the really high CK ability from the Stallion. That's how you get the good Stallions to progress from an move to the stallion phase of the game

The bigger pool of Mares you have in your barn, with good quality breeding, even if they don't win your trials. The better for cutting out these stalls in your game. This is why any mare that scores a point in my trials is sent to stud for about 5 years at least, even if it's only a couple of 5th places from the 15 races. Then at say 12-14yo in the barn, check their offspring, if they've produced nothing then get rid. Getting rid once a season of the Mares that are this age an not producing, helps keep the numbers down in the breeding barn an in your game

Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next