View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Trialling question for league 
Handicapper

Post Trialling question for league
How do you guys do the races? Do you set them to group one with the obvious penalties for age/sex etc. I have done that since day 1 but today I set all my 3YO to 80 in the handicap and ran 0-80 handicaps so they all carried equal weight and my results were massively different to when I ran them as group ones.

For instance one of my horses now wins every single race between 1M 1F and 2M 2F. But running group ones he was finishing between 4th and 9th every time even tho I was only running the same 3YO horses.

Which results should I use as the better ones for the league??? I wasn't going to upload this horse until today.

Thanks in advance

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:59 am
Group 2 winner

I always trial G1 because the races I will hopefully be aiming my horses at will be G1, but you should use what works best for you.

When selecting my stable for the league I use 8 courses(4 left 4 right) and will run twice at each course, I will have results from 16 races on various ground the most consistent horses will be selected for my stable.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:12 pm
Handicapper

Thanks Kenny, I will carry on my trialling and hopefully get a couple of ok horses this time round.

I lost a 30 season save just before the upload period 1st time so blasting thru a few seasons and will hopefully have a couple of ok horses for this upload window haha

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:15 pm
Group 2 winner

I find that horses that battle well at the finish are best, the horse that gets headed but manages to battle back and get his head in front on the finish line or that horse that just want let another horse get passed him/her in a finish.

I want my stable to be full of Giant's Causeway types.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:23 pm
Handicapper

Like kenny I always test at group 1 level as these are the races I target too, and it ensures male and female horses carry the correct weights. I've never tested at any other level than group 1, I suspect the different results you're getting when you set the handicaps to 80 is because the male horses are now carrying equal weight with the female horses rather than the minimum of 3 pound extra they normally carry at g1 level.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:39 pm
Group 1 winner

Does that mean if you were aiming a horse at maiden and handicap company you'd trial in handicaps or would you always trial in G1 class?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:51 pm
Group 2 winner

Trialling G1 is the best way of finding your best horses, there is no sex of age allowance when you trial in handicaps if you reset all your horses to 75.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:11 pm
Handicapper

Does that mean if you were aiming a horse at maiden and handicap company you'd trial in handicaps or would you always trial in G1 class?

If I'm going to enter into a handicap, and I have a few horses to choose from, then I will alter the handicap to see who is the best, I try to do the same when I know a horse is going to carry a group penalty.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]