View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Suggestion for Handicaps 
Group 1 winner

Post Suggestion for Handicaps
I think if you really wanted to keep handicap races true you could introduce a limit of 20 or 15 horse fields with the highest rated horses getting in.

1. This would only allow the best rated horses in the handicap thus eliminating the ones that might get in lightly due to incorrect placement in previous races to get a handicap boost. So if you do decide to misplace your horse in an effort to get a better handicap you do so at your own peril due to the low rating and miss out!!!!! As in real life you might not get them all but you will get most.

2. The problem then would arise as the best horses get in, so what's the point? Well you could also introduce a condition of non winners or placers for all handicaps. We are talking about minor handicaps here.

3. The placers would then argue that they are disadvantaged but I believe would still be competitive in maidens. This I believe agrees with EPW idea of more maidens and handicaps in the league with more emphasis on maidens. So after 3 or 4 weeks you would filter out the winners and placers and leave opportunity for the less competitive horses with the chance to win in minor handicaps. Having more maidens as in real life will help push along this process.

Imo, 1 & 2 day UK League sounds like a very good idea where you would have about six or so races of Listed, Group races for the second day.

Let's face it the purpose of the league for the most is to get that first or second winner and give the new player the thrill of winning and making the league enjoyable for all. This all sounds like a lot of work but if we all put in it could work.

Just my thoughts and would like your input and correction.

Cheers to all.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:09 pm
How about some maiden handicaps. 50-80 etc

The ratings idea is good as well - and true to life.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:35 am
Group 1 winner

I do like the idea of the top 20 horses getting into a handicap but I want to avoid having lots and lots of rules and sub-rules, especially because people declare their horses at different times in the week and they could enter a horse, in good faith, early in the week only to miss out. There's got to be a balance between realism and ease of use.

I believe the minimum 3 runs to get into a handicap is enough to have everyone starting on level footing. In fact, weight in SO4 is probably more of a hindrance than it has been in previous games so it's never been as easy to win a handicap in the league.

Having said that, I still stick by the theory that winning a race in the league should not be easy.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:38 am
Like banging your head against a bloody wall with this guy and his all conquering three runs solves everything - I give up.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:20 pm
Group 1 winner

Rivers lets just see how it goes for the 1st season and decide next season what needs looking at.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:12 pm
Group 1 winner

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:40 pm
Group 1 winner

The good thing is we can change it on the go, I agree that it needs addressing so we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, we'll tweak it again.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:50 pm
Group 1 winner

do you have a date in mind rich? looking forward to it starting, hope i improve on my first season, thats my only goal

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:52 pm
Group 1 winner

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]