View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Preview - NHC Week 2 Race 12 Elite Limited Hurdle 
Group 1 winner

Post Preview - NHC Week 2 Race 12 Elite Limited Hurdle
NHC Week 2 Race 12 £50,000 Elite Limited Hurdle Race Preview
Racecourse: Wincanton
Going: Heavy
Open for horses of all sexes, aged 4yo and up. This is a grade 2 race, and can give an early indication of horses which will challenge for the Smurfit Kappa Champion Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival. A quality line-up this season despite of the bottomless ground, with a few undefeated records on the line. Let’s take a look at the runners and riders:

1. Chinese Whisper (HurricaneRun) – 5yo Stallion – M Bradburne (11st 3) – 122. Eye-catching winner on debut run over 2m2f at Market Rasen in week 1. Travelled well, jumped fluently, took up the running over 3f out and never looked in doubt. The runner-up that day, Princess Wisteria (Hemz), kept on challenging right to the line but this horse always looked to have that runner held. Faces tougher opposition today, drops back 2 furlongs in trip, and the ground is a massive concern. Trainer believes however that the heavy ground may allow stamina to be brought into play. Respected.

2. Cordero (Green Park Racing) – 5yo Stallion - A Tinkler (11st 3) – 0. Fell over the larger obstacles at Market Rasen in week 1, which perhaps had led the trainer to rethink his plans for this horse as the fences are notoriously easy at that course. Perhaps hurdling will be more suited to this horse, but with ability over hurdles unknown, the step up in company in addition to different ground and trip this horse can only be watched this week. Outsider.

3. Faramir Askarar (Hemz123) – 5yo Stallion – R Walford (11st 3) – 115. Fantastic looking stallion from a top jumps yard. Threw the kitchen sink at Sea Nymph in week 1 but was just denied after jumping well all race and showing bags of speed; looked the winner close to home but was just outfought and denied. Trainer believes Sandra Bullock will be almost impossible to beat barring accidents. Still though, this trainer doesn’t enter horses for races unless he believes they have a genuine chance to land the spoils. Leading contender.

4. Ming The Adultress (Nick Driver) – 4yo Colt – T Scudamore (11st 3) – 0. Another horse who went chasing in week 1. Finished towards the rear of the field, 6/8 t Punchestown over 2miles. The trainer will be hopeful of a better showing here, however has expressed concerns over the horses work over hurdles at home. Overlooked here due to the class of some in opposition. Outsider.

5. Mourayan (Traynor94) – 5yo Stallion – H Skelton (11st 3) – 0. Competed in the Mark Loveday Maiden in week 1, a 2mile race over fences. At the rear of the field when falling 6 out. Massive task on here and will have to show massive improvement to figure. Outsider.

6. Sandra Bullock (D Hooley) – 6yo Mare – C Williams (11st 0) – 144. Raced twice as a 5yo over this trip on good to soft ground. First win was in a maiden race at Doncaster, the second win crowned her the champion 2mile hurdler in the league. Beat ‘festival banker’ Romulus Augustus to win that day where she just oozed class all the way. The trainer has the soft ground he wants, the ideal trip and therefore the ideal race to answer the one question on everyone’s minds – Is Sandra as good at 6yo as she was at 5. I get the impression that Mr Hooley believes she is, and therefore we can expect her to run a big race here before being aimed at a defence of her crown at the festival in week 12. The one they all have to beat. Favourite.

7. Sea Nymph (K Robertson) – 4yo Colt – P Aspell (11st 3) – 116. Impossible to be anything but impressed with the way this horse battled past older horses to win over this trip in week 1. Beat a few highly regarded sorts in Faramir Askarar and Mandango Fandango, showing every quality needed to be a champion hurdler. Exciting prospect for this season and in the future as he matures with age. Once again meets Faramir Askarar as well as two other unbeaten hurdlers. Ground may be a concern for the trainer but i’m sure he is confident his young hurdler can pull out all the stops yet again and prove himself to be a star in the making. Leading contender.

8. Uncertain Reserve (FiXiT) – 4yo Colt – S Thomas (11st 3) – 100. Trainer had a couple of good winners in week 1, however this horse was one in the stable that did not live up to expectation. Weakening when making a mistake at the last, finishing 6th in the race won by Sea Nymph. Finding it hard to envisage the horse improving to reverse placings with the other runners that day. The trainer did begin the season with high hopes however, so this horse cannot be completely ignored. Outsider.

OVERVIEW – On paper this has to be the race of the season so far, and it is exciting that so early in the season we have a clash between three unbeaten horses. Chinese Whisper impressed the handicapper most of the two debut winners in week 1, however there are too many concerns too be able to pick this one out with confidence. Faramir Askarar and Sea Nymph are closely matched on their performances last week, however I think the Kenny Robertson horse is a star in the making and will lay down the toughest challenge to last year’s Champion Hurdle winner. The ground favours the champion however, and if reappearing somewhere near her best, SANDRA BULLOCK will be the horse who maintains her unbeaten record. Sea Nymph rates the main danger, with Faramir Askarar and Chinese Whisper the two who could spring an early season surprise.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:49 am
Group 2 winner

Great read HR, hope your right about Sea Nymph I had to throw him in at the deep end, win or lose I'll know how good he is, this is a learning season for me in the NHC hopefully I'll have a better NHC stable next season.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:47 pm
Group 1 winner

yeh same here, didnt get many weeks of nhc last season as i didnt upload any for it til week 4 or 5 so had a few weeks. looks like we both have a few decent types this season going on first week.

glad you enjoyed it kenny, i will try and do 1 or 2 each week

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:18 pm
Group 1 winner

great preview, ming will take a pasting here me thinks!! will be good to see sandra back to winning ways!

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:46 pm
Group 1 winner

also the Haldon Gold Cup, Charlie Hall, Persian War Novices Hurdle, Old Roan - what a week of jumps racing. i love it!!

Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]